Metaprolol or ablation for svt.?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with SVT AVNRT to be exact. At first Vegal maneuvers worked but they began to stop. The episodes became more frequent and lasted longer and longer. I was offered Metaprolol or Ablation. I started Metaprolol. I am concerned about any long term effects as this seems like it's for the rest of my life. I like the option of ablation for the reason that it permanently gets rid of this, but there are risks like heart attack, stroke, death, and possibly needing a pace maker if something goes wrong. Scary. I would like to hear from people who have had the ablation and their experience.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I haven't had the ablation and won't be having it due to the fact of that it doesn't fix it. most people that have had the ablation it has came back. I've been taking metoprolol the last 2 years and it has controlled my svt's which before were very bad. metoprolol has kept me away from hospital, I take 25mg twice daily. it has given me my life back, it still get svt's but not very often and the ones I get now are mild before I took metoprolol my svt's were running 15 hours. which were getting to be dangerous

• Edited

Penny,

I'm not sure where you got your information about the ablation not working, but all the studies I read (Mayo clinic, John's Hopkins, etc) said the ablation is almost 100% cure, especially for AVNRT. I know several people, myself included, who have had it and never had another episode. I only had my surgery in January so more time is warranted but I havent had any issues what's so ever.

The drugs never worked for me and made my blood pressure too low and just made me tired and lethargic. I highly recommend ablation. Its been a life saver!

• Posted

Thanks. Mine have been increasing. Over the last 6 months. They went from 15 minutes and vegal maneuvers working to them not working and it lasting 10 to 12 hours. I've had 24 episodes of that time period. Today is day 3 of Metaprolol. I was so tired yesterday and a bit nauseated.

• Posted

I have to take my blood pressure every time before I take that pill. (2X a day) if it's too low or my pulse is too low, I have to skip it. Yesterday am, after workout, I almost had to skip. Systolic was 91. This is one of my concerns about taking the medicine. Your issues sound just like mine. It's good to hear this.

• Posted

yea it sounds exactly the same. My episodes would last 5-6 hours and usually the only thing that stopped them was if I fell asleep. After being in the ER multiple times in one month I decided a pace maker would be better if that was the worst outcome. I also had an ER doc scare the heck out of me when he told me about a doctor friend of his who had the same thing and just died while out on a ride.

I can't express enough how happy I am that I did it. Hope this gives you reassurance.

• Edited

hi! I am 37, super fit and healthy and was diagnosed with the same thing. I tried medicine but nothing seemed to work. After multiple ER trips this winter I finally had the ablation and it was THE BEST thing I've done! I can't begin to explain how freeing it is to not worry about an episode. The surgery was quick and fairly painless (some discomfort for a few days in my leg) and after 1 week I was back to running and cycling. I waited to lift another week so my leg felt better. I am so happy I did it. Haven't had any issues since. There have been times where you feel like it may happen but it doesn't. And as time passes those feelings decrease as well. No more useless medicine because its a complete fix. AVNRT is apparently the most common and easiest to fix.

I hope this helps. Again, I would recommend the surgery to anyone. It's given me my life back.

• Posted

Thank you. I appreciate your input. How long has it been since you had the procedure?

• Edited

I had it in January. The procedure and recovery were easy.

• Posted

i did it! Thanks for your comments. They were very helpful. I'm already very glad.

• Edited

hey! i have (now i guess can say had) AVNRT. ive only ever sufferered with 2 bad ones. i was only dignosed last november. i was put on beta blockers. i had my ablation 2 days ago and best decison ever. i was only in the cath lab 45 mins and they ablated it all. Its not as scary as you think, the going into SVT part is a bit weird! and when they pace your heart. the risks are low and rare! if i was you i would say go for it! 😃 this is coming from someone who smokes and suffers with very bad health anxiety, i now dont have to worry about meds or going into SVT!

• Posted

Thank you. I like the idea of it, but the whole thing about the possibility of coming out with a pace maker freaks me out a bit, ok, a lot. I realize it's less than a one percent chance, but it is creating a lot of anxiety for me. I'm glad you posted.

• Posted

i had my ablation. Thanks for your comments. They were helpful. Hope all is well with you.

• Edited

The comment about ablation NOT working is not true, its over 98% effective at curing AVNRT.

I had this form of SVT and had the ablation 3 years ago. THE BEST THING I DID!!

I get short runs about 1-2 SECONDS which startle me but nothing compared to before the ablation.

I would say go for it 100%. The chances of anything bad happening are very unlikely.

Good Luck!!

• Posted

Thank you. I am glad to hear that it was three years ago and all is well still. 😃

• Posted

I did it! Already so glad! Thanks for your comments. They were a big help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.