Menopause

Posted , 15 users are following.

Does anyone have palpitations on a daily basis?  It's driving me crazy 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi shirl115546,

Yep!!! It has been better since I had my period, but around PMS time it feels relentless!!

• Posted

Yes I do! Especially when I lay down and its only for a minute or two. It quite annoying. But I have also read that it can be caused by fluctuating hormone levels. 
  • Posted

Yes. How would you describe your palpitations? 
    • Posted

CASS I didn't have a period oct thru April. The palps weren't that bad, just would have them when it was time for my period. Since I have started my periods again I have episodes of palms maybe 3 times a day. Some last longer than others. My anxiety level has went out the roof as well. Can you describe yours please ?

• Posted

A year ago I was diagnosed with Afib. I have had 2 heart ablations since. My heart is in rhythm now, but I am still noticing the flutters. The best way to describe it is like my heart is doing a flip flop. It is not constant, but I notice it throughout the day and at night when I lay down. I have had menopause symptoms since 2009 and a total hysterectomy in 2011. I am still battling every symptom on the list and then some. The internal and external shaking or vibrating has been so very bad, which in turn only heightens the anxiety. It is a vicious cycle. I am praying that what I am feeling is just hormonal and not Afib related. This has really been a journey one I pray will end soon. Take care 🙏🏻

• Posted

Yes!!!!! My story went through peri hell for ten years

Went 13 months no period thought I was in full menopause 

Had half my thyroid out last week due to suspicious nodule of which I'm still waiting in results 

Day after surgery got a heavy period!!!

Have had palpitations all week

Two ecg both fine

Apparently the stress of operation brought on a period

So now I'm having to wait and see for six weeks if I need thyroid meds and dealing with a really heavy period

But in short I suffered them throughout peri and now they are back with a vengeance 

You will get great support from the ladies here they are amazing 

Hope they ease up for you soon x

• Posted

Just to add acid reflux can give you palpitations which is common in peri and meno
    • Posted

Hi Michelle I too am suffering which i think is acid reflux! I have changed my diet i am still trying to figure out what is bad for me. What i am experiencing now is bad throat ache of and on. I am trying to figure it out. Its either acid reflux or post nasal drip because my allergies have also gone crazy. I just started with heart palpations about 3 weeks ago sad . Its very sad and scary i dont mention to my family my new symptoms cause i think they are tired of me complaining sad
  • Edited

Can you believe I was about to ask this question? Yes I've been having them daily but what I've noticed it's very light during the week of my period. The closer my period gets it lightens up and the week of its practically none. My period just left and now palpis are back. The palpitations are usually worse during the morning upon wakening. Uggg! I can't stand it. Michelle mentioned that acid reflux can cause palpis, in which I agree that could be a factor also. During my period all of my symptons usually disappear including acid reflux, anxiety, naseau, stomach issue, etc. and once period ends, BAM symptons are back!

I know eventually my period has to stop, I pray it doesn't leave me with these symptons..

• Posted

Hi i am 46 yrs old and have had many symptoms due to i think menopause. Two weeks ago i experienced the heart palpitations sad . The weird thing is its when i am laying down at night. Unless i am getting them throwout the day and i just dont feel them. Its a scary feeling sad I am thankful for these discussions i read here cause i was ready when i got the heart palpitations i remember reading about them here. Its so scary sad . I didnt want to mention it to my family because they already think i am making all my symptons up. January 2016 was the start of my menopause it was night and day. Starting in January 2016 till now i have seen so many doctors for different reasons sad
  • Edited

I tried posting before but being moderated, don't know why really.

I was going to ask this same question . I've been having the heart palpitations daily. I'm noticing with me it seem to be worse when my period leaves. The week before and during my period the palpis are very light or practically non-existence. They are usually at its worse during mornings awakening. Ugggh! I can't stand it! I just had a period and as soon as it left, BAM palpis came back along with the rest of the symptons, anxiety, bloating, back hurting, naseau, stomach issue, acid reflux, etc

Michelle mentioned that acid reflux can give you palpis it is common with peri. May i add that my acid reflux was gone while period was on then appeared again with palpis. The period now seem to be my relief but i know eventually the period has to stop , I pray it won't leave me with all these symptons..😔

• Posted

Not on daily basis but yes.

​I was having palpitations in my early twenties and this scared the life out of me. Had a scan and the doctor said it was due to me being very flexible and my valve was reflecting this and not shutting properly or something like that. Said half of the lady gymnasts have it. Funny thing is, I think mine was also in my head a little bit and I used to make them worse by panicing - as soon as he said that, I started getting them a lot less often.

​I am now 45 and have been getting them recently in the days before my period. I think exercise helps as since I started running, I hardly get them apart from those few days  before.

• Edited

Yes I get them almost daily. The only time I don't is when I'm on my period. When it leaves the palpis are back along with the other symptons. It's usually at its worse during mornings awakening. My period somehow brings relief to me, my symptons lessen or some of them practically disappears.

• Edited

Hi

Oh I can relate I was on vacation when they were coming everyday so I used Epsom salts two cups worth and sat in the tub for a half hour and they were gone once I started to do that then I ordered chelated magnesium so it didn't bother my stomach and I get them occasionally but nothing like I was I also didn't want to give up caffeine or sugar the sugar part I have in moderation and caffeine for the most part! I used to be a nurse and my gp and I discussed how we weren't taught much about perimenopause he totally agreed he has done blood work which has come back normal but he said I'm perimenopausal because of my symptoms thank god he isn't like some Drs lol! I worked with him when I did hospice so I knew he was open minded and not textbook! Taking magnesium has helped me Idk if it would help you but you could try and see what happens omg it's so annoying and scary it then brings on anxiety for me as well cause I think I'm dying ughhhh this rollercoaster isn't fun at all 

• Posted

Hi there. Interesting reply and the mention of magnesium.

I've read about this and apparently women going through peri/menopause can sometimes lack this..

I'm new to this and started having symptoms few months ago. Am now getting hot flushes but not sweating..also get palpitations and metal taste in mouth, vertigo and a funny head.

Had a bad episode last night in bed which woke me up. Stomach felt warm which radiated to chest and neck and heart palpitations...also felt a really strange sensation in my head like I was going to black out or something horrible was going to happen. Never felt this before so terrified me.

These symptoms are worse than a panic/anxiety attack.

Do you have any experience of this?

Thanks x

• Edited

Hi - 

I know this exact feeling you are talking about. I have these episodes too. I usually get lightheaded and a little nauseous (sometimes kind of clammy-feeling), then it escalates and I feel like I am going to black out. Heart is racing, and crazy sense of "disconnectedness". I have called 911 twice for this. Both times afterwords I am cold, sometimes even shivering. It's awful. Both times the paramedics did an ekg which was normal. For the rest of the day I feel drained and shaky. I have been diagnosed with an atrial tachycardia (by a cardiologist), but I really feel like these episdodes are not entirely related to that. I started having them a couple years ago. On paper, it sounds like a panic attack, but they really just strike out of nowhere. Additonally I have heart palpations quite frequently and feel lightheaded a lot of the time. My throat is often tight as well (sometimes my voice even sounds strained). I've had all the bloodwork done which doesn't really show anything that would explain. I do have fluctuating estrogen, but I guess that is normal. Saw an endocrinoligist who doesn't think it is thyroid-related. Who knows. I guess it's "just" perimenopause, but it is kind of making my life hell. 

So sorry you are dealing with this type of thing also. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.