Metoprolol Withdrawals - Switching to Cardizem CD

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've never participated in a forum like this before. But I was hoping for a help and maybe guidance from people who might actually have experience with this.

-

I have been on Metoprolol ER (200mg) for over 10 years. Just for blood pressure. I have been having increasing side effects from this med for a while. Probably at least for a couple years, and just did not know it was creeping up on me, or what was causing it. Doctors have tied other meds, including anxiety meds, to treat the way I was feeling with no really success. The side effect issues got much worse a few months ago, and I was finally able to identify that it was just the Metoprolol that was making be feel this way. Side effects: bad brain fog, anxiety, constant stress and tension in my muscles (especially back and shoulders), and any physical activity was very taxing. Plus just generally felt crappy all the time.

-

After a recent, and first time, event with afib a new cardiologist started adjusting my meds. I did get them to decrease the Metoprolol to 100mg, after adding another BP med too. That seems to help some (more at first, but less after a few weeks). I was on this lower dose for about 5 - 6 weeks.

-

Just this week, at my request for more help with the Metoprolol side effects, the cardiologist has switched me to Cardizem CD (240mg). No more Metoprolol at all.

-

First day was okay. The last couple of days my body seems to be all over the place in how it feels and reacts. My heart rate seems all over the place too. Resting, it was 71 this morning. But any activity sends it bouncing around (higher). I am having a lot of anxiety too. Some of the PRN meds that I have for that don't help much (having really different effect than when on metoprolol). Also have a pounding heart beat at times. Some early morning tachycardia ( 109-114 BPM) before taking the Cardizem CD.

-

Does anyone have experience being switched directly from Metoprolol to Cardizem CD? Especially after prolonged use at higher doses. If so, how long do the withdrawals last? This is getting tougher everyday (only on day 4).

-

I am also having some odd swallowing issues and acid reflux. I don't know if this is from the Metoprolol withdrawal or the new Cardizen med. But the swallowing this is a little scary.

-

FYI - Also on Valsartan/HTCZ

-

Thanks for any advise or comments.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Cliff

I.m going through the same thing as you except I was on Atenolol (another beta blocker.). I was also switched to Diltiazem(Cardizem) 60 mg 2xs a day... My doctor said I needed to wean off atenolol before starting the Cardizem but the doctor I had to see that day said that it was a low dose and I didn't have to wean off of it but to just start taking the Cardizem. Well that didn't go well at all . Even though I started Cardizem which is a rate control drug my heart went crazy. It would randomly start racing for no reason. All day long. I was hooked to a Holter monitor so it was all recorded. The Cardizem has done nothing to control it. The atenolol worked much better.

Its been 4 days since I haven't taken the atenolol . My heart still races anytime I do anything besides sitting down .

I tried Metoprolol but it caused me depression and anxiety. I'm not sure how long the withdrawal from Metoprolol will last . I'd like to know too. I'm hoping its not much longer.

You should tell your doctor about the swallowing issue. That would be scary.

I hope you have some improvement soon.

• Posted

Thank you for your replay. I am on day 6 now, and this afternoon as been the hardest so far for the anxiety. I am mentally not anxious at all, that I know of, but try telling that to my body.

-

I have been on this very large dose of metoprolol for about 12 years. I am almost positive that has been the main cause of my past anxiety issues. Probably depressed as well. Never had any anxiety in my life. Was always mr calm. Then bam, about 3-4 years ago the anxiety came out of no where. None of the standard anxiety meds helped at all. Just covered over what I was feeling, and maybe helped me deal with it a little. Some made it much worse.

-

Cardizem CD seems to be taking care of my heart rate. Most of the time. It still varies a whole lot more than it used to on metoprolol.

-

On the plus side, I will say that since I stopped the metoprolol all the fuzzy headed brain-cloud disappeared in a day, and I feel kind of like there is a weight lifted off my muscules. Staying off it forever does seem very promising.

-

I just have to get through the withdrawals and get stabilized on the new med. Which is why I am posting. Looking for advise on what to expect. I was on a lot of this crap every day for a really long time.

-

Here is hoping that we both feel better soon!

• Posted

Also... What my heart doc said when I asked about any possible withdrawal issues...

-

"You should not have any significant issues since starting another blocker type medication. Different than if you were just stopping the BB without the CCB"

Obviously not true....

• Posted

no..it obviously wasnt true:( I guess we should be talking to a pharmacist since they are the experts on medications and how they work. Based on what Ive read on this forum that anxiety is a side effect of weaning off of beta blockers. Ive never been an anxious or depressed person either until I started medications for my heart and blood pressure . So far the Cardizem seems ok. I get some short sharp pains in my left side of my chest every once in awhile. a mild headache and some aches and pains. ( my knee and my neck) . My heart rate on Cardizem is higher (75-85) than when I was on Atenolol .My heart rate on Atenolol was 50- 70. . My blood pressure is about the same on either medication . I see a new electrophysiologist on the 20th.. Hopefully he can tell me why my heaet is still racing all the tine.even on medication.

Hopefully your anxiety will go away as your withdrawel symptoms go away.

Keep posting:) Id like to know how you're doing.

• Edited

Yeah, getting used to my heart rate changing a lot is very different and a little un-nerving. On my large dose of metoprolol my HR never changed that much for anything. Always steady. My resting HR for the last 10+ years has been in the 50's or maybe low 60's on my old med. Very different this last week. I think my body is kind of in shock to the change.

-

I did figure out the swallowing issues. It was med related. It just seems that on my present combo of meds, that I can not take the Valsartan BP med on an empty stomach. Plus watching what else I take around that time. But it was the dose of this med that caused the issue.

• Posted

Im glad you figured out the swallowing issue! Im also having a hard time getting used to my higher heart rate. I prefer the 60-70 range lol . On Atenolol it was pretty steady also as was my blood pressure . I hope by next week things will be settled .

Hope you're having a good weekend.

• Posted

Well it is day 8 for me. I think I am getting more used to the Cardizem CD. I seem to be having less physical variations (heart rate, etc) and a little more energy.

Anxiety is still kicking my butt. Nothing to be anxious about. But I am still about as uptight at you can get most of the time. Really hard to focus on work.

I hope you are doing better.

• Posted

hello

Im doing better. Today was the first day I took my walk and didnt have a racing heart. I also went to work and my heart rate didnt exceed 110. So the Cardizem must be working ...Im glad your heart rate is settling in too. Is anxiety a side effect of Cardizem? I feel a little anxious because I never know when my heart will start racing. .and if it does will it stop on its own. Have you only had one Afib episode. ? Ive read on here that just having afib can cause an anxious feeling. What kind of job do you do? Is it stressful? I do cleaning for elderly people.. So not very stressful lol . Maybe tomorrow youll feel a little bit better. !

• Posted

I don't think the anxiety is coming from the Cardizem. I've had it developing over the last few years. As I said, I never had anything like it before. I honestly think it was caused by the metoprolol (my sleep improved and became more relaxed within a day of stopping the BB). Now it is just continuing on its own. Plus I have only been off the BB for a week, after been on them for over 15 years.

-

But I have an appointment tomorrow to talk about the anxiety issues.

-

My job is not that stressful at this point. I have been working 100% remote for the last year.

• Posted

I hope you get some answers tomorrow at your appointment..(about your anxiety)

I started getting anxiety when I was diagnosed with AFib. I may have to get medication although thats the last thing I want to do. I started seeing a counselor a couple months ago.

Im glad you are sleeping better:) That helps. when I was taking the Atenolol I woke up every night at 4 am. and couldnt get back to sleep. On Cardizem I can sleep till 5 or 6 now.

• Posted

If you can ID the source of you anxiety, and deal with that fear I would definitely stay off any meds. When I first started having any issues with anxiety the first thing they did was give me meds (instead of looking for the reason). Taking most of the meds just made it worse. They changed the anxiety from an occasional thing to a daily thing because the meds effected me everyday. Wish I had never started with them back then. Been off them for last couple of years, with just one new med trial (including many months with very little issues).

My sleep has been getting worse and worse of the last year or two. Thought is was just age. In the last year I woke at 5am most days, and had started waking at 4am a lot in the last couple of months. Before I this I was always a sound sleeper and late riser. Now I know it was the metoproplol. So, I REALLY hope the sleep keeps improving.

Good luck!

• Edited

Hi Cliff,

Have you checked out about Choline and CCBs. Anticholineergic. Is Cardizem CD a calcium Channel Blocker. have a read about Choline Cliff. might help good luck

• Posted

Yes, Cardizem is a calcium channel blocker. They are whiching me from a BB (metoprolol) to the CCB. This was due to side effects after long term, high dosage, use of the metoprolol.

I have just made the med change. The Cardizem CD was the recommendation of my cardiologist.

• Posted

Hi Cliff , I have only just found out, About CCBs i myself long term taking them, But never knew that they can cause Fatty Liver disease, non alcohol , As i don't drink, If they block calcium getting into blood , Does that mean calcium builds up in the liver, And interferes with Choline , Is it a lack of Choline that is causing all the tiredness, aches pains, , On reading about Choline it is a essential thing that we need . Thanks for replying Cliff.

• Posted

Very interesting Anthony. I am going to have to look that up. I'm on Cardizem too and Ive been getting aches and pains in my left knee and my neck .

How long have you been on Cardizem? What side effects do you have?

• Posted

All the meds have side effects and everyone reacts differently. I think it all about just picking your poison, and which sits best with you (on side effects). I've been on the BB "poison" for over 15 years, and I never want to go back if I can help it.

• Posted

Hi Lillyz28,

Cardizem is just a brand name for Diltiazem , i myself not on Cardizem it is my wife, She as been taking diltiazem for years , but just recently bad trouble with her bowels ,transit time and has to do manual evacuation poop rock hard, plus her stomach always looks like she is pregnant, she as tried all the remedies for evacuation ,stool softeners, lactose, ect ect. This just me thinking but does Calcium channel blockers effect the Choline , i thought without choline the para nerve system ,may be not working so well . i might be wrong but i thought i would ask on her behalf , just to see by asking people on patient if they no any better , , thank

for replying Lilly

• Posted

Ive noticed since I started diltiazem that I have severe constipation. which causes stomach bloating. I use liquid Magnesium Citrate in a glass bottle that is at Walmart or any drug store for around a dollar. IT REALLY works. to get everything moving.

I researched Choline It is found in lots of food . So if Diltiazem depletes it then Id think eating more foods with Choline would help.

I never want to be on another beta blocker either .. I agree that all medications have side effects.

I recieved a call from my cardiologist's office saying he needs me to make an appointment to see him since my holter monitor results werent good. I knew I had Afib but now I have Rapid Ventricular Response also which probably means more medication.

If you're not on Cardizem do you take a different medication?

• Posted

here are some foods high in Choline:

Whole eggs. Eggs are one of the best sources of choline, with 1 egg providing 147 mg. ...

Organ meat. Organ meat like liver and kidneys are some of the best sources of choline. ...

Caviar. Fish roe, or caviar, is an excellent source of choline. ...

Fish. ...

Shiitake mushrooms. ...

Soybeans. ...

Beef. ...

Wheat germ.

These are just some of the foods with Choline ...there are more .

• Posted

Just a quick comment. I have also had a lot of constipation since starting Cardizem. Here's hope that goes away with time too (as our bodies adjust).

• Posted

Hi Lilly,

Have you tried any Natural Calcium Channel Blockers , According to Dr Google on many web pages we Need Calcium it is a electric voltage , And blocking it might cause more harm than good, Muscles don't work so good , Can't sleep at night, Wake up as if got Fibromyalgia , then tired all day due to lack of sleep, You would not believe how many Mattresses pillows i have bought blaming the bed makers , even chairs ,dry mouth is big one for me, plus ankle swelling feet look like Frodo from Lord of the Ring, lol

• Edited

Hi lily

I have just remembered a Funny Story about Eggs ,and Choline , Few years ago due to taking Calcium Channel blockers, plus BP meds had to have Piles removed due to constant Constipation ,kept pooping just Rabbit droppings, In the next Bed to me was a 30 year old man .who his wife had left him , he too going to have his Piles fixed ,He could not cook so all he ever eat was Eggs day & night .His stomach look liked a big boiled Egg . i had mine done first, but he went down to surgery but came back not done, Because the Surgeon had fainted and spit his head open on the floor, Due to the Smell of rotten eggs. i believe one of the nurses was violently sick first then Dr must have felt faint and slipped on the sick ,

• Posted

Hi Lilly

The tolerable uptake of Choline is 3.500mg thats a lot of Eggs

• Posted

No, I haven't tried any natural calcium channel blockers. Have you? My neck and my left knee hurt now and I have a slight headache most days.

I don't sleep well at night either. I wake up every morning at 4 am and cant get back to sleep . I'm tired all day too.

If I don't drink alot of water my mouth is very dry. I haven't gotten swollen ankles yet. I hope I don't. Frodo does have some chubby ankles 😃

• Posted

That is a funny story! I wouldnt have wanted to be the doctor or nurse. I love eggs but dont like the smell of them. especially hard boiled:)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.