Mid back pain for 3 months ..help!!! A mystery diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, im a 41 y o male with this dull middle back pain ( around T-11 or 12) for about 3 months now. It came out of nowhere, and it usually is fine and starts hurting around 5 pm after work . When im walking and up and around it doesnt really hurt , but when i sit in a comfy soft chair it kills. Pain is like a 4 out of 10 , its dull and maybe it will go away for a day but it always comes back. I dont remember doing anything to my back what so ever. I can move around fine . went to the doctors 3 times but he keeps wanting me to go to physical therapy but i keep telling him its not mechanical. He finally gave me an x ray of my thoracic spine and it was totally fine. What do i do ? is it just anxiety like he says? .. He also told me its a muscle spasm... But for 3 months?!! I also smoke so of course i look on google and now im convinced i have lung cancer that spread to my spine . I should have never looked it up . So do you guys think i should just give the physical therapy a try and let it spread all over ? or just go the ER and get a ct scan?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

hey Jason sorry to hear you’re struggling. i can relate so much. maybe sharing my story will help assure you. nearly a year ago to this day i started with mid back ache/pain every single day. no apparent cause. caused me a great deal of health anxiety. i had every test you could think of and nothing came out of any of them. after 3 months and a lot of reluctance i finally agreed to give physio a try and did it for about 6 weeks. the therapist there told me she could feel the spasms in my back. can’t believe you could have a muscle spasm for MONTHS. i stopped after 6 weeks as i dont believe it was making any difference. but finally in late spring of this year it let up. so for 8 months i suffered physically but more so mentally. may i ask what you do for work? i believe mine was due to long periods of sitting in my home office with poor ergonomics. i still have mid back issues on and off but believe my anxiety about it being something serious has lessened which has helped release any further tension i was holding in my back. try your best not to think the worst. easier said than done i know! here to chat any time. be well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.