Medication Side Effect

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I am currently taking Keflex for a UTI.  I also started taking Osphena this past Monday for vaginal atrophy and Toviaz for incontinence.  This morning I woke up with red patches on my face!!  I am wondering if anyone had this reaction taking any of these drugs.  Thank you.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My suggestion would be to eliminate one of your new medications temporarily.  You started 3 new meds close together so it will be difficult for you to know which one you are reacting to. 
  • Posted

Have you looked up side effects of  Osphena???  I have taken keflex no side effects but everyone different. Where are you located?
    • Posted

Hi Nancy,

I live in Lakewood, NJ, USA.  I had bouts with eczema on and off during the last 2+ years.  I have taken tons of antibiotics during this period.  I am hoping it is the Keflex causing this.  I really want to try to continue with the Osphena since my Dr. recommended it to help with the atrophy.  If it continues after the Keflex course is finished, I will contact my Dr. to see if she can prescribe a different hormone treatment.  I did take bioidentical hormones for 18 months but still had burning issues.  My new Dr. believes the Osphena will help since it only helps the vaginal/vulva skin and does not affect breast tissue.  I had stage 4 melanoma on my leg 10 years ago.  It was easier to deal with.  I had surgery and follow up visits.  These infections are so painful.  I had to retire do to the UTI’s a year earlier than I planned.

Thanks for your advice.  I appreciate it.

• Posted

Maryann.  I did the Mona Lisa treatment as I don’t do hormones.  I am surprised your doctor has recommended them after you have had a stage 4 cancer.  In any event many if the women here have  experience success with the Mona Lisa treatment… Insurance doesn’t cover it and a lot of doctors don’t really know about it it doesn’t last forever  and I have to go back at least once a year but the pain is gone and I can live my life     Good luck to you it’s a difficult road
    • Posted

Hi Nancy,

I forgot to add that I had 2 Mona Lisa treatments this year (Jan. And April).  Unfortunately soon after I started with the burning and discharge.  I was hoping the treatments would help but they only seem to make matters worse.  I am glad you received relief.  It is a long road to recovery.  Continued good health.

• Posted

Maryann,

With all the antibiotics you have taken, do you develop a yeast or BV infection?  My dr.'s office called today and said I "may" have a UTI.  I don't want to take an antibiotic, for every time I do I get a yeast infection and have to use a yeast cream.  I used 5 tubes of cream after my bout with pneumonia last November and I believe and one of my doctors believe it is what cause vulvodynia. 

• Posted

Hi Lorrie,

Very sorry you are dealing with this horrible syndrome.  Yes, I have had a few yeast infections and recently had BV.  I truly believe all the years of antibiotics have destroyed my system.  I started a hormone named Osphena last Monday.  I woke up last night with heart palpitations.  I will not take it.  I will call my Dr. on Monday to let her know.  

What do you do for the vaginal and vulva burning?  I am so disillusioned with this awful problem.  Thanks.

• Posted

Maryann,

I have tried so many OTC and rx ointments and creams and nothing has worked.  A few days ago, I stopped everything and felt better for two days.  Today, I had some irritation when going for a drive.  I just started a tiny bit of the estradiol compound and I don't feel anymore irritated than I did this morning, but we shall see, for I used so little.

That scares me about the heart palpitations.  Did you ever have them before?  I have afib, pvc's and a lot of other abnormal heart rhythms.  I will have to check the side effects of estradiol.

What do you use for the yeast infections from the antibiotics?  I used 2 different yeast creams (2 of each) and an antibiotic cream for the BV infection after my bout with pneumonia.  One of my doctors believes this is how the whole thing started, for I had none of this before.  Do you use a yeast cream or diflucan?  I can't take diflucan due to my heart, but I am going to call my cardio on Monday and see if I can take it.  Hope your face has cleared up!

• Posted

Hi Lorrie,

Thanks.  The eczema stopped after using a steroid cream.  I wish it was for the vulva/vaginal area.!!

I have a feeling that the heart palpitations are either from the hormone, Osphena or the incontinence med, Toviaz.  I do not think it was from the antibiotic Keflex since I have taken it a few times in the last 2 years.  I will resume the antibiotic tomorrow.  If I get no reaction, it is either one of the two new drugs.  I plan on calling my Dr. on Monday to get her opinion (if I can reach her!).

I took Diflucan but still had symptoms.  I then took a prescription cream named Terconazole.  I did help.

Best of luck at your doctor’s appointment on Monday.

• Posted

Maryann,

The yeast cream that begins with "M" burned me terribly.  I used two of those, then two of the ones you used.  I've been miserable since!  I do have to say the "T" cream did not burn as bad as the other.

• Posted

Hi Maryann,

I don’t know if this was discussed elsewhere but have you tried taking D-mannose?  I am diligently trying to take it twice a day for a few months to see if I can ward off the bacterial infections.  It was recommended to me by my naturopath and I have heard that many women have had success with it. 

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Yes, I have researched D-Mannose.  I started taking it last week.  I hope it helps.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.