Menopause and paresthesia?

Posted , 157 users are following.

I would love some input on my strange symptoms. 

I'm 50 years old. For many years, my periods have been very close together, very long, and with 2-3 days of exceptionally heavy flow. I know this weird period stuff is normal in peri menopause. Then, after one of these "normal" (for me!) periods in April, I didn't have one for 60 days - and when I did it again, for the first time in years I didn't have the heavy days. That was over 60 days ago and so far I haven't had another one since.

My FSH level in a blood test two weeks ago was very high - 117.

I tell you all this just as a little background - I already know I'm obvioulsy in peri menopause and nearing actual menopause. 

But here's the reason I'm posting. Starting mid-May, all of a sudden I started having very consistent paresthesia in my feet and legs - a mixture of tingling, pins and needles, slight burning, static sensation outside skin, pricking... no numbness. It has been with me every single day since then - 3 months now. It's worse at some times than others, but always present to some degree (and usually very annoying and concerning). It is definitely in BOTH legs and feet. 

I'm slightly low in B12 and hoped that was the cause - however, after 10 B12 shots over 5 weeks, I have no improvement. I've had various other blood tests, all normal. I had an MRI of my spine (all 3 sections) yesterday and it showed nothing. No MS lesions, no transverse myelitis lesions, no compression/stenosis, no disc problems, no tumors. Now I need to get a brain MRI and of course I'm concerned this one could show MS. However, doctors have told me - and my research confirms this - it would be most unusal for MS to present with paresthesia equally on BOTH sides, stay around consistently for so long without going away even briefly, etc... And I have zero other MS sypmtoms.

So assuming (hopefully!) that's NOT what it is, then it's becoming a real mystery. I've done some reading that suggests these weird tingling sensations CAN be caused by menopause - due to extreme hormone imbalance. Also, my hormones could have been out of whack for a long time what with all my irregular periods, AND about 12 years ago I had my hormone levels checked and supposedly at that time I had the estrogen level of "a post-menopausal woman." At the time my doc said that was a little odd, but ok, no cause for concern. Anyway, I say all this as a way to say perhaps I've been a little bit of a unique case as far as my hormones.

Does anyone think these symptoms COULD actually be attributed to menopause? Or has anyone had something similar happen to them? I've asked my doctor a couple times and she immediately says no, menopause couldn't cause this. I realize it's not typical, but is it possible? So far I have no hot flashes or night sweats, thank heavens, but maybe this is my own personal type of menopause hell?! 

Any insight would be so very much appreciated. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, but it DOES seem an interesting coincidence that all these issues have come up right as I'm going through this different timing in my periods, obvious continued hormone changes, etc... 

Thanks in advance for any help people might be able to offer.

I think I'm going insane. If this could be blamed on menopause, I would be SO relieved and could deal with it!!!

12 likes, 501 replies

501 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wow! I am so glad I found this posting - I am post menopausal 6 years & 61, & although I have been plagued with tingling in my hands and feet and weird sensations in my face, nothing prepared me for the full on burning/tingling/sometimes achy discomfort that I have experienced this week.  Totally freaked me out.  It is generally in the ront of my calves and the tops of my feet, but I felt it move a little to my thighs, but  not so much. Also, backs of my hands too.  My menopause symptoms have really ramped up this past year & all I can equate it to is that I had been caregiving my parents for so long, they passed about a year ago and the stress took its toll on me & my lack of hormones.  I have been so anti RX’s, because I am so sensitive 

to drugs, but this last week with the horrible parentheses & my fog brain, and flushing and crippling exhaustion....I just give up! I live with my husband and one of my sons & they have only known me to be a “worker bee” & now they just think I am a lazy, hypochondriac cow (my words, not theirs) thanks for reassuring me it’s these friggin hormones or lack thereof.

• Posted

Hi debra .so good to hear from you.ive been so freaked out by it too.i agree that stress has certainly triggered it .i looked after both my parents and husband which id do again in a heartbeat but ladt year was a nightmare and we are still copping crap.anyway you hang in there im so stomed i found this site .
    • Posted

Hi Shona - I am printing these postings & bringing  them to my FEMALE dr who thinks I am crazy when I complain about my symptoms.  My dr has not yet entered menopause, but she will probably be like most woman I know, skate right thru it - I don’t get why some woman suffer so much with it & others don’t.  My best friend is dating, living life & I am on the couch & can barely move & the thought of doing anything overwhelms me...ugh! I think I need to be on BHRT!

• Posted

Hi Debra, I have the tingling in both of feet and can travel to the top of my feet.  And when I cross my legs a certain way I get the burning in my heels.mmy hands get the pins and needles mostly when I’m asleep so I don’t get good sleep.   I also was getting sharp pain in my thighs.  

I’m only 42 and I’m going through this but I believe it had to do with all the meds I took from the infertility that my hormones were all out of range and I’m going through early menopause. In the past year and a half I have been depressed,I panic,  and  I am just not myself.   I am on  a estrogen patch now so we shall see how it works out.. 

all the doctors I have seen they have said hormones play a role. But they never treated it because they just weren’t to sure. Good luck to all of us. Hopefully we can help each other out and figure this all out.  

• Posted

Hi let me know how it goes at your dr.im lying on my bed my hands are durny tingly as are my legs today ..im so over it all .like you i want to feel normal like my friends .i look at women just going about their daily lives and constantly just think i want to feel like them again i cant see past this ever going away
    • Posted

Ps .where are you based ..im in NZ
    • Posted

Hi Shona - I don’t have my physical until late May & frankly, I am tired of spending $ on all the dr bills I have acquired since beginning this journey.  It’s crazy what I have been thru.  I just read this menopause blog that states if you are still suffering after 3 years from your last period you should seek medical attention because there is probably something else wrong with you....OK, that rev’d up my anxiety BIG TIME!  I stopped 6 years ago!!! So now I have diagnosed myself with horrific vascular diseases!!!! Ugh!  I felt a little reprieve yesterday from the sensation/burning, but now have it in my hands & tops of my feet again - head flushing a bit better - I am located in Santa Barbara, California - my son was in New Zealand & loved it!!!  

• Posted

Like you i also bekieve im full of all kinds of diseases.i know it really gets you down.im pleased your son loved NZ.it is a pretty special place..im ti gly today and backs of hands
    • Posted

But its kinda nice to know im not alone in this
    • Posted

Hi everybody

After suffering a year with paresthesia, I discovered in google the natural progesterone . Doctor John lee started a hormonal replacement with this natural progesterone and this is the most important hormone ee need in our body, even we dont have utero. I stopped every of the sintetic hormonal, i found a doctor that he follows this kind of treatment and now I started day by day to get better. But I need to wait for 3 months at least to resolve completely mt pain. So, I wanted to share with you. You can find this hormonal replacement progesterone natural and read more things about Doctor John Lee. Regards marcia

• Posted

Hi Debra,

I'm in perimenapause I also have this burning in my shoulders and behind my legs below my butt, before this had fatigue, dizzy nacious, now this,what are you taking for this.

• Posted

Nothing its just so hard but ive started on executive B stress and im about to try B12..i walk everyday and move around a lot im interested to see if the sensations change as the weather cools down .its awful isnt it.such a mentaly tireing thing to have .ive just been for a massage as well which always helps for a few hours
  • Posted

Hi molly I just read your message I too have same symptoms although I am 57 and this has come on for few months feel very weak also been suffering depression  had MRI neck showed osteoarthritis possibly occipital neuralgia.  Ct scan head last summer clear so mystery too  hope you get some answers xxx

• Posted

I have had pins and needles hands arms legs feet and sometimes face since early Jan.. thinking it’s Menopause as when Oestrogen drops it creates havoc with your nervous system.. I am going to see someone to get prescription for Bio Ident Hormones
    • Posted

Yes I do.. I think it’s a mix of hot flushes and pins and needles ..,the nerve endings are inflamed giving off a weird sensation.. prickly.. crawling.. sunburnt or just hot
    • Posted

I’ve had this since early January this year.. It hasn’t been easy coping with it but any stretch of the imagination.. I’ve rested a lot started taking high dose magnesium  b complex..?epsom salt baths.. massage and accupuncture and it is not as full on butvstillnthere.. I’ve deciders to have a look at Bio Identical Hormones as don’t want to take HRT.. How about you .. what length of time and severity 
    • Posted

Hi Rebeca 

I am suffering for one year

It is makes me crazy

Is like i have a eneny inside me 

Needles burning stinging me all the time

Instead of this, i really cannot use any pants. Now i feel the same in my arms, hands

This is insane. Nobody can resolv the situation. I tried everything. Acupuntire, magnesio, vit B, vit D, hormonal replacement. Nothing change

Now I found a doctor that told me I need progesterone natural, despite he didnt see any case like that.

I am really sure the cause is the menopause. But why I cannot find a solution? This is unbelievable.  

Thats why i entered here to find another case like me.

I cannot believe that no exist in this world any doctor knows how we can getting bettwr

Because live with this pain is impossible

I am suffering to much

One year and nothing makes me feel better, not yet

• Posted

If you google Tingly arms and legs - menopause you will see it is a symptom.. I’m going to go on Bio Identical Hormones to try get rid of it.. They say when our hormones drop it plays havoc with our nervous system
    • Posted

Hi there - in addition to the tingling/burning/pins & needles in your extremities - do any of you also feel like your brain is half there? I get flushing/hot flashes & everything else, but this feeling of my “clouded” head is really too much to handle at times.  I have tried everything like acupuncture, Reflexology, massage, vitamins etc. I think I really have to investigate Bio identical also - 

• Posted

Yep same.. get all of that too.. can’t think straight.. loss of memory.. forget words.. hot sweats and flushes that start at my lower back then go over my head then down my front randomly.. all menopause crap
    • Posted

My burning sensation started 2 weeks ago, had fatigue dizzy flu lije symtom but this burning drives me crazy also my ankles and muscles behind my legs hurt,
    • Posted

Yep I’m the same .. just spoke to a doctor about it and he said it’s high oestrogen and low progesterone causing it.. I’m going for blood tests so that they can put me on Bio Identicals
    • Posted

Yes, my tendons in my feet & legs are really bothering me - sore to the touch...also, had some zapping in the back of my calves the other night - it’s no wonder women used to end up in the funny farm...it’s enough to make a sane person whacky!!! All I keep thinking about is how did my poor Mom cope? 

• Posted

Hi Rebeca

This is true

The progrsterone in menopause get in zero

And the strogen became high if you compare to your body not produce more progesterone

Dr john lee defend the position: iscthe orogesterone natural the most importante replacement for our body

The progesteron comand the others hormonal we need

Thats why only this could control our hormonal balance

Look in google what he defends

I started this bioidentical and doctor promise me i will get better but i need to wait for 4 month at least

I will let you know

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline, I am perimenapause most Likely close to menopause with my hormone levels only 42.   I been taking blood work for 2 years due to infertility. I noticed that my progesterone is always low n my estrogen fluctuates but on the low side.   But since my

Progesterone has been low I have had these pins and needles constant in my feet and hands. Sharp pain in thighs... 

I’m   Starting to think  it has to do with

Hormones fluctuating so much.. of course no dr has mentioned that progesterone will do this I will have to see if I can use progesterone natural hopefully it will work... I am reading the book from

Dr Lee very interesting.  

• Posted

I’m definately not anxious or under stress.. had hormones checked and I am definately in Peri and need to up my progesterone and try to balance out my Oestrogen that is dominating me
    • Posted

I have been suffering from all these horrible neurological symptoms for 18 months now. I am definitely peri, confirmed by test, but as I don't suffer from any of the common symptoms, hot flushes, night sweats, anger bursts etc... I just struggled to believe it was related.

I had blood tests, head MRI, all normal, so agree to start on hrt. Now on week 6 and not yet seeing much of a difference, and it actually got worse at times. However, I've read that although these symptoms are linked to the menopause, it's not the hormone that is directly causing it, but the anxiety that is caused by the imbalance. I too didn't agree that I was anxious. I'me not an anxious person by nature and known for my resilience BUT... I have noticed that I am becoming more and and more of a worrier. I used to think it was just a case of being in control, planning ahead, but the truth is that it  has taken over my life. I am constantly thinking, analysing...and worrying and I think this is linked to the peri, and aggravated by lack of good (deep) sleep. 

I have noticed that when I do something to try to relax (walk on the beach, deep breathing), the parenthesis gets better, and indeed, I always feel better after a relaxing holiday. 

I am now really hoping that the hrt will kick in to work on this anxiety/hyper mental activity so that I can sleep better and stop overthinking everything. I expect the parasthesia will then recede to. At least that's what I hope!

• Posted

It takes a while for the hrt to be fully in your system. The research online says 3 months and for me its taken about5 to 6 months.

I am post menopause. I had the burning , prickling, numbness, spasms back in July, August last year. It was awful. On top of that I had anxiety which can be related to menopause and that often affected my sleep. Like you I had blood tests and head Mri to rule out MS. My dr thought it might be anxiety and gave me valium which didn't help. He gave me a B12 shot which made no difference. I suggested to him it might be hormonal. So he gave me a prescription of hrt and for me the improvement has been amazing. All the paresthesia symptoms are gone, my anxiety has greatly reduced and I sleep really well at night. Also I'm thinking more clearly, I feel calmer, more energy and of course no hot flushes. It's amazing stuff. Good luck with it.

• Posted

it was interesting to read this and I found this article that may help some of you.  This is the route I am planning to take to get me through..

Hormonal treatment of perimenopausal women has frequently utilized oral contraceptive pills (OCPs). Because of their ability to suppress ovulation and establish cycle control, OCPs have become a popular option, and one that is FDA approved for use until menopause. However, use of OCPs in women in their 40's and 50's carries significant cardiovascular risks. Venous thromboembolism risk is 3-6 fold greater in OCP users, and the risk of myocardial infarction (MI) is approximately doubled in OCP users over the age of 40. This occurs at an age where the background population risk of MI begins to increase, such that the absolute number of cases rises substantially. Women with additional risk factors for cardiovascular disease have a much greater risk for MI (6-40-fold) in association with OCPs. There are also large subgroups of midlife women who are not candidates for OCP use, such a smokers and migraineurs. Moreover, the trend towards lower estrogen dosing with OCPs containing 20 micrograms of ethinyl estradiol has not led to a detectable decrease in thromboembolic risk.

Because of their increased potential risks, it is appropriate to seek alternatives to OCPs and to explore lower doses of hormones to relieve perimenopausal symptoms that occur prior to a woman's final menses. Recent evidence indicates that the hypothalamic-pituitary axis of reproductively aging women is more susceptible to suppression by sex steroids that previously believed. It is possible that hormone doses as low as 50 micrograms of transdermal estradiol (TDE) can suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary axis of midlife women. It is also tempting to speculate that the low but measurable circulating doses of levonorgestrel that are present when a woman uses the Mirena intrauterine system (IUS) can contribute to or even independently suppress the hypothalamic-pituitary axis, and reduce the hormonal fluctuations that result in worsening of perimenopausal symptoms. The combination of low dose TDE plus Mirena may therefore confer superior symptom control as well as contraceptive effectiveness, at far less risk.

• Posted

Hi jannap,

Did you also have burning sensation around body, fatigue, dizzy, nacious aches pains, I'm in perimenapause I feel horrible somedays,can you please tell me what was going on with you when you were going through perimenapause. 

• Posted

I have fatigue.. always worried I’m sick, headaches sweats dizzy

Memory issues which are bad

Muscle and joint pain.. now struggle to exercise without getting extremely sore plus those dreaded pins and needles..

Oh and irritable 😀

• Posted

Do You mean chronic fatigue or just fatigue in general..

If so not chronic.. just part of Peri

Plus I am b12 deficient as well

• Posted

Hi everybody

I want you to know that I start acid folic and i am in the thrd day of the third month with the progesterone natural booidebtical and i am getting better.. not completelly

So i want you to know to try this hormonal replacement

Even you dont have utero

Look what Dr John lee said abiur this

• Posted

Hi, I’m going thru perimenapause now. 

I did feel fatigue and had joint pain. But that has gotten better. I was depressed  and had anxiety . The anxiety then triggered other things.  

Burning sensation mostly in the heels of my feet sometimes in my calves. Pins and needles bottom

And top of my feet.   Pins and needles in my hands.   I really had no idea what was going on with me.. my doc thought I was crazy.  But now it all makes sense.  

I have both estrogen n progesterone that are low.  

• Posted

How long have you been on perimenapause, and for how long did your symptoms last,this is driving me crazy 
    • Posted

You are not crazy. The doctor who says this, doesnt know about the problems of inbalance hormonal

Please you dont have the progesterone

Try to look about progesterone bioidenthical natural

Look in google all the benefits you will receive

And look for Dr John Lee

And you can receive an answers 

I hope you get better

I feel this paresthesis about one year and this is drove me crazy

Not my head

I am looking for an year to discover by my self the solution

I went in to many doctors and nobody knows nothing about this

And I found everything in google by my self especially about Dr John lee

• Posted

Hi Marcia, ever since  you mentioned the book

dr John lee wrote I been reading it ! It’s angreat book

And makes so

Much sense ...  I also been searching for answers past year and a half. I hope together we found the solution.. I’m going to

Speak to

My doctor about using progesterone.  

Thank you for the information 

• Posted

I probably been perimenapause a few years about 5 I would say. It started around age 37.. I’m 42 now   

The pins and needles all that other stuff has been past year and a half.  

As I’m reading about the importance of progesterone.  It says it plays s big role in the peripheral nerve myelin sheath.   Another thing I noticed my weight!! I can’t lose a pound no matter what I do!!! This is all progesterone related 

• Posted

Wow so that accounts for the pins and needles!!! Yes I can’t control my weight at the moment either
    • Posted

I had the merina many years ago.. and I did not like how it made me feel at all.. my moods were all over the place.. I was aggressive depressed.. always had negative thoughts and did no good for my periods.. had it removed and all those symptoms went away.. Had other gf with it to.. hadvitcremoved as well.. knew one lady that got suicidal thoughts within a month or so ofvhaving it inserted.. 

• Posted

Hi Ladies, 

I went to

My reproductive endocrinologist this week. She told everything I’m feeling is defiantly signs n symptoms of perì menapause. She said neuropathy very common... 

here is an interesting article 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi Jannap

I am glad to read what you sent about your endocrinolgist

So what she said to you? How this feeligs about neuropatic can go off? I am suffering since march 2017, it almos 14 months and i really lost my hope to became better

I want to know what kind pf medicine she gave to you

Please let me know

Tks a lot

Marcka

• Posted

How i cad read this article that you wrote in your mesaage? Please could you send me in my email: mrachel@terra.com.br

Tks Jannap

• Posted

Hi there Entente - I have struggled with the tingling extremities (hands, feet) & have had burning sensation on the front of my calves.  I have also struggled with the brain fog & horrible anxiety, but this week I had horrible flushing/flashing at night and even if I eat something I get flushing.  This flushing is the worst yet!  I have experienced flushing for about 3 years.   Last night, I was jolted out of bed with intense burning on my back that also radiated to my chest, all the while still burning on my upper back.  Went on Dr Google & decided I needed to go to ER @ 3:00 am! 2 EKG’s & Cat scan of my heart all determined that my heart was fine, but ER dr could not give me a reason for the intense burning (not pain).  He thought maybe it could be shingles related, but I had the Shingles vaccination.  I am home now, but feeling extremely anxious & burning sensation in back & chest is less & feel it a bit more in my arms and hands.  I am post menopausal and have dealt with so many issues, but this is a doozy...has anyone else experienced this intense burning & have you been given an explanation? My b/p is also elevated, but I think that has to do with my elevated anxiety - is this just all anxiety related or the imbalance of hormones? This is just not very fun, I just want to cry - 

• Posted

Hi Debra 

I had that 2 weeks ago I think it's call

Burning sensation cause by anxiety as I'm sitting here I feel it in my arms and nose I'm also perimenapause. 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline - That’s so weird, I forgot to mention my nose, but I also feel it in my nose area - So you think it is all anxiety related?  Do you think the imbalance might be causing the anxiety? Thank you! 
    • Posted

Hi Debra, 

I think so I read about, but my new symptom,now is my jaw and ears teeth bother me on and of I'm not sure what the heck this is it feels like I have something stuck in my ear.

Have you ever had this before. 

• Posted

Hi, That is nice to hear from a Professional that we all arnt going crazy!!! I’m second guessing everything thinking of all these bad things wrong with me.. What did she say you needed to do to balance everything out for the nervous system
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca, I too thought  something  else was going on with me.  I always felt ok. It was the pins and needles in my feet that drove me crazy.., it was constant now it’s a little better.   My anxiety was at its worst along with Feeling depressed and I would have panic attack’s... 

these are all the signs.  

I’m only 42 perimenapause close to menopause so my estrogen is very low.  I just stared a estrogen patch about 3 weeks ago.  We shall see if it helps. 

There are so many articles based on low hormone levels and neuropathy joint pain and anxiety.  I just don’t know how primary doctors still don’t  empahazie on women and hormone fluctuations., our hormones play a big role 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline - I remember I had really bad teeth/jaw issues on my left side about 6 months ago...I didn’t think about it then, but it did radiate up towards my ear...I was away on a little holiday in sort of a remote place & all I could think about was...OMG! I am having a heart attack (jaw pain) & there isn’t a hospital nearby...crazy! But it did subside & I haven’t had it since - 

• Posted

Or they say pins and needles is not common which is rubbish..

I have high Oestrogen and low progesterone and just started Bio Identicals this week so hopefully that will help

• Posted

Hi Rebecca - Oh please keep us posted & let us know if your symptoms improve - thanks! good luck!

• Posted

Hi.. Could you email me this report as would love to see what it says..

Cheers

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Did it take 6 months to be fully rid of symptoms because I have been on it for 7 weeks and don't feel any difference yet.Still pins and needles,sharp stabbing pains in calves and tingles all over different parts of the body.Nausea some days too.

• Posted

Hi, from memory it took 5 months on medium strength hrt(premarin .625plus provera) to be fully rid of paresthesia symptoms. I'm still on it 4 years later and symptoms have not come back and not planning to go off it unless I absolutely have to. I had some nausea earlier on when I 1st went on it. I've read that it takes about 3 months for the estrogen to be fully in your system but for me 5 months for symptoms to go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.