Medicare Coverage for HoLEP

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have aligned myself with a top-notch surgeon for the HoLEP procedure. I know this surgery is the latest and greatest for BPH and I am excited that I have finally come to an end to my misery.

The one thing I have to get clear in my mind is Medicare coverage

(USA only). I got so caught up with the medical explanation that I clearly forgot to mention the "bill". I know that Medicare covers hospital and surgical expences and the Group that I am seeing has all my insurance info on file. 

Bottom line here is. HAS ANYONE ON THIS THREAD HAD HoLEP WHILE UNDER MEDICARE???

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

James.... a couple more things about HoLEP at Mayo.....after your surgery is schduled, you can call their finance office and they will give you an estimate of out-of-pocket costs.

Also, you probably know that you will have some blood and urine leakage for a couple weeks or so after surgery.  The post op instructions I got didn't really address it.  You should take a male incontinence pad or brief with you to wear home so you won't soil your clothes.  I suggested they include that in their instructions, so it might be there now.  Another minor issue I had, was that after the bleeding and regular leakage stopped, I'd pee, then zip up, only to find more urine leaked out.  Just waiting 30 or 40 seconds for the 'system' to drain solved that.

In addition, their instructions are conflicting on how long to avoid lifting over 10 lbs.  One place said 2 weeks, another a month.  I'd go with a month.

I'm sure you'll be glad you had HoLEP at Mayo; I'm 4 months out & doing great.

• Posted

Hello James,

My father lives in Sun City, AZ. His urologist recently recommended TURP. I don't know details about his case, except that he does not have cancer, but BPH eventually caused total blockage requiring catheter.

I am researching online to find alternative procedures.  I'm very impressed with your posts on these forums. Can you tell me name of your MD who performed HOLEP? My dad will go visit other urologists for opinions, I want to help him find this info.

Thanks so much!

• Posted

The Mayo Clinic is tops on this. I highly recomend HoLEP as I have had outstanding results with this procedure. It is covered by Medicare. I would be glad to share my experience with you.
  • Posted

James, I believe I saw that you had surgery at Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. Is that right?
    • Posted

My procedure was performed at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center (Northwell Health) Queens, New York. The HoLEP or ThuLEP is far superior to conventional TURP and would be the choice if prostate size is a factor. The Mayo Clinic in Phoenix has a strong history with HoLEP and would be your best provider.
    • Posted

James, thank you for the quick replies. My father and I appreciate it!  Glad to hear you are doing so well after ThuLEP and that you found a great surgeon!
  • Posted

Can't comment on Medicare coverage, but I'll share my experiences.

45 yo, underwent HoLEP at IU Methodist.

1st visit ~600, Surgery ~30k. I would have to go through bills to look at personal out of pocket, but around 6k with my insurance.

Had surgery on Monday ~7am. Spent the night at hospital. Was discharged ~11am on Tuesday, spent the night at  a hotel.

I think I took my last opiate pill on Tuesday.

Wednesday my wife drove me home - ~4.5h drive. I took Uristat to manage discomfort - Dr. approved, of course.

I was back on easy cardio on Friday.

Last pink pee was on Saturday.

I found that urinating while sitting was the most comfortable during those first days.

6 months on - most nigths are no pee nights.

• Posted

I presume that you went to Dr. Lingeman in IU Methodist.  I am considering Holep also and I reside in Richfield, OH.  My urologist with the Cleveland Clinic wants to do Turp and I am trending against his advice.  What can you relate about your experience in Indiana.
    • Posted

What are the odds - another person from Cleveland area!

I live near Cleveland, had HoLEP at IU Methodist, Indianapolis. When going through pre-op checks, Dr. Lingeman mentioned that  a fellow of his will be performing HoLEPs in Cleveland.

And, he is - look up Dr. Ehud Gnessin, MD. It seems that he is practicing at University Hospitals

• Posted

Thanks for the quick reply.  Dr. Gnessin has done about 500 Holep procedures vs. Dr. Lingeman about 2000.  I will have the office consult with Dr. Gnessin and see where it goes.  If done here saves the 5 hour drive back and forth.  If I may ask, how large was your prostate and have you had any change in your PSA to indicate regrowth?  
    • Posted

I'll need to check how much tissue Dr. Lingeman removed. I am not tracking my PSA levels, according to my previous urologist, there was nothing alarming about them. Tissue pathology came back negative.

In my case, prostate was protruding into bladder forming a flap. There was also a bladder stone making things even more interesting. Bladder stone was removed during HoLEP procedure as well.

• Posted

Thanks for your comments.  All the best to you.
    • Posted

Will, coincidentaly I also live in the Cleveland area and have an appointment with Dr. Gnessin next Monday morning to discuss HoLEP.  How was your experience with Dr. Gnessin, and can you advise if you decided to proceed with  the HoLEP?  If so, was it done done at University Hospitals in Cleveland, or with Dr. Lingeman at IU in Indianapolis?   I am apparently headed down the same path you followed several months ago and am very interested to hear more of your experience.  body{zoom:115%!important;}
    • Posted

Look up a James Ulchaker, MD at the Glickman Center, Cleveland Clinic.  The guys is SECOND TO NONE.
  • Posted

Hi James.  I was wondering if Dr. Okeke was your surgeon.  Is ThruLep the same as HoLEP?  Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.