Menopause has ruined me

Posted , 27 users are following.

This is more of a rant so i can feel better but is it just me or has perimenopause/menopause changed and ruined your life? Life as i once knew it will never be the same, i feel like im living in purgatory day after day....leading in to year after year, every month seems to keep getting worse! This horrible journey began for me 6 years ago when i was still in my 30s, i would pray every week that things would get better or after my period went away i would feel a little better...i can say this i havent seen a period in over 200 days and i feel worse! Over the years i have tried antidepressants (made things worse) tried hormones (made things worse) tried eating a little better (didnt notice any difference), tried vitamins with no change, tried probiotic and noticed no difference.....i have even been in counseling for 5 years in case its "all in my head".....nothing has helped me. My days now constist of waking up every morning not wanting to get out of bed, i drag myself to my bathroom to take my bath, i look in the mirror and see a bony sick lady who looks twice her age staring back at me. I try to force myself to eat throughout the day (im lucky if i get 4 bites in me), then for the next 12 hours i fight nausea and lower gut gurgling while the food attempts to digest, i feel tired and so depressed, i cant go any place or else my anxiety explodes, i cant feel happy about anything cause my stomach hurts, my head hurts, i feel lightheaded/dizzy, i have a ringing in my ears, i have lost most of my sense of taste, i have NO sex drive, i have facial twitches that i had never had before in my life, insomnia at times, my skin and hair are so dry nothing helps it.....and after having several medical tests the dr tells me "You are a completely healthy woman"! This is not healthy and i feel as though menopause has taken so much from me. I feel like im in the movie groundhog day where im reliving the same nightmarish day over and over, nothing is changing! I am so sorry all of you strong women have to suffer with this same problem as i do....they should label it a disease not a transition!

15 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Brandy, I'm home over a year and now I'm trying my 3rd med for this. Tried toughing it out naturally and I was a crying mess. Waiting now for side effects to pass and I'm home until they do. It sucks that I can't just get up and leave my house to do all the normal things I used to do. It's like living in a cage chained. I'm battling extreme morning anxiety now on this med I'm taking which apparently is common until the side effects of that pass over the course of several weeks. It's so horrible. I will be calmer by the afternoon but, I then still have anxiety that keeps me in the house till the evening and then it's time to sleep and repeat this over and over and over. I wish I could just be put to sleep until this ends. Like place me in a coma for several months while the meds kick in. I was so strong and in charge before this hit. It is unreal what hormones can do and it should be treated differently because calling it a natural transition is not that for us dealing with these debilitating symptoms leaving us unable to function. My Aunt had one hot flash and was done with everything by 40!!!! WTH.....I'm just in peri at 48!!!!! I'm trying now to just keep busy till this passes. Watching a lot of LMN movies and cooking, cleaning. There's really not much else I realize I can do until this passes so, I'm really trying to accept where I am right now but, it's so freakin hard. Sending hugs to you.

• Posted

I hear you! I love my house but im sick of being handcuffed here....i tried the antidepressants on at least 4 different ocassions it was awful! I was much more sicker when i tried them, i hung in there for 2-3 months each time and then i just couldnt do it anymore, the side effects never improved for me i really hope they do for you. Nobody deserves this garbage 😦

• Edited

At 51, sounds like the story of the past decade of my life. I have most of what you're going through to a severe degree now. It all started much more subtly - leading me to believe in the earlier years I had a terrible digestive disorder, some form of arthritis or maybe even MS. I saw countless doctors over time and all tests always came up negative other than needing thyroid medication. I was perfectly healthy on paper but feeling so awful that, one by one, I had to give up every activity I ever loved (especially the gym). The saddest part is that not one medical professional in all this time ever suspected or considered perimenopause. It wasn't until the severe hot flashes started for me in 2018 that I realized I was in the thick of it. Since then I asked two different doctors (one of which was a female GYN) to test my hormone levels - explaining that I can barely function now due to so many severe symptoms - and both refused!!! The GYN suggested accupuncture for relief, which is not affordable since I can't work. I can't imagine this being life for years to come!

• Edited

i suffer with my thyroid over active. its so bloody frustrating when no one believes your body is screaming HELP ME! i can honestly say this web site is the best thing thats happened for us all just to support each other. thanks shirley

• Edited

Drs are horrible! My symptoms began at the age of 36, by the time i was 38 my periods were coming every three months, my dr said i was too young for peri. Low and behold when i was 40 the hotflashes hit for a whole year and when i was 41 my periods disappeared all together! I feel so awful, i constantly feel like im dying from something. I use to be a strong independent woman, now im so sick i cant leave my house and rely on others to help me with groceries and what not. I hate it!! I just feel like i cant do this anymore 😦

• Edited

Thanks to all who have shared their struggles online. Because of you I FINALLY know what's wrong with me. For so many years I was really believing I'm just a sickly, unhearty person despite feeling so strong and capable in my 20s and 30s ... never correlating hormonal changes to digestive problems (my stomach churning aloud as I type) and so many other things. Wow!!! I can't imagine having been robbed of even my 30s with this misery. We must keep fighting the good fight and hope for relief soon.

• Edited

I hope that your misery lets up or even leaves you soon! I keep hoping and praying day in and day out that it will subside for me but it hasn't yet....6 years is such a long time to suffer like this. And yes oh my gosh i thought i was literally insane cause of how sick i feel but no dr would listen to me.....and yes the loud gurgling and groaning noises that come from my stomach/gut can be heard by everyone!! No matter what i eat....even the brat diet i still feel awful....i hope we all can feel better soon!

• Edited

I turned 50 a year ago and this all hit me too. No one will tell me its perimenopause but Ive had every test ran and all shows normal. Been to every doctor, urgent care and ED. It is not really nausea but I just feel under the weather with hot flashes all day and some throughout the night. I gained 7 pounds early this year, had severe bloating told I have IBS. Now I think I am losing weight, things don't taste good anymore. I have pins and needles in my legs, muscle weakness and achiness everyday- had all that checked out- lumbar radiculopathy but I have read this occurs with perimenopause. I have terrible insomnia. Wake up to start the whole day over feeling the exact same way! Sometimes I wish I had anything that could be cured or fixed. I was terribly sick during my pregnancies so maybe this is why I feel this way now. I had a partial hysterectomy 2 years ago so I will never know when my periods end. I've told this to other women who never had much other than hot flashes. I am starting to feel like a hypochondriac and need to stop googling things. I am so glad I found this site. I am sorry we are all going through this! Relief is not in site if it lasts 10 years. I eat healthy and try to exercise but feel old and broken at age 50. And what's going on in the world today does not help at all.

• Posted

I would give anything just to feel normal again for one full week!!! Its been so long since i had a good day. Oh gosh i miss the taste of food..,everything tastes different or some days i cant taste at all! I need to gain weight but i can barely stomach food from the nausea....i always feel like after a couple of bites i have a bowling ball in my stomach. Oh and i have tried antidepressants 4 times in case it was "mental" & it made me feel way worse and even added new symptoms like insomnia and intense headaches. So i feel like i have no options left than to suffer. I was very sick too with my last pregnancy 14 years ago.

• Edited

Same here! Every day is the same. They need to come up with some miracle drug. I am constantly worrying the doctor is missing something- even requested he run additional tests, now haven't heard back. When they can't find anything wrong, I think they just stop trying to figure it out. I would like to try something for the hormones but there will be side effects to that I'm sure. I constantly feel like I just got off an amusement park ride. Try to have a nice day the best you can!

• Edited

Feel sad to hear your story my dear.

You r not alone..we all here r facing hard time in peri in different extents .

please take care of yourself.have healthy food

Add more water in your day.

This is hard phase of life

Hang is there..this mantra i do everyday ..

You r not alone my dear friend .

Hugs

• Posted

i know this was a long time ago but is anyone feeling any better?

• Posted

Absolutely ruined me completely im half the person i use to be and still struggling 8 years on, i feel for me life will never be the same.

BUT i must say some of the horrendous symptoms iv experienced have calmed but iv gained others.

its just not fair what us ladies have to go through and no one warned me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.