Metropolol 25mg once a day ?????

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello to all again.

I have recently been dx with SVT. Since I was dx I have had a 24hr Heart Halter that showed Tachycardic events. I had a Echocardiogram that was normal and a Stress Test that was also normal , only thing the stress test showed was that my heart rate went up fast doing very little but normal otherwise. I sufder from bad allergies and they started to flair up yesterday and I woke up completely sick. Sore throat, ears popping, nasal congestion and a low grade fever of 99.7. When I woke up today and got dressed to go to work I notice my pulse felt high. I took a reading of it at 7:30 am and it was at 123bpm. I let it go left for work but kept a eye on it. It never went down so since this is new to me I called my Cardiologyst on my lunch hour and originally I had a appointment for Wednesday but ended up being seen today instead. Upon arrival I got my vitals taken my pulse was at 143bpm that made the nurse double look at it. I got another EKG done Lol but as always normal. So my Cardiologyst came in read me the results of all my testing and told me that everything looks normal so my heart is healthy, good and normal. He told me that I produce to much adrenaline I guess. He cleared me to do exercise 😊 and said that exercising would help the tachycardia but He also prescribed me Metropolol 25mg once a day. I was reading side effects and became scared. My dr told me that He was only going to have me on this for a short while to see how it helps. So the question is and sorry for the long story. Have or are any of you guys taken metropolol? How has it worked for you guys? The side effects do scare me. I also suffer from Asthma and did told my Dr about it but he told me that as long as I'm not weezing I should be ok. Any advice guys? Have any of you gotten or experience any side effects? First dose will be tomorrow but am freaking out about it. Thank you to all again.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ruth,

I am on Metoprolol..the list of side effects are always worrisome..but I never had any problems with it..the only thing I ever experienced was tiredness, when my Dr. increased my dosage..so I went back to a lesser dose..25mg is a very low, you should be fine : )

• Posted

Hi Paullie

Thank you for your reply. I truly appreciate it. I'm starting to feel more at ease with taking the meds. I might wait till I pass the cold I'm going through right now but thank you so much. It truly helps to hear someone else's experience with the medication. Do you suffer from Asthma and take it?

• Posted

No I don't have asthma..I hope youre feeling better from your cold soon..I hear you, it's always comforting to talk with others who know what you're going through!
  • Posted

I'm on Metropolol 25 mg and it has been a nightmare! About a month ago I was having tachycardia and the Er doc prescribed me the med until I can have my echo, stress test, holter monitor. I go today for the tests. I'm always tired with cold feet. I feel like I have the flu. Very fatigued. Hopefully I can get off this med very soon.
  • Posted

Metoprolol slows the conduction through the heart so will slow your pulse.  It's a very common medication used for SVT as it can prevent episodes or sometimes convert them.  I find it makes me drowsy and dopey and slows my already slow pulse down too low  (like down to 50bpm) and makes it hard to function.  It's not a dangerous drug though - it's extensively used for high blood pressure in the elderly.

No freaking out necessary.  You need less stress, not more.  NB your problem isn't related to SVT which is a disorder of electrical conduction.

• Edited

I was put on metoprolol when I was diagnosed with SVT 18 months ago.  It works great for me.  I rarely have a SVT anymore at all.  I don't really notice any side effects.  I was tired for the first week or two when I first started taking it but that went away.  I have lots of energy and feel great.  I am very active and exercise.  I am taking a low dose.  I take 25 mg per day but I break them in half.  So I take 12.5 mg when I first wake up and then again in the evening. 
    • Posted

i was just put on the same dose for svt I'm sooo tired. Thanks for posting. I'll give it a few weeks to see if I get use to it. if I don't I'm going to tell my dr I want to stop .

• Edited

Thank you all for the feedback. It truly helps to hear all of your experiences with this medication and diagnosis that although is not life threatening it can create a anxious habit and affect the quality of life we live. I have not started taking the meds just yet. I'm not so much afraid of the side effects while taking the meds. What concerns me most is getting off of it. My Cardiologyst told me he only wanted me on this for a short time and said He will see me again in 6months because my heart otherwise is healthy. I'm afraid of mu body and heart getting used to the meds and then suddenly stop and my heart go on a flip. So I have been searching and found that Magnesium supplements can help with palpitations, PVC, PAC etc. So I'm going to give that a go first and see how it works along with exercise and proper diet and just trusting God and the fact that my heart is healthy. Have any of you tried Magnesium supplements? Do you guys think I'm choosing right by not taking the Metoprolol? Of course I know that I should ask my Cardiologyst which I plan to but I wanted to hear you guys thought on it. Thank you again.
    • Edited

Hi Ruth! I know this all so scary and I'm new to this also. I'm 33 and my problems started a month ago when I was exercising. After the exercise my heart started pounding and going real fast for a few minutes then it stopped. The next day I started feeling lightheaded and having more palps so I went to the Er. They did all kinds of tests even a ct angiogram for a blood clot. Everything was normal and they gave me the Metropolol to go home with. A few days later I had an episode again and went back to the ER once again clean bill of health. Finally I see a cardiologist and got an echo which came back normal my stress test I only did 6 min before they stopped it my Hr went up to 165. This is my thing I get so nervous and anxious when I have to go to the doc or even when they talk to me my HR goes up. Any little thing sets me off in panic mode. So I don't know if it's anxiety or what. I'm still on the Metropolol and the side effects are getting better but my cardiologist gave me Cardizem. I don't know what to do I feel I'm in a nightmare or in someone else's body. I just want all of this to go away! Very Scary for your HR to go up to 160.
    • Posted

I feel you Nikki. But we can rest by knowing that at least our hearts are ok. Theres always a Cardiac Ablation but I don't think my Cardiologyst wants that for me at the moment. This is why I don't want to medicate my heart if is healthy like they tell me. I want to find a more natural way to do it. My Hear Rate has never gone as high as most people in this forum. Its been in the 160-165 doing absolutely nothing but that happened once. My heart rate is alway if not in the 90's may 110-116 at rest it goes in th 80's or so. I too get anxious talking and going to Dr's. My stress test my heart rate went as high as 182bpm but I finished the test to my knowledge. But I was told the same as you that all my labs and test where normal. I got checked for clots too and all normal. I'm just taking it one step at a time and trying not to stress it my Faith truly helps and I find peace in that but I really dont want to go on meds. I want to first see if the magnesium helps. Stay strong though. There's always a rainbow after the storm 😊🌈
    • Posted

Thanks because I feel like this is a storm I'm going through and God will bring me through it.
    • Posted

That He will. It does get better though. I was dx February 3rd 2 days before my Birthday. I got in a bit of a depression mode, I was checking my pulse every minute, I would cry a lot. I lost 10lbs in a week but I can honestly say that it has gotten better. I still worry and every so often check my pulse but is like my husband tells me is all mind over matter. Some of us have diabetes, some of us have high blood pressures, Some are completely healthy this is just our ordeal but We must trust that we are ok and continue to live life and enjoy every minute of it 😊
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm just scared. I'm a young woman who wants to a have a baby in the next few years. My dilemma is that I don't live close to family and I'm thinking about moving closer even though I was thinking that before all of this happened.
    • Posted

I also want kids. My husband and I are planning for kids at the end of this year but I asked my Cardiologyst and He told me you can have kids no problem with this condition. Family support does help. I'm fortunate to have my husband and Parents along with siblings next to me whom have all been real supportive and understanding.
    • Posted

I am a Nurse and Midwife who has been managing SVT since I was a kid  (I'm now 43).   I went through a twin pregnancy a few years ago with absolutely no problems.  In fact when I had a run of SVT it was easier than ever to convert to normal with a valsalva because of all the internal pressure I could apply with a belly full of babies.  I was a bit concerned than pushing the babies out might set off an episode but it didn't... 3.5 hours of pushing two babies out and no SVT whatsoever.

The most important thing to remember is that your heart is NORMAL and there is just a glitch in the electrical wiring.  You can do whatever you want with your life without limitation.  I get really surprised by all the anxiety I see on these pages!

• Posted

Hi Poppy, Since you've had this for quite a while now how did you learned to cope with the symptoms? Is your heart rate high even when your not on a SVT attack? Did or have you ever consider a Ablation or do you take any meds for it like Metoprolol? If you have any tips that can help I would appreciate it. Thanks 😊
    • Posted

No my heart rate is not high without SVT - general tachycardia is not a symptom of SVT and I'm guessing that if your ECG is normal then you haven't been diagnosed with SVT.

I am considering an ablation (was offered one a few years ago but declined) simply because of the inconvenience of having an episode and how it interrupts work or study.  Being a single Mum I often need to find care for my kids if it won't convert on its own.  I usually give it 2 hours, sometimes up to 4 hours to convert on its own but I'm in the ER too frequently now needing conversion with Adenosine which is pretty unpleasant and also requires a stay of 2 - 3 hours in the ER which pretty much stuffs up my day.  As I said earlier, I do take Metroprolol when an episode starts and sometimes it will help convert it. It's better taken daily as a preventative though but I don't like the side effects and am not keen to take any medication daily for something I don't have daily symptoms for.

People with SVT have a heart that functions quite normally while they are not in a episode.  They also have an abnormal ECG while they are tachycardic and that abnormal rhythm means that there is reduced cardiac output - the heart cannot take in and push out enough blood to keep the body working well so there can be chest pain, dizziness, fainting, headache  etc.  It is not the same in any way as sinus tachycardia (heart beating normally but too quickly), which is what it sounds like you have.

• Posted

Thank you. My ECG have all been normal. My 24hr heart halter report per my Cardiologyst said I was having SVT. I do get the dizziness along with some shortness of breath but like I mentioned my heart rate has never reached the 200's. Hmmm I guess is just more to talk about with my Cardiologyst. This past Monday I saw them and I was at the office doing nothing and my heart rate was at 143 while getting vitals done. They did a ECG and it was normal but the heart rate was at 129bpm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.