Metoprolol Withdrawals - Switching to Cardizem CD

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've never participated in a forum like this before. But I was hoping for a help and maybe guidance from people who might actually have experience with this.

-

I have been on Metoprolol ER (200mg) for over 10 years. Just for blood pressure. I have been having increasing side effects from this med for a while. Probably at least for a couple years, and just did not know it was creeping up on me, or what was causing it. Doctors have tied other meds, including anxiety meds, to treat the way I was feeling with no really success. The side effect issues got much worse a few months ago, and I was finally able to identify that it was just the Metoprolol that was making be feel this way. Side effects: bad brain fog, anxiety, constant stress and tension in my muscles (especially back and shoulders), and any physical activity was very taxing. Plus just generally felt crappy all the time.

-

After a recent, and first time, event with afib a new cardiologist started adjusting my meds. I did get them to decrease the Metoprolol to 100mg, after adding another BP med too. That seems to help some (more at first, but less after a few weeks). I was on this lower dose for about 5 - 6 weeks.

-

Just this week, at my request for more help with the Metoprolol side effects, the cardiologist has switched me to Cardizem CD (240mg). No more Metoprolol at all.

-

First day was okay. The last couple of days my body seems to be all over the place in how it feels and reacts. My heart rate seems all over the place too. Resting, it was 71 this morning. But any activity sends it bouncing around (higher). I am having a lot of anxiety too. Some of the PRN meds that I have for that don't help much (having really different effect than when on metoprolol). Also have a pounding heart beat at times. Some early morning tachycardia ( 109-114 BPM) before taking the Cardizem CD.

-

Does anyone have experience being switched directly from Metoprolol to Cardizem CD? Especially after prolonged use at higher doses. If so, how long do the withdrawals last? This is getting tougher everyday (only on day 4).

-

I am also having some odd swallowing issues and acid reflux. I don't know if this is from the Metoprolol withdrawal or the new Cardizen med. But the swallowing this is a little scary.

-

FYI - Also on Valsartan/HTCZ

-

Thanks for any advise or comments.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am just starting today with the calcium channel blocker Dilitiazam, after stopping metoprolol yesterday and came here to see how people react to switching. I take it for an irregular heartbeat and may have had two past heart attacks because the T waves on my ECG have gone from regular to flattened to inverted over the years. I am now in my 50s. I am wondering if anyone is still available to say how it went with their switch from the beta blocker to the calcium channel blocker?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.