Memory lapse/confusion. Help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I’ve been doing so well since Christmas (major symptoms before that including depression, panic and severe digestive probs, weight loss etc) and was feeling more positive but have had a rough few days and I’m in a complete panic today…

I was up half the night with a return of severe heartburn, acid, pain under ribs and through to back. I had to take half a valium in the end to help me sleep. The symptoms set me off worrying about terminal causes even though I’ve had a CT scan, endoscopy etc. I’ve had extremely tender breasts for nearly a week even though my period isn’t due. Also carpel tunnel type symptoms and aching joints.

Anyway, I’m always walking into rooms and forgetting what I went in for but this morning scared me. I walk my daughter and her friend to school EVERY morning. The other mum picks them up from school every afternoon EXCEPT Wednesday when I have to pick up my daughter in the afternoon (because her friend has an after school club so her mother collects her later).

I knew it was Tuesday this morning but for some reason I thought I had to pick-up my daughter from school. I actually reminded her that I would pick her up today in the afternoon. She said: “No, Mum, it’s not Wednesday.” For some reason I just could not understand what she meant. I felt totally blank and was still sure that I was picking her up. I had somehow reversed the arrangement in my head – thinking that I picked her up every day EXCEPT Wednesday instead of the opposite. I was saying: “Yes, I know it’s Wednesday tomorrow, that’s why I’m picking you up today.”

But there is no reason that I should think that. We have had the same school arrangements since last September. This went on for at least a minute with me insisting that it’s Tuesday today so I will pick her up. In the end I could see the certainty on my daughter’s face, like she was trying to explain something very simple to me (she is 11). I somehow knew at that point that I must be wrong and she was right but realised I still couldn’t work out why. I felt so scared and confused. I felt so sure I was right about the arrangement but could see from the look on her face that I wasn’t. I felt blank and confused and suddenly very panicky. She explained once more and it finally clicked (all this took at least a minute). I apologised and said I was just tired: “Of course,” I said, “I only pick you up on a Wednesday.”This has really thrown me into a spin. I’ve never felt so confused or disorientated and it’s really scared me. Has anyone else had this sort of thing?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes! I've had this kind of thing too....it sounds like peri, Ruthie. Such confusion is very scary as you say and I've certainly had times when logic has abandoned me to the extent that I could have argued that black was white. Sometimes I can't even remember what month it is and I have to check the calendar. It sounds like you've had a very rough night and the lack of sleep together with your extreme anxiety about health issues have all conjoined to confuse you. And yes, our children probably think we're either mad or stupid or both. I too keep walking into rooms and forgetting why I'm there. This morning I couldn't find my handbag and honestly considered the idea that I'd put it in the washing machine along with the clothes. I hadn't but honestly what a muddled time it is. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    • Posted

Thanks Val, I've put things in odd places too! Some of these symptoms are so new, I think that's what makes them so frightening.
  • Posted

Ruthie, you just sound like me......from 2002 onwards!

I've always done 10 things at once - none of them well, but that's just me.  I can be easily distracted but thats a family-thing. (One of my sisters' is mega-bad: think she would have been diagnosed with ADD - honestly I do - if they'd known that term in the late 50s/early 60s!).

I'm forever having to go back upstairs/go back into a room to retrace my steps to remember what I was meant to have done etc.  And although I can remember names from 'Year Dot', I sometimes struggle to get current names right. Recently called son's new girlfriend by his Ex's name: well almost, no sooner as I opened my mouth I knew what I had done and short of dribbling, I tried to blag my way out of it - plain embarrassing!  I just BS'd my way out of that, much to my son's delight!!

Gone are the days of my 'Business Head' where I kept a daily diary pretty well in my head!  I find its so much easier to write things down in a diary now.

Also, when I wake in the night and start raking over something and nothing, I find it really good to have a little pad and pen on my bedside cabinet. Whatever's keeping me awake gets written down, and then I KNOW I can safely go back to sleep!  Sure we all do this anyway?!!

Also finding I'm getting a little OCD about checking things before I go out: oven off, hobs switched off, windows closed, doors shut.  Again, probably just a female-thing that I now do but hadn't in the recent past.

You do have my sympathy re: your daughter. We pick our grandson up from school twice a week.  We check, double-check, text and double-text:  the thought of getting that wrong brings us both out in a cold sweat, let alone worrying how the traffic will be (25mins on a good day, but can be an hour-plus journey some days when the traffic's badfrown!!)

Unfortunately, I just see this as part of 'Me' at the moment.  My husband interprets what I'm trying to say and we have had a few laughs at my 'spoonerisms'.  But I have to say, since I've been taking Menopace Original, for me personally, I've noticed a 100% improvement in my(really bad) aching joints and my overall mood generally, like I feel a bit like the old 'Me' and I'm Back in the Game (to quote the luvverly Mickey Flannaganwink!

Not sure if you're taking anything - HRT, vit/min supplements - but there are lots of women who can give you some great advice regarding the best ones to try to help you with this 'foggy head'-thing.

Go and have a sit down, a nice cuppa and maybe have a float around this brilliant site for some advice.  But I'm sure you'll get lots of replies to your post to reassure you.

Chin Up Kid!

Sx

• Posted

Hi Shaznay,

ithink I will give the menopace a try. I take various vits and minerals but to be honest I get really confused with it all. I read the reviews and they look pretty good, so might be worth a try. Had you tried other things before the menopace?

• Posted

Thanks Shaznay,

It all sounds so familiar! I think that's the key though, like you say, to see this phase as just the new 'me' at the moment. I find it hard to accept though. I'm usually very organised and hate this getting days mixed up etc.

I'm not on HRT (yet!). I'm nearly 50 and still getting periods but they are all over the place. Taking St John's Wort, B6, B12, VitD and progesterone cream. The heartburn and indigestion are really bad at the moment. Can't wait for happier days :-)

• Posted

Hi Ruthie

Now i'm not always sensible, I make a joke of most things, see the funny side of most things, but St Johns Wort....that got me thinking.

That's pretty strong stuff in it's own right and I'm not sure what it safely interacts with, but just be careful about adding other vits/min supplements to that and what you're already taking, just to be safe.

I know I rattle on about Menopace, but for me personally I find it works a treat. I was topping up a bit of Magnesium to the RDA but I'm not sure its for me: I felt a bit 'gutty' with it so I'd dropped it.

I have reintroduced it and still felt a bit 'gutty', so that's not for me for the time being.

Thing is, we can buy all this stuff over-the-counter, but like anything, it can do us more harm than good if we don't use it properly,

even vits and mins.

I only say this as you are already taking Vits B12, B6 and Vit D and they're in Menopace too.

I'd also mention the St Johns Wort to your GP as I'm not sure how this interacts with prescribed meds, especially ADs etc.

Sorry. Just m. Must have picked up the 'worry beads' this morning :-) !

• Posted

Hiya

I'm adverse to taking any meds at all generally, so have only ever taken Menopace on a regular basis since 1st Jan. Only 'meds' I've ever taken really.

Tried a bit more Magnesium recently but felt it made me feel 'gutty'. Reintroduced it recently but still felt a bit 'gutty' so dropping that.

Always make sure you're not exceeding the recommended daily

dose (RDA) as I'd say something as 'harmless' as a vit/ min supplement can be a bit dangerous in excessive doses.

If you're taking vits/mins already, check you're not double-dosing if you start taking Menopace!!

Sx

• Posted

ThNks. I will. I'm going to drop the others and give it a try. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie

I too walk into rooms & forget what I was going to do.

Last week I was putting a box of tampax in the fridge just about to close the door when I realised what I had done.

A few months back I was driving along came to a mini roundabout & could not think for the life of me whether I should give way to the right or left, I've been driving since the age of 17.

Hope the anxiety of it all passes & you can pass it off as a bad day. x

• Posted

That made me laugh Deborah! biggrin Just the sort of thing I would do. I just cannot multi-task any more - everything just gets jumbled up. What makes matters (much) worse for me is that I add a ton of anxiety to every symptom that happens. Thanks for your support.
    • Posted

Hiya

I hadn't read your whole thread yet but my eye was drawn to 'tampax' and 'fridge'. I thought it was a novel tip for a Peri hot flush!! I wouldn't rule it out tho':-)

Either that or it was a reference to '50 Shades of Grey'!

Sorry, but was i the only one who got a third in, yawned, and threw the book away?! Dont even think the film would have done anything for me either as 'Mr Grey' sounded like the most unsexy, unattractive bloke this side of.....Cyril 'the Perv' Smith!!

Like the film critics said: where was all the sweat? And what about the smells, faces, 'fanny farts' like with proper, good sex?!!! (Yes, I have a great memory :-) !)

Still think the 'frozen tampon' sounds better than fisting or bondage any day but hey, each to their own:-) !!!

I'll leave you all with that thought, and thanks for the tip deborah:-)

Sx

• Posted

Hi Shaznay

That was funny, never thought of that but maybe it would cool us down, maybe a new brand in the supermarkets. Frozen tampax for peri menopause smile x

• Posted

You'll be okay dear.  I too forget what I went downstairs for and actually if you go back to the place you were helps big time, and you will remember again.  I do this often.  Good excercise.  😀

I too forget what day it is.  Theres a hormone in your brain that's leaving the system that's why we have brain fog.  We just have to be more alert with things and make lists...post it notes are great!  xxoo

• Posted

Thanks HotDot7,

You sound very calm. I haven't found the adjustment so easy - I just want to function like I used to. They don't call it The Change for nothing do they. I feel knocked sideways with all these new symptoms sometimes.

• Posted

Awww Ruthie you are very very nice.  I have my moments but things are better than they were.  I cut things out of my life. And just realized we can't do as much as we used to.  Health must come first.  I was running on empty.  I just downsized my life and things got better.  Guess I am not a multi tasker anymore and it's sad but it is peaceful and lovely.  Have a beautiful, peaceful day dear!  xo
    • Posted

You will find what works best for you and then you'll be smiling and even singing again.  Everyone is different so we're really on our own.  The Menopace really sounds good.  It's all natural for people suffering night sweats and hot flushes.  Google it, it's interesting.  xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.