medicine for GB removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, 

I wrote before and got a lot of good advice. My problem is I had my GB out about three weeks ago and can not eat with out having a really bad stomache ache. My Doctor told me to eat every thing fat free. I have always ate what ever i wanted. I do not feel hungry at all. Well I talked to my doctors PA who told the doctor all the problems I have been going through.they gave me a percription for IC CHOLESTYRAMINE I tried it last night and could not drink it no matter what I did. So I thought well let me try a again in the am i tried and can not get this taste out of my mouth. It is like sand. Has anyone ever taken it. they say you can put it in applesauce i will buy that at the store today. also they gave me two huge boxes of it to last a month what a waste. The taste is still in my mouth. any suggestions. If I could get on a fat free diet I would not be going through this. Please can someone help me. And I am scared to tell the PA to keep trying it. I do not want to. I always taught my Children growing up, never let you do any thing you do not want to. Well I do not want to take this I am sick thinking of it. Thank You. 

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear your going through that. I don't have issues with eating really. I like to hear from someone who has the pain on their side/back. I

Wondering if I have internal inflammation?

• Posted

Thank You Patricia, They say everyone does not have trouble with eating. Did your Doctor tell you to have a fat free diet? As for side and back pain I have the same and I have heard alot of people mention that. MIne comes and goes though. Maybe you should call your Doctors office and ask them what you may do. 
    • Posted

You would not even believe what I've done to try and figure this out. Thank God I have a $2,000. Deductible than 100% is paid. Getting an MRI and a CT scan on Tuesday.

• Posted

OH that sounds awful. Your description made  my face squish up 😩 Just reading it. UGH ! Sand must be really difficult to swallow.

See side bar for galbladder diet sheet. The fat free diet is not forever it's just until ur body adjusts. A lot less pain or any issues. The GB Has enzymes that help break up the fatty food and without the GB it takes times for the body to compensate and adjust to produce more enzymes.

Really eating fat free for awhile is a way of slowly training your stomach and liver and other organs to take over and produce the enzymes in the future.

My dr prescribed enzymes in pill form designed to help with transition for the adjustment to replacing natural enzymes . Eating probiotic foods go guru fat fre pill form too, drink keifer and sticking to eating fat free your gut will thank you!😳

I don't know if this could be another alternative for you to drinking sand. 👍

What hwlped me everyone is different. 

• Posted

Hi I have been sick all day and scared to eat after the little i ate this morning toast with jelly gave me a stomache ache all day I did everything. My Doctor PA told me there was no other thing she could give me. can you buy the enzymes in a pill? can you taste them after you swallow them? Do you get pains in your side and back? I just tried to make a little salad as i was sleeping trying not to think of this. I have fat free dressing on it but it is hard to eat i only had a couple of bites. I hope you are feeling good. 
    • Posted

Terry

That did happen to me and the pain in the side and under ribs. I was associating it with fatty foods for sure. I lost 30 pounds. I saw a doctor at the UOC. I had the SOD surgery and felt a little better but the specific rib and back pain was still there. I should say is still there. I went to Mayo and was diagnosed with thoracic spine pain. Needless to say I'm still having tests and can't get this figured out. Some days are good then I have really bad days. The back of my knee even hurts. Maybe nerve pain. I'm seeing the surgeon who took out my G/B in Jan. This has really taken away the quality of my life.

• Posted

That is the point. When are doctors ever going to take responsibility and or be held accountable by even their peers for what they have caused to patients.

X-ray your knee will tell the story what going on there. 

I am so insulted that some docs get on their hi horse and think patients are under them socially intellectually and morally. They are paid in some cases by Pharma and insurance companies not to admit to any error in judgements or treatments. 

I hope you can get this sorted out. 

My story is that a surgeon lied to me when he took out a hernia that did not exist. well the insurance company caught it and to this day the doc has not notified me of the damage and pain cause by hernia surgery or that there was no hernia. 

All this time it was my hip pain and finally another doc took X-ray of my hip and had OA in my hip needed hip replacement

The hip doc never wanted anything to do with helping me regarding the hernia surgery and go for damages. So lesson learned . 

Now it's a good idea to be our own advocate and do our own research. 

• Posted

I hate to sound stupid but what is uoc   and also the sod surgery

i joined mayo and got some books but i am in pain my knees are killing me anyway as i had a knee replascement last april and then a scope one on the other dec 1st i can hardly walk  i also tripped over my step stool and went down hard. that did not help i am all black and blue. how long ago was your GB surgery and I wonder how come my doctor pa told me it is up to my primary care doctor to help me now like they want to get rid of me. My doctor yelled and sreamed at me to go back to my room. i sat next to the nurse station and did not move. i am hard of hearing if i take my hearing aids out i do not hear anything well i was in the hospital for 4 days with them trying to figure out what was wrong with me and i guess the nurses told me to go back to my room i was up and walking around i wanted to go home. so when i did not hear them and did not move he started yelling and screaming at me theresa go back to your room. I went back he looked at my stomache to see how they were healing and said you can go home now. he left the room and i got dressed and started out the door and the nurses said theresa do you still have the iv in your hand. i was so excited that i was getting away from feeling so low with him yelling at me that i threw on my jacket and did not realize so i went back to the room the nurse took it out and had me sign papers to leave.I cryed so bad when I got outside and took a cab home, he really embarrased me.  He was so nice when i first met him. then i told my daughter in law she said i should call the hospital and

tell them what i went through. i said no i want to be strong look him in the eye on my two week post op and tell him exactly how he made me feel. I went in and i think it was a student with him. I told him how horrible he made me feel yelling and screaming at me in front of

the nurses. I told him I had a very violent abusive husband who told me what to do all the time and i will not let you do the same. He said that I was being mean to the nurses I said I was not I really did not hear them because of my hearing aids. he said you should get them fixed. he spent hardly any time with me told me if i needed anything i could call ann his pa and now she is sending me away i think he justs wants me gone sorry for the long message i started to cry thinking of how he made me feel.

• Posted

Hi, I know alot of doctors think that they are better than us.  and that is why i was my own advacate he did say he was sorry but now telling me he can do nothing more for me what about the pills or an appointment to see him.I know he wants me gone. i am goig to lie down i can not stand this pain. i hope we both feel better soon and also everyone else that is going through these things. 

• Posted

Your SO RIGHT!!! They totally want us gone! I've been passed around so many times . Full circle when I see surgeon. I have tramadol , gabapentin, ibuprophen , pain patches and topical pain cream. It helps but it never goes away. I feel you pain. Maybe someone will figure it out. Sleep well

• Posted

Terry that is so sad and so horrible for anyone to speak to you that way especially when your in a hospital. I'm 56 years old and can't imagine living like this for even 20 more years. The thing that keeps me going are my 5 and 3 year old grandkids. I cry a lot too. I have a good husband thank God but no one truly knows how much we are suffering. we look fine . I work 21 hours a week with kids under 6. I like my job but when I get the pain it's not fun. Very stressful. That Doctor should be ashamed of himself! so sorry you had to go through that.

• Posted

What a dismissive attitude! That  doc would get a zero rating on Yelp, has no respect for othes with hearing problems. Things like that always happened to my mom at work and many public places. Rude obnoxious and self centered people.

I read a book recently called, "How to Survise your Doctor". One of the best things I do now after reading the book is ask the doc if I can tape the appt with my IPhone. My reasoning is to have the events in the appt clear in my mind and save time in the long run. It also changes attitudes. You would be suprised at the difference in how PA, AND DR are when the I phone is out on the table clearly taping every word! 👍

• Posted

Your so right. I feel like my knee has something to do with what ever this pain is. When I was in the ER for just the second time in my life I'm 56, the ER Doctor told me the ER is for emergencies. When blood work came back my liver enzymes were in the 800's. Should be I think like 30's. After a test etc.... ( I was in the ER fir 12 hours ) tge next thing you know they came and told me I had epiglatits (wrong spelling) which is a life threating. Said I was going to be admitted to the intensive care unit and they had to put a second IV in my arm. When I was finally wheeled up I was put in a regular room because I DIDNT have epiglatitus . They just carried on and never said anything about the mistake. Your surgery mistake was way worse ! sorry you had to go through that. Are you still in pain because of the unnessary hernia surgery?

• Posted

Sorry Terry , I pray that you will get the help that you need soon! 

{{{Gentle Hugs}}}

• Posted

No pain in tummy PT and time to heel helped. Generally I just let go and moved on! Freedom form stress is a healthy thing!
    • Posted

HI Patricia,

I am going to try to get that book from the library. I like that to be able to tape them as we really do not know what they write in our file that we may not see 

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I was in so much pain last night that i went in epsom salt put lidocaine on my leg. You should see me I can not even walk. but I have so much more going on that i need to take care of so i need to stop thinking of the other things. i know what you mean about grand children my 8 year old grandson is my heart. i love him so much and Christmas is almost here and i have to try to keep peace to get through it I just want to see him. my other son is taking me there the 24th so i can bring his presents i also have 4 other grand children from before my Son married her and i love them like my own. i have to run out and do some things. ttyl 

• Posted

Hi Patricia, I am trying to get caught up on all my emails so if i missed anything you wrote me i will check back later i have to go do some things i need to take care of. it is so awful to be passed around from one doctor to the other then the other doctor is booked so you have to wait to see them and then they send you some where else. I do not know. i just want all this pain to go away and get back to work 
    • Posted

Hi Hope, that is so nice of you. that is fine. i buy books on amazon all the time. and every book i buy i have to pay 3.99 to have it sent to me even if the book is cheaper than that. I have not ate at all today. i usually make toast i had no bread so i had to run some errands and then go to the grocery store and get a few things. i am going to make a little salad with cucumbers and grilled chiciken that purdue makes. I hope i do not get sick from that. i hate my leg but i see m doctor tomorrow so that will be good. I will talk to you later. i need to catch up on a few emails then go to bed and read. i have to be up early. I hope you have a nice night. 
    • Posted

i am turning in for the night i have an early appt for my 2 week post opt on my knee surgery. i hope he can tell me why i am in so much pain with my leg i can hardly walk. i hope everything is good with you.  night
    • Posted

I feel the same way. Same thing is happening to me. Do you have anyone that can help you when you go to the doctors office?
    • Posted

Hi Hope,

It was so cold out side but I went to my doc appt and i have to go back in two weeks. they xrayed it and it is not broken, I am still in pain but my doctor seen my ankle how big the black and blue was from my fall so he said i most liked bruised the inside of my leg from the fall and that I need to rest. so i came home starving made a salad with cucumber and a can of tuna and ate the whole thing. i do not want to jinx myself but I have been alright since i ate which was about an hour ago. i am going to ice my leg and read my book  have a good night

• Posted

Hi Patricia, 

I went out to dinner with my friend and now I am in the bathroom constantly. I had plain baked fish and mashed what did i do wront

i can not do this 

how are you

• Posted

Hi Terry

I'm glad you were able to go out with your friend. Not so glad about the other part. The restaurant could have used real cream and or butter in the mashed potatoes. I never had the bathroom issue but early on I associated food with my side pain. I was terrified to eat fat. I quickly over a couples months lost 30 pounds. My family was very worried about me which eventually led me to Mayo Clinic. Here I am 18 months after gallbladder surgery and I still have pain. I can't believe there is no one out there that has had this issue but found relief. Have a good night Terry. Out of couriosity what is your age? I'm 56

• Posted

GOod Morning Patricia,

I never thought about that. there most likely cream or milk in the potatos. It was awful. I am so tired of feeling this way. I want to go back to the way I was. I am like you terrified to over eat. I know I have lost weight. I am not hungry though. My surgeon who told me I could see him any time I needed to had his PA tell me now I have to go to my primary they can not help me no more. He is mad at me for what happened and he is not nice to me no more. I did nothing wrong. I do not want this for my life, I am so sad and sit here crying like an idiot. I am 61 years old. sick of not knowing what to eat. I would not want my best friend to know that I was sick half the night. with stomache ache, going to the bathroom. She called me and said when I leave work that she was coming by to get me and take me out to dinner. I have tried i can not drink that orange drink. i see my own doctor this week maybe he will send me to a gastrolgy. as for pain in my side i also get it not always though but when i do it goes around to part of my back. I am sorry you are going through so much pain with your side and that they can not figure out why.  I hope you have a good day. 

Terry

• Posted

Hi Terry so sorry to read you are suffering so much but it's early days after your op. I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago and have good days and bad. I've heard from various people it can take up to 6 weeks or more to feel normal. I'm still wary of eating but find soup doesn't do any harm. I think it's a case of trial and error where eating is concerned. Hope you improve soon and don't take any nonsense off those doctors. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Jill,

Thank You for writing. wow you only two weeks ago and I am complaining. I do try to have soup, as i can drink the broth from it. I will see my primary doctor this week and see what he says. I wish you luck in your recovery.

Terry

• Posted

Wish you luck seeing your GP. Let us know how you get on. Considering you have to pay for your treatment over there you should expect the best. Jill
    • Posted

Hi Jill,

How are you doing? I have had such a long day with so many things. I am eating not much. I went to the pharmacist they were no help. they told me to call my doctor. he told me that he is going to keep in touch my primary doctor as i email the surgeon and asked why he was no longer going to help me and that i wanted to know what to do as i am scared to eat. he sent me an email and said that for me to take this . i can buy over the counter  fiber is Konsyl, available at Walmart and Target.  Take one teaspoon with juice or water in the morning and one at night. did you ever hear of it? I am losing weight but I am not hungry. So what has been happening with you? I hope you are alright. Terry

• Posted

Hi Hope, My doctor appt for my primary care if thursday i sent the surgeon an email and asked him why he would no longer help me. he told me he will follow me close with my own doctor.   he told me to take

fiber is Konsyl, available at Walmart and Target.  Take one teaspoon with juice or water in the morning and one at night. did you ever hear of that? How are you doing. I hope good. i have to get some sleep i have a different appt in the am take care terry 

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

How are you? Does it cost alot to join the diet from Mayo? did you do it if so did it work. i have to figure what i am going to do. my surgeon told me to take    fiber is Konsyl, available at Walmart and Target.  Take one teaspoon with juice or water in the morning and one at night.  did you ever hear of it. I am going to bed an early day in the am. take care, terry 

• Posted

Hi Terry i just think it's just a matter of time to get better. I like you have got no appetite at all. I get a supplement from the health store that puts a lining on the stomach and find that helps before i eat. But quite honestly i could go without eating.. I used to love chocolate but don't give it a thought now. I haven't heard of the things you mention as i'm in the UK. I have heard off various people it takes about 6 weeks to feel good again so we'll see. After all it's early days for us yet. It is a major operation although it was keyhole. Sometimes i'm so tired i don't do anything. Another day i feel fine. It's good to hear from you. Take care. Jill x

• Posted

Hi Jill,

I know I believe you are right. I always loved chocolate and I bought a chocolate santa and i almost ate him but said no. my surgeon got mad at me and said all you eat is junk food. I can not wait to see my own doctor tomorrow. what is it you take to line your stomache? maybe it would help me. I do not think of food either. I know I have to eat so I have plain toast just to put something in my stomache. how can anyone eat 6 small meals aday. I never did. I am like you. Some times I get up and have a coffee and go back to sleep for 3 hours. I did not sleep last night i have another appt for something else today. take care i will talk to you later. terry 

• Posted

Hi Terry don't kmow if they will allow the name of what i take before meals on this site but it's called silicolgel.its for all gastrointestinal disorders. 15ml before you eat a meal. I took it before i had the op and found it really good. Funny thing is i'm not losing any weight although not eating much. I'm finding i wake up about 4am perhaps that's why i haven't much energy. But still i'm glad to be rid of the gallbladder. Take care. Jill

• Posted

Hi Jill,

I just got in. does that taste bad? I have to go to my reg

doctor tomorrow. i am not hungry and do not eat much any more i had toast this morning then an apple. i do not know what else to have. i am scared to ear still. yes i guess i should be happy to be rid of my GB also

as the surgeion said it was horrible. 

ttyl 

terry

• Posted

My surgeon told my husband that my GB was 5 times the size and full of fluid. I wonder if they say that to everybody. I had my MRI CAT scan today. If they don't find where this pain I always have then they want me to go to the surgeon that took out my GB. I will have to ask him a lot of questions. Let's see if the answers are the same. When I had trouble eating and terrified of fat I would make macaroni and cheese without the butter and little skim mik. You can even omit that to.

• Posted

Hi Jill,

My surgeon said my GB was horrible. I do not know what else. I see my PCP today. they told me i coulld not have cheese butter milk

i had a yougurt last night and was in so much pain and in the bathroom forever. i want to stop this pain. they are ordering me a cat scan. the surgeion said lisa will call you mon or tue to book you for a cat scan so i dont know. i hope you fell alright. i got to get going talk to you later

• Posted

Hi Terry. How are you doing now? Hope you're much better. I was doing really well until 3 weeks ago. Had a gallstone attack although I've had it removed. I ended up at A&E i was in terrible pain. The doctor there said he thinks some stones have been left behind. I'm having ultrasound next week so hopefully will find out. Can't eat much now but it will be good to see what the problem is. Do hope you're doing well. Jill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.