Mental effects of mono

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

so I’ve been going through the effects of this horrible virus since early March. Weakness, off balance feeling and anxiety were my biggest symptoms. My energy is so much better now compared to last month but I’m really struggling mentally and it’s scaring me! I’ve always been someone who is able to think rationally but I don’t know where that person went! I keep having these horrible negative thoughts that I’m going to loose control of my life or that what My eyes are seeing isn’t real and I just have this horrible sense of dread and it’s making me feel really depressed.I just feel so disconnected from reality and I feel like I’m going nuts. I’ve also become so highly sensitive to every little feeling in my body and it’s reslly taking a toll on me... I’m really just begging to overthink everything and I don’t know what to do, someone please tell me they went through sometimes similar I feel so paranoid right now 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi dominika,

Really empathizing about what you are saying right now, as I totally am going through the same thing. Where you just can’t see light at the end of the tunnel and just always think and stress and are really sad and depressed about it, and you get these horrible feelings that you will never get better again.

That happens to a lot of us as it goes on for so long and is hard to control what thoughts come in our head, of course stress is bad and makes it worse but it’s impossible not to stress! 

Just want to let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel for you! And the fact that you have felt better since before shows that you are in the right direction and it will fully get better for you. You will keep improving until you are fully healthy again. 

Just try not to worry (even though I know how hard it is) and keep your head up and talk to those who will help you. I’m rooting for you!!

Youngboy

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate all the kind words and reassurance coming from the people on this forum. It’s just so hard to think straight when I haven’t been myself for so long and it really gets me worried. I just have those days where I feel so negative and like nothing is in my control but reading these comments really helps. I hope you and I both make a full recovery soon! 
    • Posted

I totally agree, I too have those terrible  days where it’s hard to think good and I worry all day and and really sad. It is very normal for you to have those days and remember to look at the progress you have made and know that you will fully recover even though I know how hard it is right now. Keep your head up!

Youngboy

• Posted

HI dominika,

Yes, I went through exactly the same thing it is so scary, it took me a full year to feel normal. I was perfectly normal the first 54 years of my life, but the anxiety, strange depressed feeling and overall feeling of illness, body aches, shakiness,anxiety  really took there toll. Once you start feeling better each month the symptoms will get lighter and lighter and eventually you will recover, message anytime, this forum is the best source of support.

• Posted

thank you so much for the reply, it’s so reassuring to know that others are going through the same thing as you, even as horrible as it is! 
  • Posted

Hello Dominika,

I can most definitely relate to your experiences from the time I went through the virus. I became very depressed and scared too, it really robs you of your confidence because it's so debilitating and the symptoms are so wide and varied and go on for so long. My experience was that the stage you are at right now, 4-5 months in, can be the worst because you have already been unwell for so many months and just feel wearied when you don't see much sign of improvement or recovery.

Let me reassure you this is normal Dominika, it is normal for the virus symptoms still to be so intense at this stage, I had this awful low grade fever and fatigue and all sorts of other aches and symptoms right throughout and it was awful. But i do want to assure you that this does pass, it WILL get better and don't panic if it still takes a little time for full recovery, that is normal but it does come. I trust that God will bring healing for you I really do, there is life after this horrible virus and it is normal to be so unwell for an extended period with this and go on to make a full and complete recovery - truly this is the normal course for this and I really believe you will get there.

I was very anxious and fragile mentally during the virus for sure, it's hard to keep your spirits up and not to become discouraged and over think it all, it really is I know that. It's not easy, just focus on each day at a time and don't look too far ahead, remembering that this is temporary and it does get better, and that getting through each day when dealing with this is an achievement - truly it is. Don't beat yourself up or be hard on yourself or expect too much from yourself right now, just rest when you can and know that although it's hard to see right now you will get better!

Taking vitamins and herbs helped me through the virus, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, extra Vitamin C (1000-3000mg per day), B complex (good for energy levels, nervous system and mental function) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea. 

This phase will pass Dominika and you will feel physically and mentally more like yourself again, but for now just take things slowly and be kind to yourself as this is such a traumatic experience I know that for sure. Hang in there and believing you are going to get fully 100% better with a little time.

Craig

• Posted

Craig,

thank you so much for the reassurance and kind words. I see you doing this for everyone on the forum and I can tell it just makes such a huge difference to all of us going through this horrible thing. I would write more but it’s just hard to think right now, just know I appreciate the advice, thank you so much 

Dominika 

• Posted

You're very welcome Dominika and please don't worry about writing more, I know how hard it is to even come on forums like that and write anything when feeling so horrible and down. Just want you to know I'm thinking about you and truly believing in your recovery - hang in there each day for now and remember you ARE going to get there and get through this and get fully better. Trusting God always. 

Craig

• Posted

Hi dominika

I haven’t written on this forum in months. I wanted to write to you to let you know that I struggled hard with the mental effects of mono. Many of the things you wrote I experienced and a little bit more. I can tell you that you WILL recover. As hard as it may seem right now, it will happen. It takes time. What helped me a lot was this forum.  Positivity and Craig specifically. Message me anytime if you have any questions. 

• Posted

Hey Shawna,

I really hope that you are feeling much better now, it is really good to see a post from you. Absolutely great advice there, this virus DOES get better for sure, just so frustrating that it takes time. Hanging in there through the physical and mental effects is one of the hardest things ever, it's easy for others to look and see that you look alright and say well it can't be too bad or whatever, but unless you have went through this horrible virus it is hard for others to relate and really understand.

But there is hope absolutely and there is recovery, given time, from this for everyone on the forum I truly believe that. And really hoping you are doing much better Shawna great to hear from you, and thanks so much for the kind words. Thinking about you!!

Craig

• Posted

Great advice Shawna, I agree with Craig about hoping you are feeling much better. 

And dominika I too agree on what Craig and Shawna said as you will get better and It’s so hard to believe it during the tough times but remember it will happen for you!

Youngboy

• Posted

Hi Craig 

I can say that I am doing sooo much better. I’m living my life again and a better one. I didn’t want to say anything prematurely. But given time, patience, rest and understanding I am well again. I think this virus makes us believe we won’t get better which brings anxiety and stress which the virus feeds off of. It’s a vicious cycle. Thank you again for being the hope and encouragement everyone needs on this forum Craig. There’s place very special for you in heaven. 

• Posted

Hi Shawna,

That’s great that you are feeling better, it’s good to hear that. I really agree with you about Craig’s help. There definetly is a special place for you Craig and god is with you and you truly are an amazing person. 

I wanted to ask you, are you fully recovered where you can do active stuff and workout again? If so, how long did it take you in total time? 

I’m 6 months in and it’s really difficult as the stress and everything is so hard and I’m having fevers that won’t go away. It’s good to hear your doing better though shawna, 

Youngboy

• Posted

Hi Shawna,

It is amazing to hear you are doing so much better. Yes I totally understand you really are almost frightened to say it with this virus because it goes on so long and has so many ups and downs. I really appreciate your kind words, I just know how badly this virus affected me and want others to know there is hope and there is recovery - there really is, and truly believing Shawna you are going to get even stronger and even better as time continues on and the further away you get from this virus!! Do let us know how things are going still, and remember still take things slowly and build things up gradually even when feeling better, that's still important!

Young Boy I wondered about this too when going through the virus, felt my body would never be strong enough to cope with anything stressful or physical again - but absolutely your body resilience does fully return and I was able to get back to sports and normal way of life again, able to do all the things I was able to do before. And I truly believe you will too, it gets you so down when you can't do the things you enjoy I know, but remember that you will get back to these things and try to be sensible and not overdo things for now, I know it's so hard when you just want to do the things you enjoy - but that time will come again truly it will!!

Thinking of you both!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I definitely agree with you on how shawna wouldn’t want to say anything to early because of the ups and downs! Definitely don’t want to jinx anything!

Thank you so much for the encouragement and great words again Craig! Yes it is hard when I want to do things I enjoy but I can’t do the things that I enjoy! But thank you for your great words and I’m thinking about you as well! As for you Shawna!

Youngboy

• Posted

Thanks as always Young Boy, you really have been a great support to everyone on the forum and I am definitely still believing you are getting through this and going to be fully healthy again. Thinking of you today!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.