Medicated home detox starts tommorrow

Posted , 7 users are following.

Eeek.....Any hints, tips or general advice would be appreciated for the next week. I am taking Vit B compound and Thiamine already. Nervous and anxious.

I have had Detox before and was sober for 6 months but thought i was fixed so hoped i could drink socially. I did until i went on an all inclusive holiday......huge mistake!! As soon as i got home I started drinking at home again on evenings.

Anyway.... here's to the future and staying alcohol free.........

2 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Shelley! How did you do? Thinking of you and remembering my attempts at detox.  It will behard..but you can do this...you have done this before!
  • Posted

Not done it yet Missy2 . start in the morning! I am excited but anxious!! Hard in what way?  Done before but told it gets harder each time?? X

• Posted

Hello Shelley,

How is your Home Detox going?

How do you actually do it ?

All I can think of is lots of water... and vitamins as you said.  What about Coconut Water? It is the healthy alternative to Sport's Drinks.  'Replaces something...electrolytes, I think.

The herbal supplement Milk Thistle is supposed to support your liver.

Very Best Of Luck,

Alonangel 🎇

P.S. Do you take Diazepam for it?  How much, how often?

• Posted

Hi. I am drinking lucozade sport to help replace the electrolytes and plenty of water. smile.
  • Posted

If it is done properly, it should be easy.

Organise your days to keep busy so you are not thinking about drinking or about detoxing, you will anyway, but try to minimise it.

• Posted

Misssy's new Post is not coming through on the Notifications.

I got to it ... the long way... Discussion Forums... Alcohol etc.

• Posted

As RHGB says, it shouldn't be a problem if done properly. My only concern would be the medication being the right strength and enough. The first couple of days are best spent sleepily in bed. Being able to sort of relax. Reduce slowly and over five days symptons should subside. The hard part starts remaining sober
    • Posted

I found the second time I detoxed myself, quite pleasant, didn't need any time in bed. The trick is, as you say, having the right quantities.

My GP prescided 2, morning noon and evening and I felt like cold turkey, spent the first two days in bed dying. The second time I did the doses, it was 3, morning, noon and evening, plus 2 just before I went to bed.

Again, as you say, you need to keep off of it or stay low, and this is where the medication should take over immediately after you've detoxed. Just a crying shame that the support system isn't in place to do that.

• Posted

Totally agree. Very few people would have the strength you had. All detoxes should have daily follow up. You need to have something in place following the detox. Hopefully your GP is monitoring this and offers follow up medication.
    • Posted

I didn't find it hard at all the second time. I was looking back at my original posts a few weeks ago, when I first came here,. I was fairly naive then. I was annoyed the the recovery centre wanting me to go 2 - 3 months before they would give me anything. My GP gave me diazepam, but I had a torrid time.

Paul came on the thread and explained that I had been given too lower a dose and that if a detox is done properly, it should not trouble you at all and be painless. That's why the second time I was forewarned. Now, I always keep diazepam and Campral in the house, 'just in case', because I'm never going to rely on either my GP or a recovery centre. Of course my medicine cabinet is small in comparison to your home pharmacy, especially after your trip to Spain. smile

• Posted

Good Morning RHGB,

I am having a good laugh at your "home pharmacy" comment to Vickylou.

I reckon that I have enough medication to stun a herd of wild horses.  Lots of it necessary, lots of it "just in case".

The fact that I will do without them in order to poison myself with alcohol, defies all logic.

Pray tell... how do you gauge the amount of Diazepam for a detox?

Just in case !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

That all depends on your size and your dependence on alcohol. The bigger you are and the more dependent, the more you will require, although each person is an individual, that is somethint you can use as a given.

When I did my first detox, as in my above post, you can see the quantities used, they were 5mg diazepam tablets. I need much higher for the first two days, again as in my above post. But also I need some just before bed. If not, I wake up in the night with foot cramp and other withdrawal symptoms and by morning I struggle to get downstairs to get that morning's tablets and some water.

Tablets just before bed, ensure a stress free sleep and being okay first thing in the morning.

So I gauged it by how many I took the first time, and what a spectacular failure it was, and upped it where I knew it was not working for me. I now know that a packet of 28 5mg tablets over four days will sort me out, with most of the consumption in the first two days.

• Posted

Thanks RHGB.

I am thinking about detox after I reduce my Daily Units further.  I don't know how long it will take to reach a "safe place".  I don't see my G.P. for a few weeks, yet.  I won't try anything until then.  I feel that I have to get alcohol completely out of my system.

I did stop for 20 months, using Librium, then Campral, then willpower.  Thereafter, came a rather spectacular "fall from the wagon"!  That was 3 years ago... I still can't clamber back on.  From what I remember, I just took the Librium 3 or 4 times daily, for two weeks.

Anyway,  I like the idea of detox over a relatively short time.  We'll see.

I am sick of Selincro, but I have to keep going. My risks for Withdrawal Symptoms are different now.  High intake = High risk.  I am scared.  I make stupid comments about wishing myself dead... yet really... I wish I was properly alive.  Not a slave to alcohol.

It's a really rocky road !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Most supervised Detox take 5-7 days but obviously that depends on each individual and their drinking and medical health.
  • Posted

Morning all. Thanks for your replys. I am doing ok so far thanks. Second day in and the company I am using are being great and very helpful.

I have done this through a private company that I will certainly be recommending.

I am just relaxing reading and watching TV.

I am on the medication chlordiazepoxide (Librium)

I will certainly be seeking support after I'm all done as I obviously used alcohol as a coping mechanism when I was depressed anxious or stressed.

Thanks again all.

• Posted

Good luck, keep us updated and it is never too soon to start making enquiries about acamprosate/nalmefene/naltrexone (depending on which route you are taking), because all of them should be taken immediately after detox, so there is no period of temptation where you will drink.

Of course that won't happen, because most alcohol recovery centres haven't got a clue about the importance of not leaving a gap for alcohol to sneak back in.

• Posted

Good Morning, Shelley.  I am glad to know that things are going well.  I am thinking of doing a detox, after I have reduced my Daily Units further.  I am plodding on with the Selincro/Nalmefene for now.  I would love to get alcohol completely out of my system.  

Best of Luck,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi. I am currently looking into acamprosate. So if anyone has had dealings with it I'd appreciate any feedback. smile
    • Posted

I think I am the only person here currently taking acamprosate. I think from memory, the others are about 50% split on its success previously.

So, speaking for me only. I had a detox in Jan, home detox, on diazepam, that I did myself. At the beginning of Feb, I went on to acamprosate, which is what I asked the recovery centre for and that if they didn't give it to me, I wasn't interested in anything else. I was happy to attend counselling, but only if I was prescribed it first.

Your GP is unlikely to prescribe it, but I would go and ask first, you might get lucky. So you will end up with the local alcohol recovery centre. The alternatives are; online pharmacies with online consultations (most likely to push you back to your GP), private prescription or ordering from abroad. All of these are more expensive than on the NHS through a recovery centre, but the latter two guarantee a high success ratio in obtaining it.

I find that it works really well for me, it has no side effects, feels just like taking a vitamin pill. You seem to just lose interest in alcohol, you are not thinking about it all the time. It's hard to describe, it doesn't dull your senses, but just seems to cut out the alcohol craving.

I would give it a try. If it works, great, if it doesn't then look at another medication, but whatever you do, don't try and tough it out with no medication. That is aiming for a fall. Acamprosate is recommended to be taken for up to 12 months, so that your body has finally let go of its alcohol craving, built up over the years.

• Posted

I'm certainly interested in it. Thanks for all of the advice. I certainly won't be going alone so to speak after this.
    • Posted

Hi Alonangel,

I tried reducing but to no avail. Once I had a taste that was it I couldn't stop. The only way I stopped was detox, but then fell off the wagon so to speak as I stupidly thought I was fixed and could drink socially again 6 months later. Massive mistake!!

Are you in the U.K?!

Have you been refered to your community alcohol team?!

Shelley.

• Posted

Hi Shelley,

I am in U.K., Scotland.  I don't know about Community Alcohol Teams, here.  My G.P. is very helpful.  He has known me through all the ups and downs over 35 years.  I always tell him the "whole truth", even when it is totally shameful.  He has mentioned some support stuff... I don't want to be seen going into "Alcoholic Help" places.  So he helps me.

I am so ashamed of what I have become.  I want to get some kind of life back, before my life is over.  My health is not good.

I hope you keep Posting your progress.  It is inspiration for me.

All power to your will ! 

Alonangel !

• Posted

Damn I replied then it deleted.

Every area is very different. We have drop in clinics that are very discreet and may be ask your GP if there some support that come to your home?! Please try not to feel shame or guilt but we all do I know.

Much love

Shelley.

• Posted

Thanks, Shelley.  I will have to confront the support side of things, soon.  I run out of steam... so to speak! 

I will keep on with the tablets just now.  When I can try detox... that is when I know I won't be strong enough, on my own, to stay sober.  I know how I am.

Love and Blessings,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Me again.   I am wondering what age you are.  You may have stated it, but my brain is bamboozled.  The sooner you fix your problem, the better.   I have had my wine for today... so mellowed.  I have checked my eyeballs... not yellowed.   I will get a tomorrow... again.  I am going to run out of chances, one of these days.

I think you are a younger person.  You can turn your life around.  Go for it... real life, not blurred by alcohol.  I just drink to escape reality.  Reality is life.   

I have had previous liver damage.

Please, don't go there.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I am trying to work out the private message business.  No joy.  I am not that techno !
    • Posted

I think that I have enabled private messenging.  I am now scared about that. Sad case !  Please try to contact me, that way.  I don't know how to private message you... Dinosaur Syndrome ! ..... I am sh*t scared about exposure.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Hi, I too am to worried about exposure hence i said message me. I too am having trouble working out how to send a private message too. haha 

Maybe some one on here could advise us how to private message someone??? HELP smile  

• Posted

have just private messaged you. just worked out how to do it
    • Posted

Shelley, I have just seen that you have to "Save" the new Setting.  I have done that now.  I hope that I have done the right thing this time.  "Save" the new Private Message box tick.  Technology et moi... non, non, non ! 🤔
    • Posted

I am late joing but it seesm that you have  A PLAN>>> great!! tell us...try try not to drink and stick to your plan...Robin
    • Posted

Hi Robin. Thanks, my plan after finishing this detox is to have some counselling and look into acramposate and stay abstinent. However, I'm not going to lie I find that thought very depressing as I used to love social drinking with friends at meals etc. However I just didn't know when to stop so I doubt very much I'll ever be able to drink again. I'm still trying to process that depressing thought.

Shelley.

• Posted

Campral or acamprosate will certainly help with the  depressing thoughts  of not drinking again. Somehow the cravings disappear and you find yourself not thinking about alcohol. After a short while the thought of not drinking again, doesn't seem so bad, then you stop thinking about it!
    • Posted

Hi vickylou, thanks i am certainly going to speak to my key worker on  tuesday.
    • Posted

Hi Shelley.  I am do glad to know that things are going really well.

You just hang in there, girl.. you can do it... you are doing it.  Brilliant !

I wish you well,

Alonangel 🎇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.