Medicatio

Posted , 12 users are following.

Could anyone please give me some advise regarding medication. I’m in U.K. aged 60 work full time; 6 weeks post op. I am taking 2 Zapain (codeine and paracetemol Mic) 3 x daily 2 paracetemol once daily with 2 x 200mg iboprufen. In the last week I have had to take 5mils oral morph at night on 3 separate nights. 1 also take 1 Zoplicone sleeping tablet at night. Is everyone else on this amount of medication or do you think this is too much. I’m using ice packs when at home. Today have had a lot of burning over top of scar and burning in knee and pains in shin. Any advise would be gratefully received please. My job is office bound and not strenuous physically. My son is driving me at present. Also is anyone else really tired at this point?  I’ve been back at work since 4 was post op. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Zapain...our "equivalent" is Tylenol-3 which is acetaminophen and codeine.  This is a step down from the stronger opioids hydro- and oxy-codone which are considerably more powerful.  However, you CANNOT be driving or working on those meds.  Taking extra ibuprofen for inflammation may help a tiny bit at this stage.

The problem is you are back to work waaaaaay too soon.  Very few people pull that off, even just office work for 8 hours, at 3 months...but 4-6 weeks?  Sorry...that's virtually unheard of.  The knee has not had a chance to heal.  You should be home, in bed and sleeping.  At 4 weeks, I was still drooling on my pajamas...

You're in a world of pain and it will be that way as long as you try pushing a recovery you cannot push.  You're exhausted because your body is trying to heal your knee with the energy available to it and you're using up that energy by working and trying to lead a "normal" life.  It doesn't work like that.  I've been on this site for two years and I've heard of only one person who skated through this with great ROM, virtually no pain and back to work in 6-8 weeks.  A true miracle.  You ain't that guy.

If you continue down this path, you can count on continued pain and sleepless nights for a long time to come.  IMO, you need rest and healing time.  

• Posted

Thank you for your replies everyone. Sadly I had no choice but to go back to work financially.  If I had had a choice I would have left it longer: I do have a siesta most days when I get home and really rest at weekends. I am see my Physio weekly and doing my exercices most days. I did a phased return from 4 weeks post op. First week 3 days - 3 hours day. 2nd weeks 5?days 5 hours a day last week full time. I have a raised toilet seat there and a foot rest but at present do need the pain killers. I swap Zapain for paracetemol extra forvwork and try not to take Ora morph. I am tired and a bit grumpy I’m sorry to say was just a little worried aboutbthevamountbof meds 
  • Posted

I cannot believe you are 6 weeks P.O. and doing all you are. I am 8MONTHS P.O. and still taking codene once in awhile. At six months I would never think of going back to work much less six weeks. If the media helping I’d stay with itIt sounds like miracle drugs. Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you Arlene I was back at work at 4 weeks post op but oh phased return to full time at 6 weeks. I’m not driving though. I think because I was so debilitated pre op and used tontakibg Zapain they do not effects me Tom much I am very very tired though 
  • Posted

Hi

Buy the Aircast knee wrap and ice bucket so you can wear the knee wrap and ice all day. Some are lucky enough to return to work at 6 weeks or less. However most do not return as your knee is just not healed enough.

Good healing

• Posted

Thank you I havevthecwrap and Home and use it regularly itbis very good. 
  • Posted

Well, we are all so different with our TKRs. I only had paracetamol and few tramadol due to being reactive to strong pain meds and also GP are unwilling to prescribe them at our practice - thought we should not need strong meds after a week or two - don't have a clue, do they? But amazing you can cope with even office work at such an early stage, I was redundant so did not go back to work, then had other illness and setbacks so still not back and reach pension age soon - do miss the income but it just did not happen. Anyway, I know little about meds or going back to work after TKR so I am likely not going to offer you any wisdom. 

?You have lots of responses so I hope you can decide what to take on board from them all. Try to take it steady as your body has been through a massive trauma and needs to heal. Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.