Menopause and BP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies, Happy new year to all of us. 

I'm so worried with my blood pressure going up and down daily, some days it's normal, and other days it can go quite high especially in the evenings, last three days that I have to go hospital, as  it gives me bad headache. 

I am taking losartan 50mg, since my  BP started to spike with my meno symptoms since March, this month is worse and I've also missed my first period. I also feel stress and anxiety, weepy, mood swings. 

Went to my doctor today as I'm worried it's a heart problem, he listen to my heart and he said nothing wrong... But I don't feel reassured..he gave me a higher dose of BP meds. 50mg morning and 25mg evening. 

It's so worrying to go back and forth to doctors. It's like my life now is taken over with this perimenopause. 

Any ladies having this kiind of problems. 

Kadija

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kadija, yes I have been where you are. I too am on BP meds, but I have learned to not focus on my bp. I only take it occasionally instead of at various times of day. Since then it has actually gotten to normal range with my meds. When you are stressed it will rise. I was scared of heart issues too...last June I had gallbladder out- another thing that bothers some of us at this stage of life. Had to have pre op ekg which was fine but I was still sure I wouldn't make it out of surgery alive...but I did.

This year almost to the day palps started up again n off I ran to doc. He did another ekg to reassure me n sure enough he said my heart was fine. He did ask about what else was going on because he was sure it was a combo of hormonal changes n anxiety.

Then it eventually stopped. I have been having them off n on this week...hormones n holidays, still makes me worry but I talk myself off the ledge. Sometimes they come with a separate twinge in middle of breastbone but that is probably from eating crap...it goes away w prilosec.

Wish we were all in same room to talk n give reassuring hugs...

• Posted

Hi Katy - Would you mind saying what B/P RX’s you are taking? The reason I am asking is that I have been battling my BP for the last 5 yrs, was put on 2 RX’s suffered horribly for the last 4 years thinking it was ALL menopause, only to find out a lot of my symptoms were caused by one of the toxic B/P RX’s - just so you know, indigestion/GERD can be a symptom of menopause, but is often a side effect of B/P RX’s so keep a watch on that - 
    • Posted

Wowwww the symptoms just keep coming! I think I've had three fourths of the ones on the list of 66!

I take Toprol XL for bp...100mgs once a day, along w indapamide (?) Which is a diuretic that I used to take only week before period when my ankles would swell. Now I notice I feel more tummy symptoms and palps right before it's time (or around when I would be expecting) a flow. But I never know what to expect anymore! I might flow or not but still have the symptoms or I might flow 1 or 2 days then nothing for 2 months. Ugh!

• Posted

Hey Katy - I know it’s so much fun isn’t it?  Just take it from me, keep an eye on your symptoms, cuz some are obviously menopause related, but some Symptoms can be caused by b/p RX’s, it’s very confusing because if you look at the side effects of the drugs, they almost sound like menopause symptoms.  I am happy to hear you are not on the evil drug I was on - 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.