Microvascular Decompression

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hi im new to this forum. I am due to get the microvascular decompression operation in a few months to cure my trigeminal neuralgia. I am wondering if anyone has had this op because i would like to know a bit about recovery etc... I know about the operation itself as i have researched it and even watched the operation online but i would like to know about after the op. Thank you

4 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had the operation on 21 June at Frenchay Hospital. It has been a fantastic success. The worst

part was the effect of the general anaesthetic (vomiting) later that night. I felt no pain or discomfort - no need for paracetamol even. I was discharged after 48hours and told to report to my GPs' surgery to have the 27

staples removed after a week. As well as staples over the cut there were 4 on the top of my head which had been screwed to the operating table to keep me motionless. I was td mnot to wash my hair for 3/4 days and than to use a mild shampoo eg Simple.The actual scar is about 5cm long and is now covered by hair. If

you watched the american film on YouTube you know what's in store!. There is also an

old TV series made in 2006 called Brain Doctors about the pioneering work of the Bristol Frenchay hospital.

I hope this may be of some use.

Good Luck I'm sure you won't regret it.

• Posted

Hi cfb

It has been over a year since your operation... Are you still happy and totally pain free?

• Posted

Hi Barbara. It is 4 years since I had my MVD at Frenchay,Bristol under Nik Patel. It has been an outstanding success. From that day I haven't had a single twinge. I feel very lucky & can't praise the medical staff enough.  
    • Posted

I had mvd in 2009. At James Cook Hospital in Middlesborough. Not had any twinge since.
  • Posted

Could you tell me where Frenchay hospital is please and whether it was private or nhs as this is possible surgery that could help my daughter

Thank you

I hope surgery goes well for you

• Posted

Frenchay Hospital is an NHS hospital in Bristol. It has a very good reputation in MVD surgeries, both for HFS and TN sufferers. I had my MVD surgery done at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in central London. I was operated on Tuesday morning and discharged on Sunday that same week. It was a lot less painful than I imagined. At no time did my pain level go above 4-5 on a scale of 1 to 10. An oral dose of morphine takes away whatever pain there was within minutes. I was able to walk unaided from day 1 post-surgery. By day 8 I did not need any more painkiller. Fully recovered physically within 2 months, but unfortunately my spasms remain although about 30-40% better than pre-surgery.
  • Posted

Hi

I had TN for 5 years steadily getting worse and worse untill i couldnt function with the pain and drugs.

I had my MVD in july 2011 and all went well initially.

But due to some complications i contracted meningitus. 4 lumbar punctures and 2 weeks in hospital later i was fine no symptoms no TN and off the tablets.

Now nearly two years later i have started to have the occasional "Shock and pain" this time on the same side but in my front teeth and top lip. I am so so worried, dont know how i will cope if it develops into what it was two years ago, off to the Docs. tomorrow to see my options.

• Posted

What a terrible story Neilupand down. I do hope you can sort things out.It sounds as if the nerves covering

the front of the face are affected.

I had my MVD operation in June 2011 at Frenchay hospital, Bristol and touching wood and crossing

everything I haven't had any pain since then. The operation was 100% successful. I am so grateful to

everyone who made it possible.

In passing I would like to add that the side effects of the medication (Tegritol first & then Trileptal) that I took

for 3 years before the operation, have finally disappeared. My memory is back to what it used to be (!) and I

no longer fall over.

• Posted

My wife had an MVD 15 months ago by a surgeon from Frenchay and has been fine since. Living in Wales, we could not get referred to Bristol Frenchay so went private at Bristol Spire. Surgeon was great.
    • Posted

suffered TN for 6 years. TN now in 2 branches of the nerve - waiting to see welsh neurosurgeon. Did you pay privately for the MVD surgery as well as the initial consultation in Bristol and approximately what are the costs. Heard excellent reports of MVD surgery in Bristol. Thanks
  • Posted

I love hearing about the many successes of getting surgery. I had a different surger  because of the MS problem.  It was a radiofrequency surgery where they put a needle into my cheek and "fried" the affected trigeminal nerve, the one in my jaw.  They burned it once a year ago, it came back and they did it again harder (hotter) and it is doing great so far. It has been 8 months of painfree so far.  The doc who did it is very experienced and has done lots of these plus the one you guys had.  I am in the US (Oregon).  i like that people are getting help in the UK.  I like hearing success stories.  It is good for the soul.  Thanks for sharing everyone.
  • Posted

Hi LoopyLee, the surgeon we had was Nik Patel who has done over 200 of these MVDs. Its not cheap, 2 years ago we forked out in the region of £15000 overall including scans, consultations and the op. Nik operated out of Frenchays (NHS) as well as Spire (private). Do all your own research and contact the Trigeminal Nuearlgia Association and be sure its what you need and want. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Since the op, my wife gets occasional 'twinges' which I put down to the nerve, which is a huge bundle of fibres, destressing itself from the days it was being pushed out of shape by the blood vessels. (3 in my wifes case).

Go here for a nice story

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread2052.html

Yet another example of the mess the Welsh NHS is in.

• Posted

I HOPE YOUR OPERATION WAS A SUCCESS.  i HAVE JUST UNDERGONE THIS 2 WEEKS AGO. aa GOOD RECOVERY SO FAR ALL BUT NUMBNESS TO FACE PAIN FREE SO FAR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.