Medication 9 weeks after Tkr

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 9 weeks post Tkr & am on 2 Tramadol 2 Naproxen & paracetamol twice a day & 2 Tramadol & paracetamol twice s day, is that @ normal ?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Eileen, I don't know.  But if you look at some of the posts that have been on here, a lot of people seem to be on strong painkillers for quite a while.  I've not had anything at all for a long time now ('m three weeks).  The hospital only gave me codeine for a very short time and Ibuprofen for five days, I think it was, and said to take paracetamol when I needed it.  I take two at night sometimes, purely because it makes me sleep.  It doesn't actually do anything regarding pain.  But I hope someone ele will come on and be more help than I could be.

• Posted

Hi

I could not take codine as it made me sick, I , this is what the hospital gave me, I stopped in the first 3 weeks taking pills.

Just ice and hot baths for relief, as well as crying.

Good healing

• Posted

Clive, how do you manage to get in and out of the bath?   Do you have a lift?  I've not managed to get in the bath for donkey's years.  Our silly shaped bath won't fit a lift.

• Posted

Hi was not easy especially 4 days after my operation. My bathroom is small with the toilet next to the bath. Getting was ok sit on the edge of the bath lower yourself in backwards.

Getting out more of a problem I have handles in the middle of my bath, my right knee was replaced, using my left leg onto the edge of the bath then the toilet and my arms / hands onto the handles I got out.

As I said painful in the beginning.

I would say a hot bath was the best pain relief I had. I had a waterproof plaster, but did not submerge my knee fully until after the staples were out. By turn my knee I would take the hot water right to close to the cut on my knee.

Good healing

• Posted

that sounds pretty horrific!  I thank heaven I have a walk in shower . . although I have to admit a soak in the bath would have been lovely . . I fear I would still be there now though, as I don't think I would ever have managed to get out again!

• Posted

. I stopped taking tramadol at about seven weeks, although the last one at night was difficult to give up for a couple of weeks after thatIA   lot will depend on the level of pain you are experiencing. . but remember that tramadol should not be given up 'cold turkey' Keep enought tablets so that you can gradually reduce the amount you take, or you will suffer nasty side effects.  I ran out, and it was four days before I could get a replacement. . horrific dreams, breathlessness, stomach cramps, trembling. . .no fun at all!

• Posted

Eileen, I'm 8 weeks bilateral TKR and I'm on 2 Tramadol at night; helps me sleep. I take 1 at around 6:00 pm and another around 1:00 am. I'm trying to get by during the day with 600 mg ibuprofen. So far, so good. You do what works for you!!

• Posted

Hi Eileen like you I am 9 1/2 weeks post TKR I have tried to cut down on the tramadol. I take 2 in the day if I need it after I do physio to help settle the pain down. I take 2 before bed to help me sleep. Throughout the day I use ice to ease the pain and a natural wheat bag which I microwave for the heat. I put the heat underneath and ice bag on top. I am still in pain after walking and excercise and getting very frustrated. I think you need to do what is best for you, I have discovered from this discussion group that everyone is individual in recovery from this operation. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Jean , I may take a Tramadol @ night, to help me sleep.
  • Posted

Hi Eileen, I'm 7 weeks 2 days post TKR.

i went for my post op check with my consultant today and apart from him wanting my ROM better, it's about 105/110. He says all the niggly pains, stiffness, heat on my knee and tight band feelings are quite normal.

I came off Tramadol 3 days ago because it was making me feel very teary and down ... no cold turkey luckily. Just taking paracetamol twice a day but if I need it 3 times. I still also sometimes take Ibuprofen if my swelling is bad after being on my feet for too long.

Everyone heals at different rates so don't worry too much.

• Posted

Yes, if you still have pain, especially when you are exercising. It has been 5 months since my TKR and I still feel lots of pain. I can only bend the knee to 115. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Eileen

Everyone is different & they usually try to tailor the pain meds to the individual, the consultant pharmacists usually have the last say there. I was even discharged from hospital by the consultant pharmacist. Not as I would have assumed the surgeon!!

I was given a morphine infuser to use as and when(urghhhh!!), plus paracetamol three times a day & gabapentin 2 times a day whilst in hospital.

On discharge I was given nothing, but as I was on cocodamol & naproxen at home anyway because of the arthritis, they said to go back on that.

I just hope I can get the other knee done this year.

I try not to let it, but it does hamper the recovery of the other one somewhat! I can't walk far as it gives out on me! Still the exercises are still done & trying to strengthen the left (unoperated) knee in hopes in hopes of TKR end of year.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks all for replying. I don't gel so much on my own now, I will take each day & night as it comes, it's a much longer recovery than I expected. Good luck everyone x

• Posted

Eileen, I am 14 weeks post TKR revision. I had general anesthesia the first time and a spinal epidural for the revision. I had such pain and stiffness the first time. It was a slow recovery and never got my knee where it needed to be. Hense the revision. I can tell you I needed the pain meds the first time but I only took Tylenol 3 and later naproxen. It sounds like you are taking a lot. If the doctor told you to take them then it may be right. It also depends on your own judgement and how you feel. BTW, the epidural was the way to go. I am already almost 100%.
    • Posted

Anna , I am so pleased you are now making a good recovery. At 9 weeks my knee is still very stiff & sore but I have come off the hard meds & now using ibuprofen & paracetamol as I can't cope with the side effects of the others. I can't imagine now ,sleeping through the night, I just want to get back to normal. I exercise, walk use the stairs& go to physio, I guess it's just time, well I hope so. What do you think ?

• Posted

Eileen I'm 9 weeks post bilateral TKR and my knees are still stiff and sore after exercise and when I wake up in the morning. I take ibuprofen during the day but Tramadol at night which helps me sleep but sleep is still not normal. Darn it!!! I so wish this would end!! Will my knees ever be okay?? I do the exercises, go to PT, walk and I end up with stiffness!! Is all this working?? Thanks for listening.

• Posted

Eizie you were SO brave to have both knees done. I'm really struggling with one. We are both 9 weeks & it sounds we are at the same level as you discribe that's exactly how I am ,except you have 2. I truly can't imagine. I hope too that we can get back to normal asap. Keep in touch as I thought it was just me feeling so stiff at 9 weeks. According to the NHS sheet 12 weeks is a landmark. so there's light at the end of the tunnel , please God .

• Posted

Eileen thank you so much for your kind words. I will keep in touch. I will try to be positive and hope for the best. I am just having a bad couple of days. Thank you again for listening.
    • Posted

It is a tough recovery Eizie even with one knee , never mind 2. I've been awake all night again. I'm wondering if even after 9 weeks we should have a few more of the stronger meds again. I took an extra Tramadol last night. Id been to my daughter's yesterday as it was Mothers Day. Wish I'd stayed home now & rested. Although it's 9 weeks I still think it's early days.i hope you have plenty of support as though we have to exercise we must also rest.ive heard that feeling down or depressed can be a side effect of some medication. Wonder if you could check with doctor, also lack of sleep makes us feel rough. It won't be forever, we WILL get over this. Keep your chin up .

• Posted

The stiffness stays for awhile but everyone is different. I don't blame you that you need meds to sleep. You need to sleep so you can heal. Keep up the physio. You're doing good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.