Medical devices and autoimmunity

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I remember 5 years ago having a iud ( won’t name it...) having lots of discomfort but bearing with it for I was told it was all normal. So kept enduring tummy pain, swollen breasts, bloathing etc.  Itching vulva and anus was also going on but never linked anything because i had eczema younger. But eczema never made anything fuse nor white patches. I’m not saying that the iud caused my LS but tonight I’m watching on tv a special program ( documentary) that talks about different medical devices and possible immune problems. Just saying it’s interesting to see how we can get different things put in our bodies not just iud’s but different devices thinking they’re to better our lives ( but in reality we have no knowledge of the substances composing those devices) ...

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Forgot to say.... 6 months later I was still in constant pain and got it removed.  Never touched another contraceptive . Just was carreful. And one year later got hysterectomy doctor found a grapefruit size fibroid. 
  • Posted

Hi,  I had my first IUD ( better known as copper 7)inserted. This was right after my first child , 1977 -1981  at that time I thought it was the best thing.   Never had problems. But sometimes I wonder if this device did me harm in the long run. Today I went to get my hair done my hairdresser told me she found to bald spots. I’m seeing a dermatologist on Tuesday. Could it be because of my LS (autoimmune). Is any one having this problem.  Thanks 

• Posted

I got alopeca areata out of the blue 4 years ago...manage it well with Dermotologist. Last year got LS

Manage it well with OB. Have had hypthyroid since 40yrs old ( I'm 54)

• Posted

Hi Terri, that's a good question and I do wonder as I have no hair under my armpits, hardly any on my legs but the most embarrassing things is that I have a penny sized bald spot on the top of my Vjay...so I do wonder if it is all connected.

• Posted

No hair sounds like lack of testosterone? Hv you had hormone levels checked? 
    • Posted

Hi Karen.  I will get that check. I’m so bless I found this forum.   I ve learned a great deal from all of you. Any information is grately appreciation.  I will also call my family Dr to get my hormones checked. ❤️❤️
    • Posted

Hi Karen/Terri I have just done some 'digging around' and discovered that there is a sister condition called lichen planopilaris and thats what you might have Terri...google it..maybe I have it as well because I also have Oral lichen Planus..it would explain stuff.. 

Terri, you would need to have a proper diagnosis and possibly treatment would be corticosteroids or immune suppressants like Methotrexate.

Anyone else got ridges on their nails? cos I have that as well, again, its connected somehow.

• Posted

Ok Thankyou i will look into it.❤️
  • Posted

Hi this was very interesting! I had a copper IUD inserted in March and was diagnosed with LS last month but I have had no issues with IUD itself. Did your LS symptoms slow down or improve after removal? Or has it even gone away?
  • Posted

This makes sense to me about 5/6 years ago I had a tvt-o operation and problems since had to have tvt-o repair then vaginal dryness thrush and a vulval itching and now waiting to have the

tat-o removed and have recently been diagnosed with LS 

• Posted

Hi, interesting, I had the merena coil when I was about 35, very similar symptoms to you. Persevered with the constant feeling of it and symptoms for 3 years before I had it removed. Hysterectomy when I was 42, due to heavy bleeding and a fibroid too!
  • Posted

Hi Bridgitte, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection, I also had a coil fitted about 10 years ago and had it in for about five years before removal.

• Posted

Agreed, that’s why Dr said to go Paleo- back to all natural before all this crap came out that we put into our bodies. 

I had 5 vials of blood taken last week to check for auto- immune antibodies, check all hormone levels ( not in menopause yet. Period every 28 days), check thyroid, and check liver levels for liver “ congestion”- siggested by Nancy KB. 

I’ll let ya’ll know what tests say.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.