Medications and Therapies....

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All.... :fairy:

I have had many different pain killers and therapies over the years and was wondering what works for others...???????

Medications that work best for me at the moment to reduce headaches and muscle spasms are Mersyndol Forte and for the spasms, Valium. I'm not happy about the amount of meds i use on a daily basis and tend to put up with pain for as long as i can before i take something..... But compared to a few months ago, i'm taking less meds!!! For a while after my re injury at work, i was in tears daily from the pain....I am usually a toughy with pain, but i was pushed beyond my boundaries... :steam: My Doc had me on Norspan (Morphine) patches that are slow release...first i was on 5 micrograms then upped to 10..... It definitely helped with the neck pain, but not so much with the headaches...It eventually (after about 6 weeks) caused me to have a severe migraine for 2 weeks before we figured out it was the patch causing the migraine...hard to tell when i do get migraines often!!!!! :yuk:

I have also had a lot of relief from having regular Myotherapy (Deep tissue massage) I have been seeing my Myotherapist on and off for about 4 years now and she knows what works for me and what doesn't....she always gives me a head massage in my session which is a great release of pain up the back of my head!!!!!! Unfortunately because my injury is Workcover, they decided to STOP my Myotherapy...I have 2 more sessions to go..... :wah: I can't afford to pay for it myself due to being on such a reduced wage now, BUT...I am fighting their decision to stop it as it helps!!!

I also use a wheat bag/ heat pack on my neck when it is too sore or spasming.

Can anyone else tell me their best therapies or Meds that help????

Thanks for reading......Jas..xx.. :wings:

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jas :D

I only take otc meds now, I never could get on with any of the drugs my GP prescribed.

Syndol works quite well for me, like your Mersyndol, it's Paracetemol, Codeine, Doxylamine and caffeine, I find I tolerate it quite well, whereas I couldn't get on with Voltarol (diclofenac).

Hyaluronic Acid tablets which I have read help to 'cushion' your joints, not a painkiller as such, but I think maybe they're helping a bit long term, and I don't find any side affects with them.

Sometimes I like a paracetemol with aspirin tablet, but as you know, it depends on the headache or spasm, different things work for different types of pain. This CS has many faces doesn't it?

I find standing under a quite hot shower first thing in the morning very helpful for relaxing the muscles.

And some days nothing will work ......... :wah:

And some days a drop of this can help ........... :bubbly:

(But instead of, and not at the same time as, the painkillers of course :wink: )

It'll be a very rich man who comes up with the perfect pill won't it? :lol:

Take care of yourself

Lou xx :D

• Posted

PS: Meant to say also, good luck with your fight to keep the Myotherapy, it would be a shame to lose that when it's helping you. I will cross everything for you, fingers, toes, eyes :D
  • Posted

Thanks Lou for sharing your information with me..... :angel:

Our Mersyndol has the same ingredients except caffeine..... I drink enough coffee to fix that though..... :tea: :ta:

Diclofenac... I had to look that one up ....we have the brand name Voltaren here in Aust. Anti inflammatory drugs don't help me at all...they just give me tummy aches!!!!!

Hyaluronic Acid.... Never heard of that either...but it seems it is a type of Gel..????

Unfortunately ...or fortunately...depends how you look at it, I don't really drink alcohol.... a glass of white wine would be a twice a year thing for me these days....especially with the amount of meds i take, I'm too scared to mix alcohol in with that cocktail!!!!!!! :bubbly: >>>>>>>>>> :monster:

I had Myotherapy today...... :magic:

When i was leaving the Dr.s surgery, one of the nurses who i know quite well came to tell me they had recieved a letter from my Workcover insurer for my GP to fill out the reasons why i want/need Myotherapy, so that is a GOOD sign that they may be reconsidering stopping it.....YAY!!!!!!!!! I will keep fighting for it anyway!!!!!! :ok:

Thanks again for listening...*HUGS*

Jas..xx.. :fairy:

• Posted

The hyaluronic acid comes in tablet form, but I think there has been some success with injections too, for knees specifically.

Hey that sounds promising, re the insurer for your Myotherapy. Here's hoping :goodluck: , let us know :ok: .

Lou xx :diva:

• Posted

Thank you, Lou.... :diva: (you know that i now picture you as a redhead..... :mrgreen: ) I'm a blonde and this is the only emoticon that slightly resembles me.... :wings: or as Gerry says on a bad hair day..... :spider:

I will let you know about my Myotherapy....I think I will be heard across the ocean shouting ... *YAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOO* :wow:

Jas..xx.. :fairy:

• Posted

Today i went to see my Doc....We had to fill out a form from the Workcover Insurance Co. It was all about 'Massage' and how it helps me....HA!!! They think of Myotherapy as massage!!!! What a load of CR*P!!!!! :flan: It hurts a LOT!!! But i can cope with that as it is beneficial for me!!!!

The Insurers have also made an appointment to see my Doc...with me....Not that i was consulted about a suitable time or day for me.... :steam: BUT at least they are doing something......I know....I'm angry one minute, relieve the next...what can I say.....Pain makes me a bit crazy sometimes...... :weird:

Over and out....Jas....... 8)

• Posted

Hi Jas

So much red tape to wade through :roll: , I'm not surprised you're feeling a little frustrated. I hope it doesn't take too long smile .

Confession, I'm not a redhead ........... I am blonde too. Well, my grey bits are anyway, thanks to my hairdresser. But I can be a bit of a diva :diva: :wink:

Lou xx

• Posted

Hiya Lou....Aren't we blondes meant to be Diva's anyway...... :diva: LOL

I wanted to ask if anyone has taken or takes Tramadol (Tramal) for their pain..????

My Doc prescribed it for me a week or so ago...just for when i have very bad pain...well, today I have!!!!!! :bruised: I took a 50mg tablet earlier this evening....and well, its done absolutely NOTHING for my pain...... :yikes: I have just done a bit of reading around on the net and found that 50mg is quite a low dose, but i'm not game to take anymore than 1 tablet which is what my Doc prescribed.......Hmmmmm....what to do..... :huh: It also can interfere with anti depressants and I am on them.....but not everyone gets a reaction to it, so I figured it was worth trying if it helped the pain a bit.....

It's frustrating when a drug doesn't work....I'm not even asking for a lot....Just to reduce the pain to a level I can cope with!!!!!!!!!

I guess I should be grateful that yesterday was a bearable pain day.... :doh:

*HUGS* for everyone who needs them.....Jas..xx.. :love:

• Posted

[quote:428e0d261f=\"jassyjewels\"]Hiya Lou....Aren't we blondes meant to be Diva's anyway...... :diva: LOL

I wanted to ask if anyone has taken or takes Tramadol (Tramal) for their pain..????

My Doc prescribed it for me a week or so ago...just for when i have very bad pain...well, today I have!!!!!! :bruised: I took a 50mg tablet earlier this evening....and well, its done absolutely NOTHING for my pain...... :yikes: I have just done a bit of reading around on the net and found that 50mg is quite a low dose, but i'm not game to take anymore than 1 tablet which is what my Doc prescribed.......Hmmmmm....what to do..... :huh: It also can interfere with anti depressants and I am on them.....but not everyone gets a reaction to it, so I figured it was worth trying if it helped the pain a bit.....

It's frustrating when a drug doesn't work....I'm not even asking for a lot....Just to reduce the pain to a level I can cope with!!!!!!!!!

*HUGS* for everyone who needs them.....Jas..xx.. :love:[/quote:428e0d261f]

Can the boring mousy one butt in :lol: 8)

Yeah, I took tramadol, but can't remember what doage I took, they kind of zonked me and helped a lickle if my memory serves me well (ha!)

I take Amitriptyline for pain Jas they do help me, might be worth having a word with your doc. Do you have a pain clinic over there in Oz?

If any anti-infammatory drugs are ever taken you should take another tablet to protect your tummy, such as Ranitidine.

Also ( I'' llshut up in a mo) :lol: :lol: According the the ION the single biggest cause of headaches is medication overuse headache.

Hope this helps Jas

Emxx :boing:

• Posted

[quote:14469a0efc=\"Aunty Em\"][quote:14469a0efc=\"jassyjewels\"]Hiya Lou....Aren't we blondes meant to be Diva's anyway...... :diva: LOL

*HUGS* for everyone who needs them.....Jas..xx.. :love:[/quote:14469a0efc]

Can the boring mousy one butt in :lol: 8)

Yeah, I took tramadol, but can't remember what doage I took, they kind of zonked me and helped a lickle if my memory serves me well (ha!)

I take Amitriptyline for pain Jas they do help me, might be worth having a word with your doc. Do you have a pain clinic over there in Oz?

If any anti-infammatory drugs are ever taken you should take another tablet to protect your tummy, such as Ranitidine.

Also ( I'' llshut up in a mo) :lol: :lol: According the the ION the single biggest cause of headaches is medication overuse headache.

Hope this helps Jas

Emxx :boing:[/quote:14469a0efc]

Firstly...You are in NO WAY boring...I find you very funny...... :hug: AND...I appreciate any feedback or info from anyone..... :D

Earlier this year i was on Amitriptyline (Endep i think we call them here) I tried a low dose, Doc increased me twice over a period of about 6 weeks....All they did was aid sleep for me...which is not something i want help with..... :cry:

I have tried the Anti inflams many times over the years with a tummy protector too.... No help to me and I would rather not take them if they are not helping.

Em.....I have experiences rebound headaches from too much meds before....I got it severely when i was on a Morphine slow release patch..... :yuk: ( I was never really happy about being on the patches!!!) I might make jokes about meds and being drugged, but I am actually scared of taking too many meds due to the rebound thingy!!!! I usually don't take meds for my pain more than once or twice in a 24 hr period....I try to tough it out for most of the day if i can...I use heat packs, hot showers and rest if i can. With the headaches, I aim for a bearable level..... I have learnt from experience that over medicating myself just makes it worse!!! I do know that it takes a pretty strong drug to get any relief...I have been like that since my teens...I remember that i would take 2 Mersyndol for monthly cramps...other friends were knocked out for hours with that...I would just get a little relief.... :? Maybe it's because i am not a skinny person (to say the least... :wink: ) I don't know why it is like that.

I have been nagging my Workcover about seeing a Pain management clinic.....I have a case conference booked with my Doc, Workcover case manager, my work rep and myself for June 24th......I have a HUGE list of requests to discuss on that day!!!!!!

Anyway...off to make myself some breakfast......Jas..xx..

• Posted

hi jaas and em, i saw your question about tramadol, i had the same response as em, it knocked me out until i got used to it, but as with all my meds i got too used to it and they had to increase my meds yet again. i have been on so many meds sad i feel i know the pharmacy better than most pharmacists lol. at this precise moment i am on oxcontin 40mg a day, it was 80mg , but i have cut them down i was fed up of being a zombie. :lol: :lol: i am finally happy < as i can be, the pain comes and goes and when it comes boy does it come it can floor me for weeks. it has been a blast reading your posts, your a welcome addition to our little family. chris x
  • Posted

Thank you for the welcome, Chris.... :ok:

I have never taken Oxycontin...My Doc wont let me..... :roll: He says he just doesn't want me to go down that road....I do understand what he is saying.....but sometimes when the pain is bad, I wish i had some!!!!! :sadface:

I'm glad that you are happy..... :boing: I have been trying the last couple of weeks to listen to my body and try not to do things that i know will cause me more pain...Its not easy when i have teenage kids that leave everything on the floor!!!!! :crisps: :tea: :bus: :racket: I try to resist picking everything up....Its hard, but im getting better at it!!!!!! I just have to yell a bit more.... :yawn: :weird:

Take care....Jas..xx.. :wings:

• Posted

Hi Everyone....I just wanted to let you know that for the next few days, I wont be able to post.....I will be back...BUT with a new username....I will explain at a later date the reasons why...... 8)

Jas..xx.. :wings:

• Posted

Oh...Now look at that!!!????? :huh:

I have transformed in a 'Flutterbye'.... :fairy: :wings:

Obviously, My new username..... :D

Jas..xx..

• Posted

Hi all,

just found this about cs,

ive had it for nearly 3 years and didnt think many people had it.

I dont know if i have a bad case of cs or a mild one, i would be greatfull if you gave me your thoughts on this.

I wake up in the night with blinding head and face ache, the pain gest so bad it makes me sick, and shake

i have at least one head, face ache per day.

ive taked lots of tablets and they dont seen to do alot.

thanks gaz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.