Metaprolol or ablation for svt.?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with SVT AVNRT to be exact. At first Vegal maneuvers worked but they began to stop. The episodes became more frequent and lasted longer and longer. I was offered Metaprolol or Ablation. I started Metaprolol. I am concerned about any long term effects as this seems like it's for the rest of my life. I like the option of ablation for the reason that it permanently gets rid of this, but there are risks like heart attack, stroke, death, and possibly needing a pace maker if something goes wrong. Scary. I would like to hear from people who have had the ablation and their experience.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

It's your decision to make, and I'll offer my experiences as information that might be helpful to you. My take is that ablation is quite safe, has a good to excellent chance of working, and can be a remarkable quality of life improver. It took two ablations for me, but the second has been successful. Two-plus years now without SVT, and the best quality of life I've had as an adult (I'm 72). I do understand how tough this decision is for you. It was for me, too. I wish the very best for you and hope to hear a story similar to mine from you a few months from now. Please take the best of care of yourself.

• Posted

I did it! i feel so much better. Thanks for your comment It was so helpful.

• Posted

That is wonderful news to hear. I'm remembering, right now, some of the intensely positive thoughts I had when I realised that my SVT had been cured. I very pleased to hear similar thoughts from you. Forgive my delay in responding, please. My computer decided it didn't want to allow responses to this site, and I was too inept, until now, to fix the problem. Here's wishing you well and wanting the very best for you.

• Edited

I would like to suggest to go for ablation. All procedure have risk factor and we have to take that risk for longer cure.

• Posted

Have you had the ablation procedure?

• Edited

yes, twice. The second one was successful. I still get feel the palpitation for about 5-10 minutes in every 3 or 4 months. But I am much better now than last year. My second ablation was done in February of last year.

• Posted

i had my ablation. Thanks for your comments. They helped me to make my decision.

• Posted

Well, I only lasted six days on Metaprolol. I became extremely fatigued sleeping about 16 hrs a day. I tried magnesium and no help. I am currently on a two week heart monitor to make sure all my symptoms are due to the captured AVNRT or do i have another arrhythmia. Then I will have the ablation procedure. Thanks to will who shared your experiences. It really did help.

• Edited

Update for everyone: I had the ablation Wednesday. I'm already glad I did. PAC's PVC's no longer are sending me into tachycardia. I showed up at the hospital for the ablation in tachycardia. lol I still am feeling some occasional thuds in my heart. I'm hoping they will settle down as I heal. All in all I'd do it again, but I wouldn't wait as long. My team was awesome and for all the nervousness I was experiencing before, I was calm the day of. I think I was just beyond ready. Thank you to all who shared your experiences with me. It really helped. I kept remembering that info all through the process.

To anyone reading this in the future, It is a decision you have to make, but I am so very glad I did it. I'm looking forward to getting back to life after a brief healing period. (following my dr's instructions. 😃 )

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I'm in a similar boat. I had it for years but officially diagnosed. Tried metoprolol and the fatigue was draining while I'm caring for toddlers! I'm considering ablation but so nervous.

• Posted

I have a friend who had a very successful ablation for SVT. It's up to yourself . I couldn't stand taking BB's for the rest of my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.