Metropolol 25mg once a day ?????

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello to all again.

I have recently been dx with SVT. Since I was dx I have had a 24hr Heart Halter that showed Tachycardic events. I had a Echocardiogram that was normal and a Stress Test that was also normal , only thing the stress test showed was that my heart rate went up fast doing very little but normal otherwise. I sufder from bad allergies and they started to flair up yesterday and I woke up completely sick. Sore throat, ears popping, nasal congestion and a low grade fever of 99.7. When I woke up today and got dressed to go to work I notice my pulse felt high. I took a reading of it at 7:30 am and it was at 123bpm. I let it go left for work but kept a eye on it. It never went down so since this is new to me I called my Cardiologyst on my lunch hour and originally I had a appointment for Wednesday but ended up being seen today instead. Upon arrival I got my vitals taken my pulse was at 143bpm that made the nurse double look at it. I got another EKG done Lol but as always normal. So my Cardiologyst came in read me the results of all my testing and told me that everything looks normal so my heart is healthy, good and normal. He told me that I produce to much adrenaline I guess. He cleared me to do exercise 😊 and said that exercising would help the tachycardia but He also prescribed me Metropolol 25mg once a day. I was reading side effects and became scared. My dr told me that He was only going to have me on this for a short while to see how it helps. So the question is and sorry for the long story. Have or are any of you guys taken metropolol? How has it worked for you guys? The side effects do scare me. I also suffer from Asthma and did told my Dr about it but he told me that as long as I'm not weezing I should be ok. Any advice guys? Have any of you gotten or experience any side effects? First dose will be tomorrow but am freaking out about it. Thank you to all again.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on Metropolol for a month now. I can tell you it's been a long month! I still have palpitations but I have to take the meds on time every 12 hours or I will feel my heart start racing and get anxiety. The side effects the first week were horrible but I had to push myself to go on then they went away. The side effects came back the third week and now they have went away somewhat. I feel weak and tired mostly but I still can function. Sometimes I get slight chest pain or a headache. I really would like to take something for my headaches like Tylenol but I'm so afraid to mix anything with the Metropolol since I live alone. Sometimes I get cold hands and feet and sometimes my feet are hot.
  • Posted

My advice is dont take the Metroprolol. Your problem is lack of exercise and your heart is not conditioned. This same exact thing happenned to me at 18. My problem was alot worse trust me my heart would go 200+ bpm from walking one block. The doctors saw my heart was normal and tried to give me beta blockers but i made the mistake and tried them. They gave me these pvc's that i still get today and i did not have them prior to the meds. Remember those meds are for people that are dying of heart disease so doctors sometimes choose to be versatile with them. Exercise, improve diet, magnesium, potassium. You'll remember this post.
    • Posted

After those beta blockers induced the pvc's and svt that i never had i chose to stop them immediately. I was even getting chest pains afterwards along with shortness of breath etc do yourself a favor and dont take them. Dont make the same mistake i did. Thankfully i have recovered with a good diet and everything i told u but who knows if the pvc's will ever go away. I regret choosing the meds and you will too so just take the natural route and forget the docs. You will be thankful i told you this
    • Posted

That's what the cardiologist told me that I was not conditioned to exercise. My question why all of a sudden now when I have been exercising off and on my whole life. Now I'm scared to exercise.
    • Posted

My tachycardia and heart problem started when i became severely inactive. I use to walk alot and i regret sitting on my ass for nearly 2-3 years thats what caused my problem in the first place.The exercise has to be consistent, thats the issue. Start by walking alot more or exercises where your heart wont race. Dont be scared trust me you'll be fine. Your heart is healthy and it will not stop at all, its almost literally impossible. You just have to have confidence in your heart. You might have something called POTS that most doctors arent aware of. Its when your heart beats really fast after standing up when you were sitting down or just beating fast in general. You dont have SVT and you dont want to provoke that neither. What you should do is exercise on your good days because im pretty sure the heart is not beating fast 24/7 so on your good days you can exercise alot and you will notice the difference after you apply this method. The only way you will beat this is by conditioning your heart and now is the perfect time. Start doing alot of curl ups, pushups, mainly exercises you know you can do. I am now 19 and my heart doesnt beat fast anymore after telling you what i mainly did. I do still get the occasional pvc's and thats because of the beta blockers i tried under advice of doctors. Taking meds will just make things much worse i was even experiencing angina at one point just like someone else described. Be smart and i hope you can recover fast. Remember to stay active and avoid anything your heart or body doesnt need (beta blockers).
    • Posted

i'm sorry i thought you were op. If you have anxiety i would say you might benefit with beta blockers. Metoprolol 25 mg wasnt the medication that caused the svt and pvc's. It was the Bystolic and Atenolol. Metoprolol actually had me relaxed alot of times but like i said before if your heart is healthy your heart will respond to the medication by either chest pain, which i experienced with metoprolol at times although i didnt have major problems with it, and svt or pvc is another indicator. Sometimes you might think doctors know it all but at the same time they will also try to make money from you and you have to be your own doctor at all times. Its a lesson learned. I was even offered a ablation after having pvc and svt that were caused my beta blockers. Can you think of how crazy that sounds? Its like inducing heart disease on yourself had i got a ablation that i didnt need and god forbid needed a pacemaker. Sorry for the rants though i just dont like seeing people make the same mistakes i made. Good luck and take care.
  • Posted

Thanks again for all your replies. I believe everything everyone has mentioned is true. I guess everyone is different and similar at the same time. We all get the same symptoms from time to time but we deal with it differently. I myself was going over my test results and found that what I have is a mix of SVT, IST, and some PVC's. IST which is Inappropriate Synus Tachycardia is what makes more sense to after having read through it all more in detail. I will definitely not be taking the Metoprolol at least not now. I'm going to try Magnesium Supplements and life style changes like diet and exercise and keep a positive mind and just kick Stress and Anxieties butt Lol. At the end of the day our hearts are ok is just learning to live with symptoms and hope that they go away. I advice as Im doing myself to ask as many questions as you can to truly understand the definition of your condition because once you fully understand it it truly helps the peace of mind.
    • Posted

Ruth how are you today with this inappropriate sinus tachycardia? I have it and I am struggling on the metoprolol badly and need off but scared to get off... I pray you are still active on here.. would love to chat with someone with this and get a better understanding on how to manage.

• Posted

And by asking questions I mean to your Cardiologyst or in the case of SVT and IST a Electrophysiologyst. 😊💪💓💝✊👭👬👫
    • Posted

I have only been diagnosed with sinus tachycardia and palpitations. I have no arrhythmia just a fast heart beat. I have to wear a 30 day monitor soon. I'm going to get another opinion from an Electrophysiologist.
    • Posted

Just wondering, do most of you have a Cardiologist and a Electrophysiologist??
    • Posted

I only have a Cardiologist at the moment but I'm going to see an Electrophysiologist also. Maybe he can give me more answers.
    • Posted

Sorry if this post twice, I too have only a cardio dr but I think I'ld like to get an opinion from an expert in the field of our hearts electrical system.
  • Posted

I only have a Cardiologyst too but was looking into seeing a Electrophysiologist. I believe they are the Dr to see when you have heart rhythm disturbances.
    • Posted

Yes I think it's beneficial to see both. I'm going make an appt too 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.