Menopause? Muscle pain, weakness and strains.

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi. Although I have been tested and told I am not menopausal my body is telling me different. For 2 years now I have been getting more and more pain in my muscles, mainly arms, shoulders and hands.

My legs are bad first thing, I really hobble when I first get up. I've also had to pay many visits to the physio to help with strains and muscle problems., in fact amongst my friends it's a bit of a joke how easily I get injured.

On doing research it appears it could be a symptom of menopause. I'm 51 so the right age, I do get hot flushes and my nails are dreadful, flakey and splitting. Am I just going mad? Is it just my age? Or could it really be hormonal? Anyone with similar experiences?

I'm 51 and sometimes feel 91, it can't be right!!!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Katherine

Your not going mad and it sounds like your in peri menopause

I am suffering with aches and pains my ankles are the worse especially in the morning I hobble across the room like a 90 year old

Also having hot flushes

Your not alone as you will find on this forum

So many ladies with the same problems /symptoms

X

• Posted

Join the club 😊 I wake in the morning and dread getting out of bed as never know how my legs will be!! Some days they are fine next day can hardly walk. Have muscle pain and weakness and aching hands and tingling fingers

Also have thyroid problem and vit b12 deficiency so the combo of all 3 is a nightmare!!!

Take vit D and vit b12 oral spray - both very good and help energy and muscles

• Posted

This happened to me at 45. Please have your vitamin D levels checked. My vitamin D was VERY low, and I felt just as you're describing. It feels like having the flu. It takes awhile to get it built back up, but it helped me to get those levels to normal. ??

• Posted

Visit your gynecologist rather than a gp who hasn't a clue about peri-menopause.

• Posted

I had the exact same. Im menopausal and have thyroid disease. Worth getting your thyroid levels checked, a quick blood test at GPs. If this isnt the issue, perhaps you could do with looking at taking vitamins and minerals. There are loads of posts here with great info, and you already have replies advising this. Im sure you will get better. I can clearly remember going to GP saying I felt like I was 80. Bit much better now with thyroid pills and vits. Also, worth having a look at the many symptoms of menopause, and also those of hypothyroidism. Xx
  • Posted

Wow I've been having the exact same my shoulder my elbow my hands ache like the dickens this has been going on for the past week or so I've been soaking in Epson salt it help but comes back later it's crazy I thought this was the list I did until I look up at the name we go through a lot welcome to the wonderful world of menopause

• Posted

Revamp your diet.  Vit B complex or Brewer's yeast for hair and nails.

Cold pressed flax seed oil or pumpkin seed oil for jionts and heart.  

Maca root for hot flashes.

Detox

• Posted

You are not mad, I'm 52 and was feeling like I was 90. I started taking glycosamine. It helps some. It seems like a symptom of menopause. Trust yourself you know your body.

• Posted

Dear Katherine

Sounds like peri to me, I had terrible muscle pain especially when getting out of bed, I take multi vit for over fifties which has magnesium in, symptoms of low magnesium can cause muscle pain and body twitches, I had bad eye twitches, i dont get the pain so bad since taking supplements x

• Posted

I take B12 – 1000ug in the mornings. In the evening I take Osteocare original by Vitabiotics it has (Calcium-Magnesium-D3 & Zinc) the magnesium is for muscle pain & D3 is for bone pain. I have researched this as I had pain all over especially in my arms & neck & couldn’t bare the pain any longer it was driving me insane! I am so happy this has worked for me, it took a good couple of months to kick in but I feel like my old self again! Doctors don’t seem to know enough about the change & as long as you get all your blood test done, its better trying an alternative. I am now on HRT which has stopped my night sweats & I can finally get a good night sleep.

Hope this helps, good luck!

• Posted

can I ask you what the pain in your arm felt like and was it the top of your arm?

• Posted

hi bev the pain is mainly my right arm starts at wrist almost like a cold bone ache nube feeling if that makes sense, but it then travels up to my elbow & shoulder. can actually be painful paracetamol/ibuprofen does nothing. i also get it in my knees & at the moment lower back is very sore x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.