Menieres, migraine and constant dizziness/wooziness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all again, sorry for posting all the time. I really am losing my mind with the constant dizziness. I had a CT scan today to rule out some other conditions, ended up going into a shop (for the first time in MONTHS) couldn’t do much, and ended up with a really bad headache (could this be a vestibular migraine? I’ve never suffered with headaches before). It’s just so difficult to imagine life returning to normal and I was wondering if anybody else suffered with constant dizziness as well as attacks? And if so, did you ever figure out how to get rid of it? It’s bringing me down so much. 

All the best,

Christina 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is something I would only do if you aren't getting any results and desperate to try some to give you some relief.  You may remember I was on patches behind my ear plus I was taking a water pill.  This did work for me and I never got vertigo or dizziness or nausea while on these.  The side effect was chronic dry mouth but I would rather have it than the vertigo and nausea.  This is something you might try for a week or two and see if it helps.  I'm off the patches now for the last 5 days.  Just a hint of vertigo but really so far so good and today is the first day I can say it seems my dry mouth is going away.  IF you want to try these...the patches are Scopolamine Transdermal System and you do need a prescription for them.  The water pill isn't all that strong after hearing from others who are on a water pill and I take one a day and it's only 12.5mg.   Like I said, this stopped the vertigo and nausea and maybe this could work for you.  I wouldn't stay on it over a couple of weeks and just use as needed after that.   I hope you can get some relief and maybe some others will give you some better advice.  I hate this and wish they could find a cure for it!!!

• Posted

Thanks Patrick for your advice! Ill try anything right now. So were you suffering constantly as well? I can’t believe we’re expected to just carry on living like this, it’s impossible!
    • Posted

I only had two bad attacks before I went to an ENT and they said I had Meneries.  The ENT put me on the patches and I just assumed that was standard treatment but after getting on the chat room, I see Betahistine is more of a common treatment and doesn't have the side effects.  Since I got on the patches, I never had any more attacks.  They are the patches people wear when going on a cruise to not get sea sickness.  Are you on Betahistine?   Like I said, I also take a water pill.  I'm still on the water pill.  I've been off the patch for 5 days now and the last couple of days I'm not suffering from dry mouth and getting some taste buds back.   If you try the patches, I would only do them for a couple of weeks and see if it gives you relief but then go off of them for a few days.  I feel for you not getting any relief!

• Posted

are you on anything diuretic? betahistine?...lots of water? low salt?....what seems to make it worse and are you seeing an ENT?  did the shop have flourescent lights?...start journaling everything when your dizziness is worse....what you ate if your in bight light darkness low light etc....and try to start finding triggers?   also I will try and find a good read for you abbot triggers.....first you more then likely need to be prescribed one of the typical safe drugs that we have all had...diuretic/ beta etc.... If your not happy with your doctor as some know little about this....see someone else......good luck it will get better!  Be strong!
    • Posted

Hey, yes I’m currently on betahistine 16mg, not been on them for too long, maybe a month. It seems like any movement will trigger dizziness, I’ve completely cut salt, caffeine and alcohol out of my diet too (caffeine definitely set attacks off for me). I haven’t had an attack since Nov 22nd and I may have the betahistine to thank for that! I’ve only had symptoms since a plane journey in September and just wish I’d never flown. Thank you for the encouragement, I really pray it does get better. 
    • Posted

try lots of water I drink 64ml a day....start early.....airplanes sometimes make me feel better sometimes worse..
    • Posted

I naturally barely drink to be honest, maybe that’s where I’m going wrong. I’ll try to up my intake today. Thanks for the advice, I’ll aim for a litre a day is that enough? (Did you mean 640ml?). What medication are you currently on?
    • Posted

Meant 64 oz.   4 bottles sorry I'm on betanistine and dyazide trying to wean off the dyazide 

• Posted

i know what you going through been there ,had mine now for six months tried everything kept a diary every day.what i did do having come onto this site was upped my medication ,(besthistine i was on 16gm three times a day so took an extra tablet in morning takes about four weeks to kick in i also take pollenase allergy relief its a nasal spray when my head feels as if its filling up i take a dose as prescribed  and it seems to help i also take a couple of panadol for headache ,you need to keep a record of your dosage on all the meds it has worked for me i am a lot better ,i still have tinnitus but got use to that and sometimes loud noise also affects m so use ear plugs. i hope this helps keep me informed of any progress .

Take care   CAROL

• Posted

Thanks carol, so are you able to go about your day to day life normally now? I may consider upping the betahistine if nothing works and I have an appointment with an ENT on the 21st 
  • Posted

yes i can ,have an occasional day were i feel a bit heady and earing sensitive  but at least can carry on ,mornings are the worse until i have taken tablets then it begins to wane a bit,so try to take tablets early if i can but im afraid bit of late riser as i am retired lol.i hope this works for you please keep in touch.

carol

• Posted

That’s brilliant to hear, I’m glad you’re doing so much better! It’s got to the point now where I can never imagine going back to normal so it’s encouraging to hear you can live normally. I’ll try taking some painkillers today and hope they work. Were you still quite dizzy with 3x 16mg? I want to wait to ask the ENT whether I should increase my dose but I’m so desperate that I want to try anything ASAP. 
  • Posted

have been on 16gm three times a day for five years decided to drop one at night  but then it started again so took night one again but didnt work so i decided to take extra one in morning ,so thats 32 gm in morning and 16 gm at lunch time and night time,dizziness subsided a lot ,did not ask doctor as they dont seem to know much about it but had tablet review so asked for more tablets which i got,but does take three to four weeks before any difference.

• Posted

I see, well I am glad it’s worked so well for you. so you were taking 3x16 for five years until you decided to drop one? Thank you for answering all of my questions smile 
    • Posted

Carol183 is right.

I was diagnosed with Menieres about 4 years ago, after pressurising my GP to be referred to the hospital.I was prescribed Betahistine 16 mg 3 times daily.and have had no follow up from hospital or GP,

The GPS I saw did not seem to understand about Menieres so if I have a bad few days I double the Betahstine and take Serc tabs. for sickness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.