Metropolol 25mg once a day ?????

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello to all again.

I have recently been dx with SVT. Since I was dx I have had a 24hr Heart Halter that showed Tachycardic events. I had a Echocardiogram that was normal and a Stress Test that was also normal , only thing the stress test showed was that my heart rate went up fast doing very little but normal otherwise. I sufder from bad allergies and they started to flair up yesterday and I woke up completely sick. Sore throat, ears popping, nasal congestion and a low grade fever of 99.7. When I woke up today and got dressed to go to work I notice my pulse felt high. I took a reading of it at 7:30 am and it was at 123bpm. I let it go left for work but kept a eye on it. It never went down so since this is new to me I called my Cardiologyst on my lunch hour and originally I had a appointment for Wednesday but ended up being seen today instead. Upon arrival I got my vitals taken my pulse was at 143bpm that made the nurse double look at it. I got another EKG done Lol but as always normal. So my Cardiologyst came in read me the results of all my testing and told me that everything looks normal so my heart is healthy, good and normal. He told me that I produce to much adrenaline I guess. He cleared me to do exercise 😊 and said that exercising would help the tachycardia but He also prescribed me Metropolol 25mg once a day. I was reading side effects and became scared. My dr told me that He was only going to have me on this for a short while to see how it helps. So the question is and sorry for the long story. Have or are any of you guys taken metropolol? How has it worked for you guys? The side effects do scare me. I also suffer from Asthma and did told my Dr about it but he told me that as long as I'm not weezing I should be ok. Any advice guys? Have any of you gotten or experience any side effects? First dose will be tomorrow but am freaking out about it. Thank you to all again.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My cardiologist put me on metoprolol as well. I suffered extreme fatigue and shortness of breath as well as constant PVCs when on this medicine. I was switched to Cardizem 180mg after my ablation because the PVCs never stopped and also because of my asthma. I'm now on Cardizem 240mg with no PVCs but like you have my heart rate jumping very quickly with minimal exercise. The issue with rapidly increasing heart rate has been ongoing since my last major PSVT attack but the doctors are reluctant to label it as IST. I am really worried that the frequent high heart rate ( with normal BP) is going to eventually damage my heart.
    • Posted

I could relate alot to your situation aside from the part that i have taken meds or have ablated my heart. Metoprolol induced pvc's on me and also the shortness of breath was very bad. My heart is almost always beating fast and im 19. Last time i saw a cardiologist and got tests done was nearly a year ago when my heart was fast but it felt like a good solid pump, and i could tell you its almost a year later and i feel my heart beating very differently. It has gotten more sluggish and beats harder from consistent tachycardia i believe. I'm not sure if my heart has gotten enlarged or its just beating very hard because of other symptoms going on in my body. My heart did not look nowhere near enlarged in a x ray about 4 months ago so i should be on the safe side as far as having tachycardia induced cardiomyopathy after a year of uncontrolled tachycardia (100+bpm). I could certainly tell you i have noticed the change in my heart from it beating so fast (my heart beats hard and slow when i get startled) im not entirely sure if i have electrical damage because i have had svt i know this because my heart would go into fast mode but its never lasted more than 30 seconds. I would advise you to check up with your doc because i think i have some type of heart damage after having high heart rates for such a long time. Although, only time and nutrition will tell but its something you should ask about with your doc.
  • Posted

It's sounds like some of you feel that from taking metoprolol, it has contributed to chest pain, shortness of breath and PVC's. Is this after you've been on it for some time?
    • Posted

For me the PVCs and shortness of breath started immediately. My doctor said that they have seen the same in other patients. My daughter just has high blood pressure and she had absolutely no side effects from metoprolol except for fatigue the first month. It makes me wonder if some people are just susceptible or if it's not such a great drug for SVT. My blood pressure was normal before and after being diagnosed with SVT. Cardizem works so much better for me.
    • Posted

I have fatigue and heavy limbs some days with Metropolol. I only have palpitations and fast heart rate. My doc gave me Cardizem also but I'm afraid to take it.
  • Posted

I scheduled a appointment for May 4th with a Electrophysiologist. While making the appointment they seemed to be familiar with the condition. I for the moment am not taking any meds and will choose not too if I can first figure out a way to help my symptoms. At the end of the day at least for me, I know my heart is ok. So is mostly symptom management. I'm for the moment just living life and leaving the rest to God. I have a feeling that after a while this all will pass and if not symptoms will get better. Medication has been proven to make some symptoms worst in some patients and for some it works great. I'm just not willing to take the risk for the moment until I fully understand my conditions and all of my treatment options. I shall post again and let you all know how it goes with the electrophysiologist and if I can be of any help with any information provided to me than great.
  • Posted

I'm still trying and learning how to figure all this out. Here is some information that I found enlightening. There is always the approach of doing nothing of course if you can tolerate the symptoms and they aren't to frequent and disturbing. Symptoms do get better over time. The link provided talks about Inappropriate Synus Tachycardia (IST) hope it brings some calm to your hearts. http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/IST_2.htm
    • Posted

I never heard of IST..just SVT..thx for sharing the link😊
  • Posted

Hello to all 😊

As promised I wanted to f/u with you guys on how my appointment with my Electrophysiologist went. I met with him Yesterday and after reviewing my history He told me he agrees with my General Cardiologyst. My final diagnosis is Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia with some SVT events. So what is it? Is like SVT except that my heart is always fast. In the 90's Low 100's or above. With SVT you get episodes of fast heart rates but your heart rate otherwise is in the normal range. He took time to listen to me and answered all my questions. In my case ablation is not recommended. This condition is still bit life threatening. He explain that the only reason why they treat it is to control symptoms and improve quality of life of the patient. He told me to give the Metoprolol a chance. He reassured me that it's a low dose and if I get a side effect he said we can simply change it or adjust it. He told me to increase my water and salt intake. I have no restriction. I can even do roller coasters Lol. So the appointment went really good. I left feeling more at ease and well. I would advice to all to write your questions down and be truly open with your doctor. They will listen and at the end can come up with the best care plan to treat your condition. SVT and IST can be misdiagnosed since they are very similar. Find out and make sure which is the one you truly have. I hope you all are doing well 😊

• Posted

So glad your appt went well and your Dr answered all your questions...I'm not familiar with IST...hope the metoprolol works well for you..that's what I'm on.
  • Posted

* Not life threateningπŸ˜‰ Typo
  • Posted

I've been on metoprolol for 20+ years, Ruth. It does help me with my "ectopics", and it seems to help keep my blood pressure under control. I'm not fond of pharmaceuticals, but this one has worked well for me. I wish you well, and take the best of care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.