Meniere's disease and other medical conditions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am wondering how many forum members have other, seemingly unrelated, conditions as well as MD. Exeter University medical school in England has found that there appears to be a link between MD and “immune system disorders and diseases related to the autonomic nervous system, such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohn’s Disease, and arthritis.”

What do members think about this?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Misti,

In terms of autoimmune disorders, I have fairly diffuse osteoarthritis and chronic interstitial cystitis.  When I was a young woman, I had polycystic ovary disease. 

I have Factor V Leiden (blood clotting disorder), temporal lobe epilepsy, and was born with a number of congenital disorders of the GU system and bone.  Severe motion sickness was a scourge throughout my life, from when I was a very little kid until I was in my late 40's.  I also used to fall down a lot when I was young, but my doctors used to say it was due to my height and weight....quite tall and heavy for my age. 

I began to experience Depression when I was a teenager, something I've battled for years.  A 

• Posted

Sorry....I hit return by mistake!

I began to experience Depression as a teenager, but it was clearly related to growing up with domestic violence and abuse.  Later in life, after a number of significant traumas, I was diagnosed with PTSD.  I'm dedicated to finding redemption in all of this, and being hit with MD really threw a monkey wrench into my ongoing efforts at therapy.  

Interestingly, my congenital deformities and neurological glitches are supposedly due to my mother being on amphetamines for the 9 months she was pregnant with me (Obocells...heavy duty speed).  I wonder if that could have contributed in any way to making me a good candidate for MD.

I'm the first person in my family to have MD.  

I'll be interested to hear from other members of the forum...I've always been interested in whether motion sickness as a young person, was any kind of predictor.

Take good care, 

• Posted

Hi J

Girl, you had a rough start in life; it's hard to see how your mother's drug problems would not have had an effect on your growing body when she was pregnant with you. Have you ever looked that up? The effects of that particular drug and if it could create a malformation of the inner ear perhaps?

I have long wondered about severe trauma and how it might set people up for health problems later in life.

My friend also has to deal with PTSD from an horrendously abusive childhood, and it was after several years of therapy, just when she hoped for a better life that she developed all the health problems with CVI and then MD and diabetes.

I wonder about veterans as well  -  there seems to be several who have posted here. Many have been through so much in their service of their country.

I'm sorry you had so many problems,  both with family and with physical health. It seems unfair to have MD on top of it all.

All best wishes  -  M

• Posted

Thank you, Misti.  I appreciate it. You know, I'm very lucky to have been a reader, and thus realized fairly early on that things weren't right, and that there was help available.   Granted, when I began therapy, it was not "fashionable" or acceptable, as it is today.  But still, it was a tremendous help.  

I've done lots of research on the effects of amphetamines in utero and have consulted with a number of physicians on the subject, as well.  It's pretty much a unanimous conclusion that the drugs had a significant effect on my neurological development, and were likely responsible for the bone and GU congenital deformities.  Insofar as the GU problems, I would not have lived had certain technologies (like the IVP) not been developed when I was just a few years old.  That resulted in my being able to have the corrective surgeries I needed in order to survive.  As you probably know, we're still quite far behind in understanding the brain, and neurological problems in general...So, I'm still dogged with those issues.  And trauma....well....thankfully, there are some new modalities that can be embraced, that are very effective in helping with everyday life.  I've been working on it.

I've never discussed the pre-natal amphetamine connection with my otolaryngologist.  I'm fairly sure that's not a common theme among MD patients.  But I do know that my neurological wiring is screwed up, and I wouldn't be surprised if made me more vulnerable in some way, to MD.  

In thinking back about unusual things that might have stressed my system, that might possibly have played a role in my getting MD, I thought of another thing:  I had to work at my father's automotive garage from the time I was 9 until I was 21.  I worked there 6 days a week, pumping (leaded!) gas and fixing cars.  I inhaled a LOT of exhaust fumes in my day.  Additionally, we wore no ear protection back then, and it was very loud in the bays. Who knows if that was a contributor. 

Later on, during my 20's, when I began my own career, I was inadvertantently exposed to quite a few toxic chemicals, as well as radiation.  I switched to an office envioronment in my 30's which was probably a lot safer!

So, for me....I feel as though there are simply too many variables to consider.  I could spend the rest of my life trying to zero in on the causes.  I'm willing to go with the immune theory, since it seems to underly so many diseases, and it makes so much sense.  But with our polluted environment/food/water, I'm not so optimistic about our ability to really get a handle on it. 

Well...I've rambled on for much too long!

I think this is great thread!

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

None apply to me.
    • Posted

Hi again Angela

Thanks for replying

It's good to hear from you again,  and really good to know that you have none of those conditions.

I do hope that you continue to do well with your diet and supplement regime.

Wishing you continued good health - M

• Posted

Your post was interesting.  Has anyone had Bell's Palsy with Meniere's?  I had Bell's last summer and the hospital said it was caused by Lyme Disease. .As I reported earlier, my doctor in Philadelphia told me not Lyme's since I have had two tests that were negative for the disease. However what caused the Bell's?  From googling, it says that 12% of oeople inflicted with Lyme's have an occurrence with Bell's.  

• Posted

Hi Pat

You have Bell's Palsy as well as MD?

When you were researching did you find any connection between those conditions and MD?

I have read that some doctors /  researchers think that a small number of people with MD might have an eruption of an old herpes virus infection in their inner ear, similar to people who have had chicken px in the past getting shingles when the virus reactivates.

I hope you find a way to manage your health problems. All the best - M

• Posted

I have jus joined this forum mistibuey because I saw your post. I have just spent hours reading about all the links of other conditions to Meniere's on a website [link removed by moderator]

A real eye opener I can tell you. Loads about the immune system and gut issues. So much I didn't know before and have never been told. I hope my ENT or GP will agree to get me tested for some of these.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Oh, sorry. I didn't read the rules. Anyway, made me look at Meniere's very differently. Interested to see how many people have these other conditions because I think I need to checked for all this. Thank you for informing me moderator.

• Posted

Hi Phil

Do you think you could find a way to point us to what you found without posting a link?

I hope you are getting some help with your health problems.

Best wishes - M

• Posted

Hi Misti,

Was on that site all last night and have emailed them for help. They say they reply within 24hours, so we will see but I can see many things I am doing that might be making things worse. Just need a bit a guidence. Hmmm not sure how I can do this without a link, don't want to upset the moderator or anyone else. Maybe this is ok? Do a google search for 'Meniere's Help Thyroid' that was the page I landed on, their article about thyroid. It is on their blog. have spent most of my time on their main site since. Would love to know what you think and discuss what you find.

• Posted

Hi again Phil

I found the site thanks. I'll have a good look later and get back to you but I have to go out now.

One thing I did notice though is that the guy running the site is selling two books. Meniere's completely turns people's lives upside down and is so unpredictable that everyone searches for "the answer"  -  I spend too much time consulting Dr Google myself!

I would not want to tell you what to do , but I think it might be wise to be very careful of anyone who is selling a product.

Misti

• Posted

HI Misti,

I sounds like you are at the same site. The guy's name is Mike. He answered last night with a very long and I have to say helpful email. I asked him about the thyroid possibility and he then sent me links to two of his articles about endocrine disorders and metabolism because they are connected. I asked him about his books and honestly? He said you can find most of what you need on the site and blog, didn't try to sell me anything. He also said he is happy to talk with me for as long as it takes. He even gave me his skype address, but I don't fancy that because of my hearing. He seems a really genuine guy though and you can tell he knows his stuff and has experience.

In the end I did buy one of his books and downloaded it. Read the first few chapters and truthfully I am glad I did. I am finding answers there that I cannot anywhere else. He has really done his research, that is easy to see and has a great way of communicating everything in easy to understand language. I am just about to email him again with a few questions I have. I trust my gut and my gut tells me Mike is a good guy. Will let you know how it goes.

• Posted

Hi Phil

I'm so glad you have found a source of information that you trust and find helpful.

Meniere's seems to be so complicated doesn't it. Good luck in your quest

M

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.