menopausal symptoms at 58

Posted , 47 users are following.

Hi, I'm 58 and started the menopause at 50 when my periods stopped. At first I relieved because I didn't have PMT or periods anymore but now at my age I'm suffering from severe anxiety, depression, insomnia, mood swings far worse than ever before. I have suffered from these symptoms for years and take medication for them but everything seems just awful. Today also I woke with a start at 4.30am feeling light headed, dizzy. I'm really scared and was wondering if I should still have these symptoms at my age and could they be related to the menopause?

5 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello im 58 too and started peri at 49 then into menopause at 53 i am still suffering and in fact as some symptoms ease off others appear. im light headed daily and the rest .

• Posted

Hi. First time on here, after googling peri menopause forums. Im 41 and while my periods are still regular (slightly longer between them of late), im experiencing so many of these symptoms. Im reassured to read about the sudden waking in the night in a grip of a panic attack. exact same thing happened to me last week, i was very scared. when i did manage to get to back to sleep some hours later i woke up again soaking in sweat. ive always suffered with anxiety but its getting worse. its so hard to explain but i have these sudden surges in my head and everything seems to tilt for a split second, dont know if anyone else can relate to that? my sex drive is suffering and my husband thinks im going off him. im healthy ish but after reading this thread im going to make a real effort to adopt some lifestyle changes. My mum says she was early 40's when she started to have similar symptoms. she went on hrt but got breast cancer so im thinking its not an option for me? thanks for reading

• Posted

Hi .1st time here quite new to menopose .I am 42 for the last three years I had all the symptoms plus very irregular periods and started to put on weight very bad .My gp always told me that i have problems with period because i have to lose weight and stop smoking .I start to exercise doing different diets but the kg were not coming off and my periods stop..Recently I changed my gp and start to be very depressive ,crying without any reasons to the point that I have started to think why I am alive ...I have three boys teenagers one of them had realise that something is wrong so he did ask me and made me to tell him how much I hate what I become .He convince me to call my new gp and to speak with her about it .I did .The new gp done blood tests and recomand me to speck to a terrapist .The gp called me to inform me that i am on menopose and that everything that I have suffer for the last two year it was because of it .Happy at last ...I am not a crazy ,I haven't pile kg because I don't exercise 7 out of 7.The gp told me about hrt now I am worry what should I do ? I am worry about cancer .Any advice will be welcome .

Sorry for misspelling but I am East-European .

• Posted

I have started HRT as well, and yes I do smoke it has been the only thing that has kept me sane. I am not even trying to quit cause i dont even care anymore, I am sure this is adding to my anxiety tho

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm 46 and think I am perimenopausal . I've been having hot flushes, just started with night sweats, very bad dry skin, panic attacks, depression, dizziness, nausea, anxiety, low sex drive, irritability, missed periods, erratic periods, bruise easily. The list is endless . I really don't feel myself, feel like I'm going mad.

• Posted

hello lucas

im also 58 and started perimenopause at 49 and went into menopause at 53, i still suffer with several symptoms like you so don't feel alone in this, i know how you are feeling

• Edited

Hi im desparate for some help with the menopause, i have been going through the menopause for 10 years, i am struggling now emotionaly, feel suicidal now 😦

thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.