menopause hrt and antidepressant

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi laddies looking for advice please my menopause nurse has changed hrt from everol to levial I started first pill today but my gp gave me floxitine last week cause I was depressed.I am wondering what is one of drugs don't agree with me I will not know what one is causing the prob so am I better of not taking floxitine just to see if levial helps with my depression.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can I ask why you changed from evorel?
  • Posted

Hi Beverley, loo loo here. Good question. I think if it were me, I would pause on the fluroxetine for 4wks while you try the different hrt. When I started my hrt, I found my mood swings & anxiety started to improve about 2-3wks of starting it. Try not to look further ahead than 4wks (no what if, what if, what if thoughts if you can!) Just resign yourself to trying the new hrt for 4wks & review how you feel then. Only then, consider whether to stay with just hrt (if you are improving a bit) or to add in the fluroxetine. Just take one step at a time (I try to) as it really helps to stop you worrying about things so much. I am ill at the moment & have a couple of health issues with possible impact ahead with continuing work absence, holiday at risk, but am in limbo with further hospital tests/treatment, so out of my hands. so I am just dealing with the immediate issue of taking my meds, & trying to control pain. I am not thinking further than that as I am doing all I can RIGHT NOW, & if I think what if , what if , what if, I will just drive myself bonkers with anxiety about things that may not even happen! I learnt this change of thinking when you are faced with certain problems/stressful situations when I had cognitive behaviour therapy for anxiety & depression about 6yrs ago, & I find it really helpful. It stops your thoughts getting swept down the river of anxiety. It takes practise & self discipline to try & think this way when faced with problems, but after a few situations it becomes almost automatic behaviour. Sorry if I sound like a psychologist (I'm not), but I always like to share anything helpful that works for me!!! xxxx
    • Posted

Great advice loo loo. I am learning to think of today not tomorrow. I hope you start to feel a bit better soon x
    • Posted

Thanks Michelle. It really does help if you can recognise the "what if" thoughts coming, then just consciously try to stop them in there tracks & think right; this is all I can do right now, the rest is out of my hands until....next step. & to be fairly patient to try things/let things take there course. definately a learning/with practise curve though.... xxx
    • Posted

The recognizing part is SO hard for me. By the time I am aware my anxiety is already off and running. And it's hard to reign it in at that point. I have a great book that gives good counter statements to the distorted thoughts but still so hard to change a lifetimes worth of thinking a certain way.

So glad you said it's helped you as it gives me hope and inspires me to keep at it looloo!xx

• Posted

Do you know what (Sis'!!!) , if my babble about what I learnt from cognitive behaviour therapy about changing thought processes helps even one lady on here, I will be so glad I "babbled" on about it!!!! xxx
    • Posted

Sis (yay!!! I'm an only child so having a sis on here means so much to me!!!), babble on about cbt anytime you feel led to. It's one of the best tools to have while going through peri and in general life. Sometimes I feel that even if my body gets through to the other side of menopause my mind may not. So I really want to work on cbt so that it becomes automatic to think more rationally, balanced and positive. So thanks again Sis!
    • Posted

You're welcome Sis!! It genuinely makes me happy to help. My doctor recommended this forum a few years ago when I was diagnosed with colitis; I'm so glad she did. It's such a wonderful area to talk to people in such an open manner, sharing everything & anything in an unbiased, non - judgmental, supportive way with genuinely nice people. It lifts/helps you when you are struggling, & in turn, you can lift/help other people too. xxxx
    • Posted

Hi Sis! That sounds like a good doctor to me. I've mentioned this forum to a few of the doctors I've seen and they poopooed it. Even after I said we shared a lot of similar symptoms they didn't listen.

As for me this forum has been the difference between night and day. So many smart, compassionate and beautiful ladies sharing our experience, strength and hope. SO blessed to have found it. And a sister to boot!!!

• Posted

Hi Sis! My doctor actually mentioned "patient uk" rather than the forums to be accurate, but the whole site - info, forums particularly is great as it gives factual info, plus the priceless forums to talk about things, vent, get help & experience from other ladies & of course offer help too. She is a great doctor - I even asked her the other day if her boobs felt bigger/fuller since she started the hrt a month ago (we are on the same hrt regimen & I have found my boobs feel fuller/firmer - happy days!). She said "sadly no not yet..." we had a right laugh about it! She's helped me alot over the years with anxiety/depression, colitis amongst other things, & now when I've come to the dreaded "change" she was super informed about menopause & hrt - helped alay my fears of hrt & got me on a safe & suitable regimen from the start. I might buy a little thankyou gift actually......It's such a shame all the other lovely ladies I talk to on here don't get the same from their gp's. I am one of the lucky ones I guess. I'm glad you find this forum so helpful too "Sis", I know what you mean when you say it's the difference between night & day sometimes. xxxx
    • Posted

Hi looloo

You are so lucky to have a caring and helpful doctor. I see my doctor on Tuesday. I am checking regarding my utrogestan tablets,she told me to take 100mg each day and a lot of ladles use 200mg each day xxx

• Posted

Hi Michelle. yes, I think that's definately worth checking as we discussed before. Could make a big difference to you. Also mention the thyroid - especially as your bp was so low - was it last october you had it checked if I remember right? Alot can change in 9mths. Let me know how you get on. xxx
    • Posted

Yes I'll ask her to check my thyroid,surely she can't say no. I will ask about the progesterone dosage too. Your memory is very good x
    • Posted

I remember because we both talk to each other alot on here. Would not have remembered pre - hrt though smile I still have moments where I go from one room to another in the house to do something, & forget what I've gone there for though - partly age/ partly peri I think! xxx
    • Posted

Oh God I do that. I go and get a specific thing in the next room and don't know why I'm in there and asking the same question more than once. Well at least I'm not working now. I gave up 4 months ago so I haven't got that worry now. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.