Meniscal tears

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have a meniscal tear and think I will be turned down for surgery. Has anyone experienced any successful results with conservative treatment of a meniscal tear? Many thanks.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had surgery for my meniscus tear. 4 years later had TKR due to bone on bone.
  • Posted

Hi, I had an arthroscopy for a meniscus tear, it lasted for quite a few years.

I have since had both knees replaced.

I don't think there is any way of dealing with it rather than go in and take any loode bits out.

• Posted

Laura what procedure was carried out at arthroscopy?
    • Posted

Removal of loose bits of cartilage first one, then a few years later, microfracture.
    • Posted

When he did mine second time he gave me pictures of the inside of my knee. Showed cracks in my thigh bone from friction. He said if I watch my weight etc should last lest of my life. I figure tkr is in my future cause if that.
    • Posted

The microfracture was good, lasted about two years, that was on my left knee, I'd had my right one replaced a couple of years before.

I've since had the left one replaced as well. Arthritis was just too bad, bone on bone, and now in my hip and spine, so very prone to it.

• Posted

What Chris's 306 said:  identical to my experience 

• Posted

If it's torn it needs to be fixed. It can get worse. If the pieces get caught in the joint it will lock and that hurts. If it chews off pieces they can float around and get caught in joint and hurt and cause locking. They screwed around authorizing my treatment and I ended up with a mess and bleeding inside. I have heard of some people doing therapy for it. But I am not sure how it turned out. Depends on how bad the tear is I guess.

• Posted

Thanks for yyour reply. Why did you have bleeding in the joint? Are you taking warfarin?
    • Posted

Nope. Just ended up having to walk and work with it chewing up stuff for 7 months. Blood vessels and such got chewed on. I had 3 scopes done. Meniscus taken out all 3 times. Tears where repaired. First surgery was 1985. Second and third in 2002. Still have my knee. Things are pretty good. Get synvisc injections to help out.
  • Posted

I have had a total of six meniscal tears, three on each knee. Once they open you up you will have to have it done again and again until you have to have total or partial knee replacement. I had to get partial knee replacement on my right knee on Nov 2. In Feb I plan on having the left one done. Just remember repear of a meniscal tear is only a band aid. Just like my partial knee replacement. It is just biding time for my total knee replacement! Good luck in your decision.
    • Posted

Thanks BigLouDalton for your reply. It is much appreciated. x
  • Posted

I had a repair done to a severe meniscal tear 7 years ago. Was reasonable for 5 years but have now had a TKR.  My surgeon refused to do TKR untill it was bad enough to met his criteria.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

What happened to change the surgeons mind and to do a TKR?

• Posted

More damage to the leftover meniscus - wear and tear - bone on bone and arthritis setting in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.