Meds post THR

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi

I'm due THR soon. Has anyone not had heavy duty painkillers to recover? If you have is it always morphine and tramadol. Thanks.

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Louise - I am not even on the replacement waiting list yet even though I have been suffering from severe osteoarthritis for twelve months now.  Becaiusebthebsteroidbinjection into my hipbone didn't decrease the pain, I was sent to a physiotherapist who did 't help at all, I have.after ten months been referred to the orthopaedic surgeon again.  Pain is very bad andbcannotnsleep at night.  What painkillers were you prescribed pre operation?
    • Posted

Hilltop you sound like me. My steroid inj didnt help much. Groin pain is ridiculous. Had to give up everything I enjoyed. I'm on amitryptiline for back pain. He doesn't get rid of hip or groin discomfort but gives me a good nights sleep which I hadn't had for months. Wd recommend. I'm on low dose 35mg. Wd like higher but they r addictive n harder to come off the higher the dose. I'm not on wait list yet but will be after seeing team in four weeks. I can't carry on like this. Xx
    • Posted

Btw no amount of physio will help once you have hip probs. my own gp sd all these hip inj and diagnostics r waste of time. Even arthroscopy is nothing like a new hip.
    • Posted

I couldn't sleep pre-op either because of the pain and my gp prescribed tramadol sr. Worked wonders with no side effects.
    • Posted

Shorts can I ask did I stay on tramadol for long or just one night?
    • Posted

I took tramadol at night for about 3 weeks prior to my operation. Didn't takeit  during the day because it made me sleepy. It was a slow release tab.
  • Posted

I had fairly heavy duty whilst in hospital. Sent home to use coccomadol, did not need anything after 10 days
  • Posted

Hi Lou,

I refused anything with codine (inc co-codramol) as the effect of constipatiton it causes is not worth it, two weeks with paracetamol and ibuprofin did it for me. Remember, we are all different and it does depend on pain threshold. Just avoid codine and best wishes for your op.

Dot.

• Posted

Hi Dot

Totally agree. It makes me unwell. I've heard some peps take morphine! Very scary

All the very best

• Posted

I can only have anything with codeine and paracetamol because I am not allowed any type of antinflammortories because I am diabetic I also contracted the codeine with plenty of fruit and veg so didn't suffer with constipation was also refused the tramadol
  • Posted

Hi Louise,

I was given Percocet. You will only have pain for about 1 week after the surgery. I had my THR on September 18. I was walking without a walker 5 days after the surgery. You will have discomfort but your pain that your had before the surgery will be gone!!!!! You will only have pain in your muscles and in the actual cut. Good luck!!

• Posted

Scoops you have made me very happy on hearing that. I've heard many peps on here say minimal pain relief is needed and that's one of the reasons I will defo go ahead, many thanks. Wish you well soon.
  • Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm 8 weeks out fron LTHR. At the hospital they gave me some painkillers that made me ill. So I just asked for Tramadol and Tylenol. Narcotics made me very nauseous. At home I only took 50 mg Tramadol as needed. It was sufficient for me. By the way, what is paracetamol?

• Posted

karen, you have made me very happy on hearing that. I've heard many peps on here say minimal pain relief is needed and that's one of the reasons I will defo go ahead, many thanks. Wish you well soon. Paracetamol u seriously not heard of them? Are u in the uk? U buy them over the counter. They are mild pain relief tabs.you heard of ibuprofen?
    • Posted

Hi Louise,

It's not that bad, the pain. Most of us hippies have been living in such horrible pain we have built up our pain threshold. it's easily manageable you are going to be sore and it is pretty rough the first day or two. However, by the time you're home you should need very mild pain relief. Ice packs really.help too. We are here to help you every step.of the way! :-)

I'm in the US chicago, Illinois. Yes, ibuprofen is used often for pain and inflammation. Is that the same as paracetamol?

• Posted

Hi karen

sorry to butt in, hope you don't mind as I am finding this thread really helpful because  I am allergic to so many pain killers, even morphine.

Paracetamol is exactly the same as Tylenol.  Ibuprofen is an anti inflamatiry ( NSAID! ) and one of those I cannot take. 

It is encouraging thta many of you post oppers have managed on minimal pain relief as this is one area that I am anxious about.  Tramadol acts as a sleeping draught and not pain relief in my case, I take them now only when sleep gets so bad because of the pain.  They literally knock me put. 

So its codeine in very small doses with paracetamol. That is the only things available to me and my op is at 8am tomorrpw. 

This thread had  ertainly helped.

thanks smile

• Posted

i take half ( yes you can split those tiny pills in two)of a 1mg

of lorenin to sleep painfree. I take no painkillers or

anti inflammatories. This works for me. I am having

my op tomorrow.

cathie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.