Meniscal tears

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have a meniscal tear and think I will be turned down for surgery. Has anyone experienced any successful results with conservative treatment of a meniscal tear? Many thanks.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

not all meniscus tears require surgery.

I lived with mine successfully for many years.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Did you have any physio treatment, ultra sound or upport bandages or a knee brace? Did you have to non wieight bear at all? Sorry to ask so many questions.
  • Posted

I had a meniscal tear repair on right knee over 10 years ago and has no further problems. Then this year had my left knee meniscal tear repaired in February now waiting for TKR
    • Posted

Mind my asking what age group you were in when you had it done.

Thank you for repling.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Sorry if my question was rather personal I was inerested in knowing if operations were done on the over 60's. Thanks.

• Posted

I was in my 60's had both knees TKR. Very succesful.

• Posted

I feel your pain! It won't fix itself no matter what they tell you. They have to go in and shave off the torn part so it's smooth. It's an outpatient procedure. Not that big of a deal. Although you will need crutches. There will be a lot of swelling bruising and pain. Just make sure you have pain meds and don't over do it! Tell your doctor you want it fixed asap! That's what I did cause I was in so much pain. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Renee

I will as I am now really depressed due to the pain and the thought of becoming immobile.

• Posted

Hello icecool

yes I had a meniccal tear and wash out done in December last year.

it felt better at first, but following being pushed to hard in physio and other problems in same dept, my knee got damaged.

limped around fir a long time, and this resulted in a total knee replacement 

in August.

fingers crossed, doing okay so far and hope it continues that way.

hope you keep well, and good luck

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I will get a referral as I am fed up with being in pain and inactive.
    • Posted

You need to get it sorted. It won't go away on its own sadly. The recovery from an arthroscopy is not too bad - a few weeks and you will be right as rain smile

• Posted

Thanks. That gives me the courage to tackle this. x
    • Posted

Don't worry about an arthroscopy, it's a short operation, and you'll soon be over it, and the relief of the pain going is so worth it.

You're not really immobile for long.

• Posted

Thanks Laura. I am so fed up with it, I have been using the tens machine on my knee. I detest any medications such as pain killers as they don't touch the pain anyway so feel it is pointless in taking them.

?Do you find the stairs a problem?

Thanks for your kind words. xx

• Posted

Not anymore, I've had both knees replaced, the second just over a year ago.

If the pain is so bad you're using a tens, you really need to get something done, you'll be glad you did.

Knee pain just gets worse and worse, don't put up with it.

• Posted

Thanks Laura I will get something done about it. xx
    • Posted

Omg I hate the TENS machine. They did it once at PT and it was agony! I never used it again.
    • Posted

For me most the pain was just swelling. Once it goes down, it's just healing time.

• Posted

Guy at therapy had it set wrong once. It shocked me hard. I yelled. He laughed. Told him get it off me before I toss him threw a window. I am over 6 foot and weigh 230 pounds. He wasn't 130 soaking wet

• Posted

Renee The setting on the tens must have been too high. I find some relief but not enough.
    • Posted

NZJENNI

?Did you have it done in the UK? Hope u don't mind my asking you.

xx

• Posted

Omg it was right where the tear was too. And the ice blanket wrapped around just made it worse. I prayed the rosary to get me through it! Worse than being drilled by the dentist with no novacaine. I couldn't walk that night or the next day. I had to use crutches. I am a bit of a baby bit that was bad.

• Posted

Lol!! I should have said something but I had never used one before so I didn't know what it was supposed to feel like. I just laid there in pain till it stopped. Couldn't walk without crutches after that. Omg live and learn right?

• Posted

Yeah the swelling is definitely the most cause of the pain. Once that subsides you're good to go!

• Posted

I have a pretty high tolerance to pain. It made me jump and yell what the... It shocked me hard. Lol
    • Posted

Supposed to work the muscle so it relaxes better after. They used it a couple times. I didn't like it. Had a chiropractor use one on my knock a couple times. Loosens it up so he can make adjustments

• Posted

Well my knee is pretty bony so damn I don't think it did anything to the muscle!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.