Meds post THR

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi

I'm due THR soon. Has anyone not had heavy duty painkillers to recover? If you have is it always morphine and tramadol. Thanks.

2 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had morphine using the self administrating watch in hospital for the first 24 hours then went on to dihydrocodeine. No ill effects from either. Had tramadol after previous hip resurfacing op and had bouts of depression so avoided it this time with my THR (9 weeks post op now)
  • Posted

I got scrips for Percocet and Vicodin, but I never needed them.  I had Morphine in my IV 1 time, I wasn't in much pain at all, and in the hospital at night I had them give me a Tylenol and a 50mg Tramadol that's it.
    • Posted

So you managed to cope with just those. That's a relief to hear and many thanks too.
  • Posted

Was sent home wearing a 5mg norspan patch for 2 weeks, plus endone 5-10mgs and panadol as a top-up. Only took endone for the 1st week, didn't really need it after that and didn't like how it made me feel. After 2 weeks out haven't needed any painkillers. Have trouble sleeping though; hard to find a comfy position still. I am 20 days post-op.
    • Posted

Ok so you didnt have time to become dependent on them then. Is that how it works with everyone or does it just depend on yr pain threshold?
    • Posted

Your meds are tailored to suit your needs, if you need pain relief you should get it. As no one wants to become dependant they are used as and when required. To be honest I let the time lapse lengthen, then realised I did not need at all. Took a lot back to the pharmacy
  • Posted

Yes, believe us when we say that the pain we suffered with for years before surgery is immediately gone as soon as we wake up from surgery. You'll have muscle aches, maybe some nerve pain, and the incision area will feel bruised but that is it. So a tramadol and tylenol should work just fine..Good Luck!
    • Posted

To hear the pain goes is nothing short of a miracle. To hear so many positive posts is so uplifting too. I just don't want to be given a drug that may not agree, that often happens and I'm more fearful of that tbh but sure I will be fine. Thanks for your and everyone's kind words.
    • Posted

Wonderful isn't it smile.  Can I also thank everyone who contributed to this thread. It has calmed me down no end. smile
  • Posted

I am generally on Tramadol & Vicodin every day. My surgeon took those two away & he has me on Dilaudid. It is the best for me because higher doses of Vicodin make me itchy. I had a LTHR in 2010 & came home with just Vicodin & it was a nightmare. He ended up prescribing Dilaudid back then. Saved my sanity! So, this time around, same surgeon, sent me home with it. I'm 13 days out from surgery & im already trying to taper down. 
  • Posted

Dear louise

Tramadol and morphine was my life saver

I just stopped any pain killers after aweek

That was great hope you will be

Good luck

• Posted

I was on morphine for one day plus paracetamol ibuprofen and coding. Carried on without the others not the morphine for the recovery time and suddenly realised I had started to take them less and less. Only take paracetamol now and then if I need it. Usually when I am tired. 
    • Posted

That should read codine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.