Medicatio

Posted , 12 users are following.

Could anyone please give me some advise regarding medication. I’m in U.K. aged 60 work full time; 6 weeks post op. I am taking 2 Zapain (codeine and paracetemol Mic) 3 x daily 2 paracetemol once daily with 2 x 200mg iboprufen. In the last week I have had to take 5mils oral morph at night on 3 separate nights. 1 also take 1 Zoplicone sleeping tablet at night. Is everyone else on this amount of medication or do you think this is too much. I’m using ice packs when at home. Today have had a lot of burning over top of scar and burning in knee and pains in shin. Any advise would be gratefully received please. My job is office bound and not strenuous physically. My son is driving me at present. Also is anyone else really tired at this point?  I’ve been back at work since 4 was post op. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am very sorry you are at work already. It's very soon after this surgery. If you can I would recommend additional time off to heal and do physical therapy and rest, ice and do home exercises. Wishing you all the best 

• Posted

Sadly I cannot stay home,  that isn’t an option I still have 3 children and my baby Grandson at home to support and I’m divorced so they are dependant on me. 

This site has helped sooo much. I RICE when at home and sleep a lot at weekends. 

• Posted

Far too soon to return to work. Medication sounds too much. I was on co-codamol 30/500 , Zamadol SR and diclofenac, for first few weeks. Then co-codamol. I returned to work after 26 weeks. I think you returned to work way too soon , and you are taking so much medication because of your early return to work. You need exercise, a little and often, rest , elevate your leg  and ice. Not easy when you are working. Do you really have to work so soon after such a serious operation ?.
    • Posted

Sadly yes. I’m in fairly new employment so would have gone onto half pay. I’m divorced and have dependents still.  I’ll try and increase ipobrufen and cut down on Zapain. I’m not driving yet though which is helping. 
    • Posted

It's very unfair that those who are employed often have to return to work before they are fully recovered. Anyone who has had serious surgery, or medical treatment should be supported during their recovery.

• Posted

Thank you David. Work have been very accommodating with downstairs office a day phased return over the 2 weeks. 
  • Posted

Far too soon to be back to work. No wonder you take and need so much pain killers sitting down at work is going to be so wrong for you I've had both knees done and I reckon I can speak up x

• Posted

Thank you Joan. Financially I had no option to go back as due to being a fairly new employee I wouldn’t have gotbpaid. I can get up and walk around whenever I choose. I also have a siesta when I get home x
  • Posted

Far too soon to be back to work. No wonder you take and need so much pain killers sitting down at work is going to be so wrong for you I've had both knees done and I reckon I can speak up x.

• Posted

See your GP lovee. I was on hydromorphone 4mg X 4 a day and sundry other painkillers including norspan 10mg, until week 16. Couldn't work until week 16 then only for one long day. Recovery takes time. For me, after bilaterals its taken 22 months. Can you cut back and do 1-2 short days a week? I am 65 and I know work was not possible for me at 6 weeks. xx

• Posted

Damn...how did you get your hands on 4 mg Dilaudid?????  Docs here only use that in a hospital, usually IV, and NEVER send people home with it.  For me, my #1 source of relief for a kidney stone but I have to be in level bazillion pain AND in an ER!!!  Wish I had your doc...
    • Posted

Hi Chico. Came home late 2016 Easter long weekend with NO pain meds as hospital pharmacy was closed. So was every other pharmacy. My sister picked me up and in the car coming home the pain was unbearable. Short story...she called paramedics and they thought I was a junkie. Great! So I did what any self respecting arthritis drug taker of many years, in agony, would do....I took my sister's endone. Started vomiting. Great! No sleep until next day I found a pharmacy with S8 medication. My doc was in jail for murdering his Mum. I found someone else who was sick of my screams and was sympathetic and lo and behold I took that amazing drug for 8-12 weeks or longer and slowly weaned myself off it, without issue or addiction. I am sick to death of medicos and their stoopid rules. Drugs are for pain. Period. And I never want to or want anyone else to, suffer agony like that ever again. When I need a pain killer I hassle the hell outta whoever is on duty. Tenacity, old age and treachery works for me! xxx

• Posted

GREAT STORY!!!!  Yes...youth and exuberance is no match for age and treachery!!!!!  LOVE IT!!!!

I too HATE the meds.  Had a spine laminectomy L2-L4 last month.  Doc spent 3 1/2 hours in there cleaning me out.  Seemed he did my LLIF fusion last March a bit TOO well!!!  So much new bone grew from the fusion that it was now impinging on all sorts of nerves causing me lower back pain.  I really needed the drugs for the first few weeks post-op...very intense incisionary pain while all the lower back stuff was gone.

My problem is that I'm very resistant to the opioids.  Percocet 10/500 plus Flexeril 20 just take the edge off.  But Dilaudid...ahhhhhhhh...  When I get a kidney stone, I get to the ER and demand 2 mg Dilaudid IV push...STAT!!!!!  Yeah, they think I'm a drug seeker too but then they see my history and don't argue.  Needed a bit of "Big D" in the hospital after the knee but you cannot get any to take home.  So I use what they give me and meditate the pain away.  You just gotta deal with it because it brings you one day closer to not needing the meds.  It's like December 21st...the shortest day of the year.  January sucks but you know the days are getting longer all the time.  Gives you hope...    

• Posted

Stay strong buddy. No other way to get through the trials and tribulations. Mixed with much joy too. I'm grateful to be above ground. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.