Methotrexate

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I have had Osteoarthritis for quite some years now, but have just recently been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and they have started me on Methotrexate which I have been taking for two weeks now, I would love to hear from anyone that has had relief from it, and how long it took before you started to feel any relief, thank-you in advance

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have Psoriatic Enthesophathy, and I am lucky enough to be able to avoid medication  for it so far, as i wanted to avoid side effects and interactions with other medication. My rheumatologist wanted to start me on some, but I held back until I had done more research.  from research I found that ginger and tumeric, combined with black pepper to help the absorbsion, are anti-inflammatories, and from experimentation I found that suger was a definite inflammatory for me.    I am not painless,  but it keeps it to a bearable level.  

It works for me.  I know that we are all different, but thought it worth sharing.   

• Posted

Thank-you for your reply Pat, is that very different to just Psoriatic Arthritis?, I always like to try herbal options if I can, and I do swear by ginger for sickness, but touch wood it hasn't made me feel sick though, but I will keep in mind your suggestions though, thank-you
    • Posted

Hi Pat,

that's interesting, I've had this nagging feeling for a while that refined sugar is not good for me. I use a lot of fresh ginger whilst cooking. Do you have any advice re dosage amounts? Thank you

• Posted

Hi Cazab,

Methotrexate works well for most folks. Please make sure you take folic acid and get your bloods checked regularly. I developed a rare reaction to Mtx and became quite poorly so take care.

• Posted

Hi Sheila

I do take a Folic Acid, I have to take one on one evening then six Methatrexate the following evening, thank-you so much for the advice, it's very much appreciated

• Posted

You're welcome, Carol. I'm glad you found this forum, you will get lots of support here, which helps enormously. Its a funny old illness, i was diagnosed in Nov 2011. Was medically retired from work in 2014. Im still getting to grips with the conditionc Some times are better than others. Please keep in touch, if you have any questions, just ask away, someone always responds. Good luck.
    • Posted

Bless you Sheila, I am so glad I found it too, everyone is so very helpful, it just makes things so much easier knowing there are other people going throught the same and so much worse too, and even if you can't off any advice as in treatments just having a kind words really helps too, I certainly will keep in touch
    • Posted

If you can stand needles try to get onto injections much better
  • Posted

Psoriatic Enthesopathy is where the tendons are affected and become inflamed. 

From trying to find out more about it, I gather that not much is known about it in England.  (My rheumatologist was German and he says more is known about it in Germany)    I could not make out whether my pain was in the bones or the joints, or neither.  And finding out that it was the tendons made sense of it.  The GP was insisting the pain was fibromyalgia because I also have ME,  but I had insisted on a rheumatology appointment.  

Different people find there bodies react to various things.  Some it seems can't eat tomatoes, but I have no problem with them.  

Hope you find what works for you.

• Posted

Hi Pat

That sounds very painful, you have my sympathy, I sure hope you manage to get some pain relief for it

• Posted

Nice to hear some one else with this problem (well not nice but you know what I mean)if I lift anything remotely heavy my hands,wrists,fingers swell and are quite painful over my tendons
    • Posted

Hi Stephen,

are you UK? I know my problem is the synovial membrane rather than a bone problem, I've never heard it called what Pat said though my symptoms match what she said. I'm just curious. ...... Thank you

• Posted

Hiya,

I was initially put on Methotrexate, it took 3 months to start working but then it did make a difference and I felt a lot better.  Unfortunately I had to stop taking it for a week as I was on antibiotics and when I went back onto Methotrexate it stopped working completely!  So don't forget to take your dose!

I went onto Enbrel after that and it also worked well, then started to not work so well so I was put back on Methotrexate, probably a year since I last took it and the combination of Methotrexate and Enbrel have kept everything under control for the last 18 months.  The Rheumatologist said that the biologics often work better when taken with Methotrexate..

I hope it all works well for you! xx

• Posted

Thank-you so much for your reply KupKake, I will keep that in mind, then at least I can mention it to them, that is if they don't, have seen a few people mention Enbrel since I have been on here xx
    • Posted

Hi carol

just a thought - have you been told to get a pneumonia vaccine? No one told me so I ended up with severe pneumonia in April 2015, I was hospitalised for over a week. The drug combo I was on (Humira and Leflunomide ) stopped working when they were re introduced in July 2015. Apparently my body had formed antibodies! Kupkake refers to a similar experience. Also make sure you get the flu vaccine in the Autumn.

• Posted

They haven't no, but we do get a the flu jab where I work usually in October, I will definitrely mention that when I have my apptointment with them on the 17th, thank-you for letting me know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.