Mental effects of mono

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, 

so I’ve been going through the effects of this horrible virus since early March. Weakness, off balance feeling and anxiety were my biggest symptoms. My energy is so much better now compared to last month but I’m really struggling mentally and it’s scaring me! I’ve always been someone who is able to think rationally but I don’t know where that person went! I keep having these horrible negative thoughts that I’m going to loose control of my life or that what My eyes are seeing isn’t real and I just have this horrible sense of dread and it’s making me feel really depressed.I just feel so disconnected from reality and I feel like I’m going nuts. I’ve also become so highly sensitive to every little feeling in my body and it’s reslly taking a toll on me... I’m really just begging to overthink everything and I don’t know what to do, someone please tell me they went through sometimes similar I feel so paranoid right now 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi dominika, 

Im kinda new here and just read your post. I can so relate to what you said , the anxiety, off balance, brain fog , dizziness, tired , and feeling like just plain crap. Oh and not sleepy good too. I never had a sore throat or any of the other symptoms. Just word for word what you said. I started this horrible journey about the same time as you. I will say it’s getting a little better for me now. Reading these posted has helped me so so much because now I know Im not going crazy. My wife tells me you look ok are sure it’s not in your head ! That’s been really hard on me mentally because no person in their right mind would want this horrible virus and the horrible ways it affects us mentally. I know now I’m going to kick some butt on Epstein Barr virus and live a better live after it’s gone because now I really appreciate life more. Sorry for rambling on but I’ve had enough of this crap. I hope your doing better and wish you the best of luck. Stay in touch and keep me updated !!!!

Take Care , Dave 

• Posted

Hi Dave,

Yeah you're so right that mono is extremely hard to deal with not only physically but mentally and emotionally because of the severity of the symptoms and the longevity of the virus. It's the not knowing how long it's going to take for recovery that is really hard I found, if you knew that things were going to be tough for even say 3 months from now but that you would be fully recovered after that, it would be a blow to have to deal with this for that time but at least you would have hope and encouragement knowing if you got through that time things would get better.

It definitely does get better Dave, even after months of struggling or little improvement like I had, God helped me make a big step forward in only a short space of time, and that seems to be common place with the virus - there is no set pattern or logic to recovery, it can be up-down zig-zag all the way. But most definitely as you say you're going to kick butt with thing - but remember that doesn't mean to say you need to be in the face of it trying to live a normal and fully active life  - with this sometimes you just need to take a step back, give yourself plenty of time to rest and recovery, understand that today might not be the best day but that this won't last forever and there is recovery on its way - naturally key mistake many folks make is just doing too much and overdoing it when your body is crying out for rest. So even when feeling a little better, take things slow and don't overdo it, build things up slowly, and if there are days or times that you feel awful, remember that this is only temporary and that such setbacks will become less and less as time goes on.

Sorry for rambling too and hope you have a settled weekend and week ahead - thinking about you Dave and you Dominika too as I know you have both had such a hard time with this. Trusting Jesus as the great healer and to restore health and peace in your lives, I truly believe that is going to happen and that God is working on it right now. on your behalf!

Craig

• Posted

Hi David,

So sorry that you have to go through this as well, it really can be so stressful and worrisome but I’m glad to hear it’s getting better. It really is a strange virus because from the outside you can look completely normal but it just drains your energy to the point where it’s so difficult to do anything. Show your wife this forum! So many of us have a lot of strange and also prolonged symptoms that doctors don’t seem to understand, but it is very much real. Nobody wants to be house bound for so many months. 

Although it takes time, it does get better and more stable over time. In the beginning my days would be very up and down. One day I would be less anxious and have a little more energy and then the next day I would wake up feeling very worried, scared, and absolutely drained. That was May/June for me. Now it is almost the end of August and my energy is much more stable and I can go out with friends for a couple hours, do a bit of small shopping, and go out to eat without feeling like collapsing when I come back home. It really is a great feeling when you can start living your normal life again, and I believe you WILL get better soon too! 

I think everyone that has gone through this virus can agree that it really makes you appreciate  life more, and makes you realize how important health is and to never take it for granted. health is wealth! 

Thanks for taking the time to message David, hoping things will only go up from here for you and wishing for your full recovery soon smile 

Dominika 

• Posted

Very well put words Dominika, I'm hoping you are feeling more settled this week and just wanted you to know I'm still thinking about you and rooting for you - hang in there, things WILL get better.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.