Microvascular Decompression

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hi im new to this forum. I am due to get the microvascular decompression operation in a few months to cure my trigeminal neuralgia. I am wondering if anyone has had this op because i would like to know a bit about recovery etc... I know about the operation itself as i have researched it and even watched the operation online but i would like to know about after the op. Thank you

4 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

On 6th June 2011 I had a MVD operation at Bristol Frenchay Hospital on the NHS. It was performed by Mr Nik Patel., and has been 100% successful. Not a single twinge since then.  Fantastic!
  • Posted

Hello, 

its lovely to read all your posts about having MVD surgery and recovery. I had had a phone call today from queens med in Nottingham to have MVD surgery on 12th may 2015. I am very nervous but I know I'm in safe hands. Could anyone tell me if possible how long the surgery is please. They have found my archery is lying underneath the nerve which the consultant says it makes the operation a little more complicated and the risks area little higher.they also have no idea what they can do until they get in there so to speak.  Thank you xx

• Posted

Hi, You have yours 3 days before me!  Mine will be at Kings on the 15th May biggrin  Really hoping it works as I'm sure you are too.  Wouldn't it be great not to have TN, I've forgotten what a pain free and drug free life is like!  I have asked the surgeon very little about the op which I am starting to regret.  I'm heavily reliant on the internet for info and those wonderful (albeit a bit naff) MVD films.  I'm expecting 1-2 hours and have been told by Kings that my stay will be 5/7 days.  Need to be out under a week though as my son's last primary sports day is 7 days later!  However, as I have been to work on several occasions in severe pain in the past 6-8 years, and moderate pain most other times, I will be taking all the time off afterwards that I can and recuperate properly!  I really hope all goes well with your op and will keep everything crossed for the both of us.   Marie
    • Posted

Hi Marie,

Thank you for sending me a message smile. I really really hope all goes well with yours! I was the same I asked very little info about it but my husband was sure the consultant/surgeon said it was around 6 hours long which I thought sounded a little long but on other hand they have found a complication with me, some how iv got it on the left and right branch but instead of the archery going over it's under the nerve and the surgeon says it makes things more complicated and the risks are a lot higher ie stroke and he said that it was extremely rare to have it the way I have so fingers crossed all goes well smile but I was that taken back by it all I couldn't ask questions as nothing was coming out. The surgeon thinks iv had tn about 10 years but gone undiagnosed as the drs kept blaming it on stress, I'm 29 and not a stress sort if person! I hope we both have success and be rid of tn for the max 10 years!!. Please make sure you rest afterwards and do not run before you can walk as we will have better chance of it working well smile. Iv had to finish work as has the tn has got to the stage where the pains there all the time badly and I keep passing out due to the pain. The drs have me on morphine but don't always work and plus I have a 2 year old son to look after so not a ideal situation. I hope you have plenty of help throughout the whole duration. This operation is going to transform our life's and we will be able to go outside in the rain/wind and be able to eat instead of drinking food wink. You have all the luck and best wishes in the world from me. Would be lovely to know how you get on xx

• Posted

Hay just thought I'd let you know iv been for the pre op today and the surgeon said from start to finish mine will be 5-6 hours! So god only knows what there doing and I don't dare ask wink
    • Posted

Hi,  Hope all went well?  Mine was cancelled!  Kings has Norovirus at the moment.  My consultant only works one day a week so god knows when I'll get mine.  Let me know how the op went and hopefully you're pain free??biggrin
    • Posted

Hello,

Sorry it's been so long. My surgery went ok thanks But the recovery has been a battle. I have had problems with the nerves and muscles as something a little hard to explain didn't go as planned. They said it would settle within a few weeks but ended up back in again and then again they gave me medication and said it would be another couple of weeks but I'm around 3 months on and not been a day without a headache sad not sure if this is normal. How did yours go? Well I hope! and again sorry for the delay x

• Posted

Oh dear, doesn't sound as if you're having a great time.  I hope they can sort the headaches out.  I gather the TN pain has gone though?  My MVD is this Friday (21st)!  Really don't know what to expect as everyone seems to have had different experiences.  Just hope my surgeon has a steady hand!

Regards, Marie

• Posted

My wifes operation took barely more than an hour.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying, that's very fast compared to what I thought it may be. Hope your wife is well. Thank you
  • Posted

My MVD is scheduled for June 4. I would love to hear how everyone's recovery is going!
    • Posted

Thinking of you this week kenleigh and wishing you a smooth journey and successful outcome
    • Posted

You're so sweet, thank you! I'll be sure to update how it went and try to document the recovery process a bit.
  • Posted

Hi 

May 5th 2015 I was taken to theatre for 6 hours. I woke up in critical care and the next day I was on a normal neurology ward. 7 days later and I was allowed home. Yesterday it was removal of my staples. Whoop !!!

Now I could say all was great but I would be lying, believe me when I say you have pain  you do. Yes the T N pain as disappeared but there is a whole new pain, with strong painkillers it's controlled.  I am 11 days post op now and all pain as gone I just find it uncomfortable to sleep, I've lost my hearing in my right ear and I have weakness on my left side but with time and rest they should return to normal.

I am happy I had the surgery and I would recommend it to other sufferers.

Just remember take it easy and do rest! It is still brain surgery you are having ! 

• Posted

Excellent news.  6 hours......wow.  Hope mine is a lot quicker!  Take it easy x
    • Posted

You mentioned the numbness & deafness in your right year. I also have numbness on the right side of my face and tongue. Also have deafness or tinnitus in my ear. Operation was the 4th May numbness is improving and dbl vision has improved. There has been no improvement in hearing. Just wondering if your hearing has improved at all ? No TN pain any longer which is great. 
    • Posted

Hi ann 

unfortunately my hearing hasn't returned as of yet. Glad to hear that some numbness is improving . But I am pleased that I also have no TN pain .

• Posted

Hi Kim, thanks for responding to me. Fantastic that you have no TN pain. I am wondering if the surgeon was able to tell you why you lost your hearing, and if this is permanent or will improve over time also. My surgeon was quite surprised about loss of hearing or what the cause is. I have Tinnitus in my ear , which is quite distressing at times. Thanks .
    • Posted

My husband had his surgery on June 8, 2015. The surgeon told him in advance that there was a possibility he could lose his hearing  permanently. Doctor said they have to be very careful not to bump the hearing nerve (cochlear nerve).  My husband did not lose his hearing. But the doctor said if he did he could have a cochlear ear  implant. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.