Menopause has ruined me

Posted , 27 users are following.

This is more of a rant so i can feel better but is it just me or has perimenopause/menopause changed and ruined your life? Life as i once knew it will never be the same, i feel like im living in purgatory day after day....leading in to year after year, every month seems to keep getting worse! This horrible journey began for me 6 years ago when i was still in my 30s, i would pray every week that things would get better or after my period went away i would feel a little better...i can say this i havent seen a period in over 200 days and i feel worse! Over the years i have tried antidepressants (made things worse) tried hormones (made things worse) tried eating a little better (didnt notice any difference), tried vitamins with no change, tried probiotic and noticed no difference.....i have even been in counseling for 5 years in case its "all in my head".....nothing has helped me. My days now constist of waking up every morning not wanting to get out of bed, i drag myself to my bathroom to take my bath, i look in the mirror and see a bony sick lady who looks twice her age staring back at me. I try to force myself to eat throughout the day (im lucky if i get 4 bites in me), then for the next 12 hours i fight nausea and lower gut gurgling while the food attempts to digest, i feel tired and so depressed, i cant go any place or else my anxiety explodes, i cant feel happy about anything cause my stomach hurts, my head hurts, i feel lightheaded/dizzy, i have a ringing in my ears, i have lost most of my sense of taste, i have NO sex drive, i have facial twitches that i had never had before in my life, insomnia at times, my skin and hair are so dry nothing helps it.....and after having several medical tests the dr tells me "You are a completely healthy woman"! This is not healthy and i feel as though menopause has taken so much from me. I feel like im in the movie groundhog day where im reliving the same nightmarish day over and over, nothing is changing! I am so sorry all of you strong women have to suffer with this same problem as i do....they should label it a disease not a transition!

15 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I am so exhausted all the time. My eyes are so heavy yet I can not sleep or wake at 4am and can't get back to sleep. By bp is all over the place, gets quite high, then drops, and I am medicated. I have neck pain, tinnitus and the list goes on .......

• Edited

we just have to rule out anything serious and troop on the best we can, what choice do we have! im trying to do little things i enjoy even if it doesnt feel the same after all if we dont how is our brain going to know right from wrong x

• Edited

OMG it is like looking in a mirror everything is the exact same for me I lost so much weight, I couldn't eat I was a shell. I tried all the same meds you did. Please find yourself a GP that will test your hormone levels - I had to beg my GP to put me on HRT . I started it on Mar 13 and have trust issues with medication now and I am scared this wont help me either, but it is making a difference. I still have some symptoms but i have to give myself some time before I write it off and maybe my dosage is too low but at least there is hope I have had one solid day of happiness on Saturday and I hope there is more to come. hang in there ! I know its a nightmare but you can do it you can get your life back

• Edited

I am so glad everyone took the time to post. I truly thought until I read all the above that I was an anomaly.

I have found a vegan natural estrogen that has helped with the hot flashes (Smoky Mountain Naturals if anyone is interested) and recently added their progesterone (also vegan) 3 weeks out of the month.

While these have definitely helped me with the hot flashes, the lack of energy, depression (which has been life long for me) and anxiety get worse as time goes on. Like others have posted, no amount of sleep, anti-depressants, etc help or if they do it's not for long. I wake up feeling panicked most mornings though there is no reason I should. Routine chores take longer, getting out of bed to drag myself around for the day takes longer, I am clumsy and drop things more than I ever did before.

I too have ZERO interest in sex or really any physical contact, I prefer being alone (though I am married) and left alone. I too look different. I have no friends, do not socialize and no interests in either. I don't have the motivation nor energy. I feel rage at times with an undercurrent of anger and irritability most days. I have no idea why most of the time. I have short changed myself into a position in a job that I don't like but allows me to limit interaction but have an income.

So much of what I thought life would be, who I thought I would be at this point in my life, is NO where near that. I had no idea menopause could wreak such havoc on women and those around them and that so little progress has been made in this area of women's health. And that makes the despair, shame, guilt, panic and vulnerability I feel at times all that much worse.

It's like some alien came in and snatched me right out of me, leaving just a shell of what I was. I know life as I knew it is over but I also feel life in general is. Just going through the motions until..and that is a sad commentary for ones life.

• Posted

do you know for sure you dont have too much estrogen? are you still having regular periods? x

• Edited

i just want to reassure you that you are not crazy, and yes diet changes and vitamins can help but i also know from experience that sometimes diet changes and vitamins are too overwhelming and expensive. do not feel like you arent doing your best cause u are . i found HRT has helped me get through the mental exhaustion of this so that i am able to make better decisions. i am not "cured" but i am well enough to actually comprehend other options.

• Edited

I can understand this , menopause is ruining my function of life . I don't want to leave my home at all.

• Edited

I totally understand and I am barely holding on. you are not alone.

• Edited

SAME FEEL LIKE OLD ME GONE PERSONALITY NO CONFIDENCE NO OOMPH AT ALL NO SEX DRIVE LOST JOB LAST YEAR DUE TO THIS BEEN ON SEVERAL TYPES OF HRT NOW ON OESTROGEL TWO PUMPS DAILY UTROGESTAN 100 mg every other night also fluoxetine 20 mg also got testron gel feel low mood lost constanf sadness no interest in anything no confidence feel old me gone its horrible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.