Menopause and paresthesia?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I would love some input on my strange symptoms. 

I'm 50 years old. For many years, my periods have been very close together, very long, and with 2-3 days of exceptionally heavy flow. I know this weird period stuff is normal in peri menopause. Then, after one of these "normal" (for me!) periods in April, I didn't have one for 60 days - and when I did it again, for the first time in years I didn't have the heavy days. That was over 60 days ago and so far I haven't had another one since.

My FSH level in a blood test two weeks ago was very high - 117.

I tell you all this just as a little background - I already know I'm obvioulsy in peri menopause and nearing actual menopause. 

But here's the reason I'm posting. Starting mid-May, all of a sudden I started having very consistent paresthesia in my feet and legs - a mixture of tingling, pins and needles, slight burning, static sensation outside skin, pricking... no numbness. It has been with me every single day since then - 3 months now. It's worse at some times than others, but always present to some degree (and usually very annoying and concerning). It is definitely in BOTH legs and feet. 

I'm slightly low in B12 and hoped that was the cause - however, after 10 B12 shots over 5 weeks, I have no improvement. I've had various other blood tests, all normal. I had an MRI of my spine (all 3 sections) yesterday and it showed nothing. No MS lesions, no transverse myelitis lesions, no compression/stenosis, no disc problems, no tumors. Now I need to get a brain MRI and of course I'm concerned this one could show MS. However, doctors have told me - and my research confirms this - it would be most unusal for MS to present with paresthesia equally on BOTH sides, stay around consistently for so long without going away even briefly, etc... And I have zero other MS sypmtoms.

So assuming (hopefully!) that's NOT what it is, then it's becoming a real mystery. I've done some reading that suggests these weird tingling sensations CAN be caused by menopause - due to extreme hormone imbalance. Also, my hormones could have been out of whack for a long time what with all my irregular periods, AND about 12 years ago I had my hormone levels checked and supposedly at that time I had the estrogen level of "a post-menopausal woman." At the time my doc said that was a little odd, but ok, no cause for concern. Anyway, I say all this as a way to say perhaps I've been a little bit of a unique case as far as my hormones.

Does anyone think these symptoms COULD actually be attributed to menopause? Or has anyone had something similar happen to them? I've asked my doctor a couple times and she immediately says no, menopause couldn't cause this. I realize it's not typical, but is it possible? So far I have no hot flashes or night sweats, thank heavens, but maybe this is my own personal type of menopause hell?! 

Any insight would be so very much appreciated. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but it DOES seem an interesting coincidence that all these issues have come up right as I'm going through this different timing in my periods, obvious continued hormone changes, etc... 

Thanks in advance for any help people might be able to offer.

I think I'm going insane. If this could be blamed on menopause, I would be SO relieved and could deal with it!!!

12 likes, 501 replies

501 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been dealing with paresthesia that comes and goes (on for several months and then off for several months) since 2015 and it’s driving me crazy! Have had every test under the sun.....all negative. It is SUCH a relief that someone else has this going on as well!!!!
    • Posted

I went through menopause 4 years ago(my periods stopped 4 yrs ago) All was fine apart from the occasional hot flushes until about 6 months ago. It started with muscle spasms in my left thigh which then progressed to numbness in my right calf, then left leg. Went to the dr who thought it was a pinched nerve and he prescribed anti inflammatory tablets which made no difference. Then I started getting prickling sensations in my arms and around my body. I had full blood tests done and nothing showed up. The next thing that happened which was really scary was that I woke up with my whole body burning and prickling all over. It eventually subsided I went back to bed and a few hours later it happened again. So the next day I went to the dr and he told me I was displaying symptoms of MS. I had an Mri on my brain and again, nothing showed up, in fact I had a healthy brain. Meanwhile the burning prickling sensations continued . I suggested to my dr that maybe it wss hormonal after doing some research online including this forum. So he prescribed HRT for me to try. The 1st thing I noticed was that within a week I was not waking up with the all over burning and prickling. Then gradually over 3 to 4 weeks the prickling

, burning and muscle spasms disappeared. So yes it was hormonal. The Hrt has been a life saver. Not only have all these symptoms disappeared but I feel like a new woman. I have more energy, less anxiety and sleep reallywell and no hot flushes.

• Posted

Hi

I would like to know more about ypur sensations

I got the menopause

And i have paresthesis all the year

I cannot use pants anymore

I feel like i have an insect inside me

Nobody discover what i Have

Just me looking for internet. I am suffering to much to feel my skin iching me, burning, all the time.  I had hormonal purpure also. I went in too mant doctors here in brazil and nobody knows that is because of the menopause. I made all exams and the only think i discovered it was my menopause. I took off my utero and i didnt know i got a menopause. I am 48 years old. If you want to share your experience please let me know. Tks  marcia rachel

• Posted

Hi Marcia

I'm 55 and living in Australia.

My symptoms were

1. muscle spasms

2. Tingling around my mouth and tongue

3. Numbness in my legs and feet

4. Prickling sensations around my body

5. Burning sensations as if I were sunburnt

My sister was the one who, after researching on the internet told me that she believed it was hormonal. By dr as most doctors had no idea it might be hormonal because these are not the typical signs of menopause. But google paresthesia and lack of estrogen and you will see a lot of information about it. So my doctor prescribed HRT(hormone replacement therapy) as an experiment and it worked. At first I thought it would not work but within 3 to 4 weeks( it takes about a month to be fully in your system) the symptoms had pretty much disappeared and so I'm continuing to take it and feel fantastic. Maybe that's something you can try as long as you don't have any issues with your breasts eg family history of breast cancer. Otherwise its perfectly safe to use and it certainly improves quality of life.

• Posted

hi.

i started the HRT about 5 months. but the paresthesy contnues hurt me. sonetines i feel better, and when I think that I became better started again to burn, to itch, to make me feel so upset. i cannot believe any doctors know abput this. i read that the patesthesis is the second important signal when A woman get a menopause. i need a medicine to make me feel better because is impossible to live like this. i cannot use pants. i want to try canabidiol, to see if it takes off this pain. but i will continues with the RHT. tks

• Posted

Hi again. I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering. The paresthesia is terrible I know and it makes you miserable. You know there are many different types of HRT and some are higher doses than others. Maybe go back to your dr and ask to try a different one which is stronger.I'm taking Premia 2.5 continues at the moment which has .625mg of estrogen and 2.5 mg of progesterone because I have a womb. One of my colleagues advised me when I first went on it that if it didn't work to go to back to my dr to try a different one but luckily for me it has so far stopped these symptoms and I've been on it since mid August. I have to change in a couple of months because premia 2.5 has been discontinued. Hopefully whatever my dr puts me on will continue to help me. Keep trying.

• Posted

Hi again. I started with a HRT is a gel. Strevia gel. But i needed to change because this discontinued also. Then since one and a half month ago i am using sandrena gel 1,0 mg... 

for me is only esthrogen because i took off my utero. 

Your HRT is a gel or a drug to drink? Sorry about my english. 

And really tks for your responses to me. 

If i tell you what happen in my skin legs before appears the patesthesis... you cannot believe. Purpures in all mt legs start to appears. Any dermatlogist discover it was because a menopause. I used cortsone to take off this purpures... and than started the paresthesis and stll continued to hurts me a lot. The purpures disapeared when i started the HRT...

Ok ... i need to continue... 

regards

• Posted

It sounds like you have other problems with the skin on your legs but at least the hrt helped you with that.

I'm taking a tablet every morning. It is combined estrogen and progesterone which I need because I have a uterus.

Yes, you can only have the pure estrogen because you don't have a uterus. Apparently pure estrogen is better and safer than the combined hrt that I'm taking. Sandrena 1.0 is a medium dose hrt like what I'm taking. You know that you can get higher doses. I researched it. In Australia there is Climara 75 and 100 and Estradot 75 and 100- all estrogen patches. I don't know what they have in your country. Perhaps discuss with your dr and see what they think. Good luck. I hope you find something that will help you.

• Posted

Molly,  did you ever end up finding relief?  I am going through something very similar and looking for what has helped others.  
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,   I’m going through the same thing!!!! It started a year and half ago.  Both of my feet have pins and needles.  Now my hands get the same feeling but mostly at night when I’m asleep.  I had some  stabbing pain in my thighs.. I am 42 yrs old.  I been trying to get pregnant and started to use hormones for fertlity issues.   Soon after I started taking these meds they shut my ovaries down and it put me into menapause.  I didn’t get a period for a few months. It finally came back.    I have done  all blood work... mri of spine.  Nerve test. Seen 2 neurologist.  They thought it was restless leg syndrome

But that’s an idothpathic answer..  as I’m searching I’m seeing it may very well be because of my hormones fluctuating so much that this might be the actually cause.   I’m over all healthy. Only thing I have is high cholesterol ( I believe the hormones raised it a bit more )   Everything else feels fine.  I function  normally. I go to the gym I’m always running around ( Mom

Of a 5 yr old).   This has been driving me crazy for the past year it put me in a depression because we just can’t figure it out.   I’m wondering if it is all

Hormon related. Peri menapause/ menapausal. 

• Posted

It sounds like its hormonal especially seeing that you've had all the tests done to rule out any serious illness . These paresthesia symptoms are awful and scary and can really affect your quality of life. I'm 55 so a bit older than you and have already gone through menopause . Luckily for me, when I suggested to my dr that it might be hormonal (after having Mri, blood tests etc) he thought it was an interesting theory as he had no idea what the cause was and put me on Hrt. It took about a month or so and all the prickling, burning, tingling, numbness and constant muscle spasms have gone. So Ive been on HRT for 6 months and I feel great. Maybe you can investigate the hormone theory too. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  I will be starting a low dose estrogen patch to see if it helps.  I will keep u guys posted ! 

Good luck to everyone 

• Posted

Hi Jane

Good luck with the estrogen patch. Hopefully you should start noticing an improvement although it's early days. They say it takes about 3 months for hrt to be fully in your system. For me, I noticed that upto the 4-5month timeframe I was getting some prickling (on 3 or 4 occasions)it never lasted long though and it was mild. Between 5-7 months no prickling and no burning and numbness. And the other BIG plus, no more hot flushes. Yes keep us posted. So far its worked for me, thank goodness. I couldn't bear putting up with all those horrible symptoms I had before including my energy being zapped to the point where I struggled to get through a day at work.

• Posted

Wow guys .im blown away and somewhat relieved to a degree to find this discussion this morn.mine all started 18months ago and it doing my head in .when im moving about i dont notice it but going to bed wham .both legs feet .tingly prickly cold flashes anywhere on body like pops of cold wee spots for 3 or 4 seconds under skin. .it started with weird sensation above right knee that .progressed into deep ache on thigh then a few blisters dr said after 8 weeks shingles without rash. Then about 8 weeks later he said post herpetic neuralgia from shingles .but its both legs now tingly esp around knees .back of thighs .feet .prickly burney .ive had no periods now for 6 years but do get hot flushes on n off.i57.i lost my amazing husband of 35 years to cancer last year after a long 12 year battle esp in last 7 years .also my wee grandson .motherinlaw and supportive cousin .all in 4 months last year .i feel im going nuts with these sensations
    • Posted

Sorry i also feel these burny prickly sensations in arms and around right side of chin.the right side feels a bit more affected than left .not sure if this from supposed shingles being on right to start with

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.