Methotrexate and Alcohol Advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 15, I have juvenile orthopaedic arthritis and am currently on 17.5mg of methotrexate (injection), and adlimuab. I drink regurlarly on weekends, I know I'm underage, but still. I am recommended to drink around 3-4units a week however I normally have triple that, around 15-20 units. The night I drink I get pains around my ribs on the right side of my body, around my liver however its gone the day after. I take methotrexate weekly on Mondays. Any adivce on how I could still drink with minimal damage to my liver?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis even, I have had since I was 4, and been on methotrexate for around 3 years, I have only recently started drinking while taking methotrexate,
  • Posted

Hi Luke, I am sorry that you have to take MTX at all but you really shouldn't be drinking at all at 15 and the with quantities that you drink, you will be lucky to see 20.

You need help with this.  Do you have anyone you can talk to?  Are you in the UK?  If you can't talk to your parents, then call Childline or another charity for help. 

We have only just read this week, that blood tests don't always show liver disease until it is too late and scans are more reliable.

You must try to stop drinking alcohol.

Good luck Luke.

• Posted

I do hope that you are getting the benefit of methotrexate and it must be difficult for you at your age with all the dos and donts associated with this drug.  Be careful with the drinking though as I am sure you don't want to take risks.  Maybe try and reduce the alcohol closer to the recommended levels as it will be safer for you.
  • Posted

Hi Luke, I'm with Mrsmop on this. It's tough enough to have arthritis but to have a liver problem over that will be unbearable. Try cut down on the alcohol or seek help if you can't do it in your own
  • Posted

Luke, you haven't been back,  is someone helping you?  I hope so
    • Posted

Great thanks, I dont drink whatsoever, and my progress with treatment is great!
  • Posted

Hi Luke. I have also juvenile orthopaedic arthritis and I'm starting methotrexate next week. Do you have any side effects from it? And would you recomend the injection or the oral pills? Grateful for answers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.