Menopause Burning Mouth Syndrome

Posted , 11 users are following.

& doctors-3 procedures to no avail- thousands ofdollars on visits and exrays and testings thank GOD for Insurance and 9 months later I stillhave this issue in my mouth- finallymet a GYnecologists whoput meon prempro i feelvery goodno hotflashes no moodsnoover allillness and my mouth is liveable- but it is so bizarre- it can burn on lips sometimes roofof mouth  throat and tongue always  i an't wait forthe day this leaves me has anyone else had this happen i also have salivary bitter tatse GYN says Menopause effects the salivary glands!!!   who knew.......living eating icecubes!!!!!  

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Diana

i too have had a burning tongue, throat and ears for the last year, I am now under a ENT, at first they thought it was reflux but none of the tablets work, at the moment they are thinking allergies, but you have my sympathy it is the worst feeling, I gave this everyday, and it does get you down, peri is the worst thing, no wonder we are all going crazy with all these symptoms they are endless xx

• Posted

Hi Sue, YESSSS  i feel for you as well i saw too many doctors and finally just listenned to my heart and friends   its down to a liveable mouth often bad at night and when I sleep it goes to sleep  it can bring you down but keep faith  hang in there  oxoxoxoxox
    • Posted

Yes mine is also worse as the day goes on, but then when I sleep nothing, it is do good to know that is is a symptom and that I'm not on my own with it, I suffer with health anxiety too since the peri started, so was thinking it was something bad, know what you mean about the ice, I gargle lots of ice water, hope we have relief from it soon xx
    • Posted

me two i suffer anxiety and was so desperate to find out what was wrong with me it was awful at first now I do best I can coping and feel better @ day especially with family and support- hope relief for allof us soooooon      smile
    • Posted

HI sue

It's been 5 months since I posted I am wondering how your doing with BMS I'm still hanging in with gels and ice and bland foods. It's a long road.

• Posted

It does get better mine went away but then here comes another back ache leg ache and can't forget about ole faithful anxiety grrrr
    • Posted

I have been suffering with BMS 1 year now. I first thought it was GERD and had every test imaginable. I did my own finding and went to my doctor to confirm that this was what I had. We have tried multiple nerve medication and they all make me drowsy and tired. They have taken my medication away to see if it made a difference and that did nothing. They have checked deficiencies and all okay. I recently went to an ENT and he prescribed a mouthwash with lidocaine antibodies and cortisone and this does help. He tested with bloodwork for allergies but it came back negative but now wants to do testing for mold. He says it can cause. Anybody else have allergies testing done. They even thought maybe it's like a yeast. I feel helpless and very depressed. Sometimes I feel it would be better if I was gone because to live like this is horrible.
  • Posted

Hi diana i know how you feel about burning mouth syndrome I too have had that all the best to you😊xxx
  • Posted

Hi Diana, I also have the burning mouth. Sometimes it is worse others a little better. I just had my hormones checked and the doc said that that I was close to menopause. I have had this symptom for several years now. At first it came and went but for the last year or so it has been here pretty constant. It sucks, but I have learned to live with it....

Hope you feel better soon! xx

• Posted

Hi Topo,

Yes it is not pleasant- sad its very strange and when I tell co workers they cannot or never heard of it to comprehend - i have learned to live with it yes some days are better and now I am able to cope - for me cold water and cold yogurt ice cubes and cereal with milk help alot - apples are also helpful- i have had this for almost a year and I am in menopause - hope we get relief soon ox

• Posted

Hi everyone just seen your posts I'm wondering if I have burning mouth syndrome too mine started weeks ago I thought it was off my new medication I have since had its hanged but I'm still getting the symptoms I also have a sore on the roof of my mouth dentist says nothing to worry about it seems to be worse when my mouth is very dry I feel like my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth and it feels like leather lol I also get a horrible metalic taste this is driving me mad it seems to be there from getting up and worse when I try to get to sleep.also my gums are very tender when I brush them and I'm sure they are reseeding they sometime bleed if I catch my gum   Is this another menopause symptom and how long does it last xx
    • Posted

Hi Glitzy,

I also have had the metallic taste in my mouth from time to time and a very dry mouth so that my tonque sticks to it. My gums are also very tender and have receeded. I have a lot of trouble with my gums lately. As far as I have read this is also part of perimenopause. It is no fun though... xx

• Posted

Hi Glitzy youcan checkwith your GYNItoo started with metallic taste & then burning dry mouth tongue-it doeslighten up and is a part of menopause for me.I wish you luck  Ice cubes help & apples and alot of cold water....oxox
    • Posted

Thanks Diana today it doesn't feel as bad so I hope symptoms are subsiding I will certainly eat more apples and ice cubes thanks for your advice xx
    • Posted

Good Morning 

I to suffer with BMS and my gums also are painful both upper and lower.  I do however grind my teeth with I'm sure could be part of my problem with my gums and jaw.  The reason I do that is because of my BMS and my tonque sticks to the roof of my mouth.  I have had this problem for about 3-4 years now, hard to nail it down exatly because it just creeps up on you.  I have not found anything to help me, when I can't stand it anymore I take a sleeping pill and just go to bed and sleep it off.  At least we are not alone in this and we are not crazy.  Hang in there we have no other choose, I'm sure it will go away.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.