Menopause matters

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi ladies, just wondered if any of you UK ladies saw the BBC one program Menopause Matters tonight and what you thought of it.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi Sarah yes i watched it... great someone is actually talking about it but obviously Mariella forstrop doesnt live in most womens world.

she has access to a one to one meno doctor that listens and helps!

the reality for most of us uk women is a bit different.

Although we do have the NHS which is more than our us friends do.

• Posted

i was going to post about it and ask the same. to be honest...i didnt get much from it as didnt touch off the whole range of symptoms....just the usual hot flushes and anxiety. What about the rest?? the stomach and bowel issues. migraine and neasea which i have badly today... It made light of the subject to be honest for me anyway....it didnt really mention how we feel in this forum...

and this whole issue if turning the clock back??? you cannot avoid what our bodies naturally do and who will have the resources to implant tissue from your ovary...???.i understand those who need it like that young lady with cancer...but in world i live in...i would have liked to see how we cope with all the symptoms...sorry for the rant but i feel we are still not really understanding what is happening during menopause. CK

• Posted

yes I to thought it didnt tell us much we didnt already know, my partner watched it with me and even he said didnt really show anything new apart from the the new treatment to reverse the menopause in the future. I to was hoping she would discuss more symptoms other than hot flushes(I dont get them its the anxiety and pain that effects me most, although I am aware hot flushes can be debilitating ) and was hoping for new treatments other than what we new already like hrt, cbt ,vitamins(tryed them all didnt work for me)

• Posted

This forum has taught me more about the menopause than any tv program or doctor, my doctors are clueless and have written me off because they dont no what else to do with me as Hrt didnt work and im sensitive to anti depressants the only thing that helped was lorazapam but only in emergencys because of addiction, Cbt didnt help as I didnt gel with my therapist so my doc just acted like im a lost cause so theres still a massive way to go before your taken seriously.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

If your anxiety is very bad, you may try Chinese medicine. This is what I got off from my anxiety. It is call 加味六味地黄丸,Jiawei Liuwei Dihuang Wan

• Posted

Hi lucy, Thanks for the message about chinese medicine. Is it expensive though.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Not at all. I am in Canada, pay $5.8 for the whole week. I took one week, my anxiety got much better.

• Posted

Yes I watched it, it did make me laugh when the private gynocologist advised Mariella do continue taking HRT forever!! Of course she would advise that or she would not be getting paid otherwise. Felt like it was a HRT advertisment programme but maybe thats just me. I would have liked it to show conversations with women discussing their symptoms and how they feel, like we do on this forum. I think menopause would be a different experience if you have access to private doctors, tests, massage, reflexology, expensive supplements but I dont have the money for that. It showed a group of women having CBT but unless you pay for it privately its not available on the NHS.

• Posted

I agree Caroline. being extra financially fortunate is helpful. Most of us are too tired and worn out to even drive ourselves to these appointments. I am in the US, have not seen this show...but have seen similiar type programs on amazon. Totally advertising, hrt, or drinking supplements to cure cancer...etc. All hat you believe I guess!

• Posted

yes I agree totally, Im jobless at the mo so cant affird a prescription let alone private. I had cbt on the nhs last year but only had a few sessions and knocked it on the head.

• Posted

Hi, I watched the programme and have to admit was disappointed with the content. It concentrated a lot on HRT and it would have been better to hear from women about their peri-menopausal, menopause and post menopausal experiences. The symptoms, the effects to their lives and how they have managed symptoms.

Certainly for me peri was the most difficult time for me. The actual state of menopause has not been so bad as it has mellowed me, and on the occasions I feel anxious or brain fog descends I use guided meditation on my phone before bed and use a CBT technique of writing lists of things I need to do on a pad near my bed.

I don't think Mariella, the presenter is your average menopausal lady - she has the means to consult privately and HRT has worked for her. It isn't the answer for every woman. The programme should have looked more at diet, exercise and mental wellbeing. Regrowing ovary tissue is the last thing I want to know about as not having periods, clear skin and not having to worry about contraception is a good thing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.