Meniere's

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok can Meniere's cause dizziness none stop every day and feeling blah all day everyday?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it sure can. Not fun at all. Low Sodium Diet, no Caffeine, and a Diuretic is what they suggest. I have tried Pine Bark Supplement along with the recommendations from my Doctor and it's really helped with that brain fog, ongoing dizziness. Google Pine Bark. Might be worth a try for you.

• Posted

Oh yes! This is the main symptom I get... I call it "floating", it's plain awful. It's so disabling and debilitating... ive been off work with this for nearly a month now, back at work on Monday, see how long I last until the next bout.

I've been taking omega 3 for my poor brain and it seems to be working for now.

Good luck!

• Posted

It seems that many people diagnosed with Meniere's only have vertigo, dizzy spells, unbalanced feeling along with the feeling of fulness in the ears and some hearing loss every so often (days, weeks, months or even years can go by between attacks.) The attack usually lasts only hours or days. My worse attack lasted 3 days when I was younger. I was diagnosed when I was 19 and now I'm 68, almost 50 years. Some years i didn't have any attacks and other years i would have a few. The last 3 years I've averaged 29 days out of the year when i would start feeling dizzy. I've also been told that Meniere's only lasts about 10 years until it burns itself out. Either I don't have Meniere's or most of the knowledge about it is wrong. I have medium hearing loss in both ears, but that loss didn't start until about 20 years ago and has remained constant in severity with no fluctuations. I also don't remember ever have a sudden loss of hearing during an attack. That's another symptom according to the doctors.

Unfortunately for a little over a month now I have been plagued with the symptoms you are talking about, a constant unbalanced feeling with bouts of dizziness, and feeling blah all the time. At first I thought I had a viral infection in my inner ears because i've never had more than a 3 day long attack. I may have but I had vestibular testing again a week ago and the tests didn't show any abnormalities that would indictate any other problems with my inner ears. So now they think I may be getting vestibular migraines which are migraines that don't have to include a headache (but i've experienced heavy pressure in my head) but do cause dizziness and an unbalanced feeling that can be constant. So now I'm going to vestibular physical therapy to help retrain my brain to ignore the unbalanced feelings etc. But the physical therapist told me she doesn't think it will help me much since I probably need migraine medication. I asked the doctor about migraine medication and she wants to try the pt first before adding another medication to what I already take. I take a strong diuretic, allergy medications, and either meclizine or diphenodal as needed for vertigo. I stay away from salt and caffeine and drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. I hope you are getting better and that your constant dizziness ends soon. You might want to ask your doctor about vestibular migraines. I guess it's possible that a,number of people who are diagnosed with Meniere's actually have vestibular migraines. They have the same symptoms for the most part except I guess the duration of the attacks.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Patricia! I was first told I had it in 1998 they did the ear perfusion and I was on a fluid pill it completely went away for about 15 or so years now 3 years ago it's back and been dealing with it every since they did the perfusion again but it apparently didn't work this time I have been out of work for 3 years and have put in for my disability I'm only 39 with 3 kids not a fun way to be. I had to change doctors this month because of insurance changes and the new ENT I went to said he doesn't think it's Meniere's he thinks it's vestibular migraines so now I'm back to square one. It has really been bad the passed two weeks dizzy brain fog the shakes I'm not taking anything right now because he said he wants me to go to a neurologist to be checked for the migraines so I don't know what to do. I have started physical therapy but wasn't able to make it today cause I'm just really weak and off balance. I'm just at a loss right now why can't they fix this!

• Posted

I don't know about the procedure, ear perfusion , that you mentioned. What exactly is that and is it a treatment for Meniere's?

• Posted

Horrible... so sorry Daniel. The Dizziness is the worse. Keep us posted on what your other Doctor comes up with.
    • Posted

Thanks Angela! I will sure keep y'all posted let's pray they get whatever it is fixed

• Posted

I was reading about Hydrops the other day. The Study I read is how most people that have MD also have hydrops. Google Hydrops.
    • Posted

Yea it's a steroid and some other kind of medicine together I can't remember what the other it

• Posted

I'm sorry the steroid didn't work this time for you. I've never had that procedure done. No one's ever offered it to me either and it makes me wonder why?

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

You've been dealing with this !##t for 50 years??  God Bless You.  You are one strong lady!

I can't believe you've never been offered steroid injections.  They saved me.  Really.  I didn't respond at all, to conservative measures and I'd been on the couch for an entire year — the MD (rotational vertigo, vomiting, hearing loss, loss of balance, aural fullness, tinnitus) just wouldn't quit.  It took several months, but I am so grateful for the injections....It was well worth the wait.  Additionally, there are no side effects. The key with steroid injections is patience:  It's a subtle process,  as over time, your episodes gradually decrease in frequency and intensity...and ultimately, go away.  For some people, symptoms go away for many months to several years.  For others, they need a "booster" ever few months.  It's highly individual.  

It might be something you could ask your ENT/otolaryngologist about, during your next visit?

Take good care!

J-

• Posted

Patricia,

I just saw your note about Vestibular Migraines....I have no idea if steroids are being used for that.  I know only that they are an approved treatment for MD. 

J-

• Posted

I need to ask my doctor about steroid injections into the ear. Perhaps they use it when all else fails. Until now I have had good success controlling symptoms with meclizine and diphenodal. Thank you for sharing your success with the injections.
    • Posted

They don't know for sure if it is vestibular migraines or Meniere's or both. I talked with a woman today who told me about a specialized eye movement physical therapy that she underwent for symptoms of constant unbalanced feelings that were very successful for her. It took about 2 months but the symptoms subsided.

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I hope you'll ask your doctor about the steroid injections.  When conservative measures don't work, they are the next step.  They enable me to live a normal life, without any side effects.  There was a time when I didn't think that was possible!

I wish you all the best!

J-

• Posted

I do have to say that i've had a very good life during those 50 years thanks to the mercy and grace of God. I have had bad days but so many more good days that I can't feel sorry for myself at all. My life has not really been controlled by these symptoms and for that i'm grateful.

• Posted

You sound like a very strong woman, Patricia!  I admire you for not letting it defeat you.  Fifty years!?!?  You deserve a medal!! After a solid year with no reprieve from the vertigo, I felt abandoned and hopeless.  I wish I had your strength!!  But (thankfully) my ENT threw up his hands and said he "had no more to offer me" and referred me to my otolaryngologist.  My otolaryngologist was alarmed that I'd been suffering for so long.  That very day, he gave me my first steroid injection.   He was my angel....definitely Heaven-sent!!  

Take good care,

J-

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.