Mid foot fusion.

Posted , 83 users are following.

Hiya. I had a mid foot fusion 2 weeks ago now. I am really struggling with non weight bearing. Has anyone else dealt with this please. I am crying with frustration. My husband and I are very keen walkers and it is really hard not being able to get out and about under my own steam.

look forward to hearing your tips.

8 likes, 252 replies

252 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The depression is a real kicker i honestly believe it should be explained pre op and most certainly post op, for those unaffected beforehand it can be bewildering to be in pain, bored and worried. I also had a bout of it though mine was later on as i kidded myself that when the 12 weeks were up i'd be right as rain again and i most certainly was not. As for pain relief when i was in hospital for the 3 days i was in agony and was having liquid morphine squirted into my mouth but nothing was given to me upon release. I was on tramadol for 2 years before being given the op and so kept them on my repeat prescriptions although i did not suffer too badly after first week or so. The pins and needles and numbness i put down to the cast as it never affected me when it was removed and i went into the air boot. I felt that once i was given all clear i would throw myself back into action and if you can brilliant but i would say be cautious, it took 6 months before xrays showed bones had knitted together and for a period of 3 or so weeks i thought it had all been in vain and i would have to undergo it all again. This was as im sure you understand was a tough period. I am in fact supposed to undergo the same procedure on my other foot but i am thinking of just continuing without it especially as i have to have another op to remove metalwork and tidy up any problem with the tendons. Stick with it i'm sure you are over reacting to what you perceive to be your husbands frustration although i completley understand where you are coming from. The things you take for granted are suddenly precious tasks but it does get better or at least easier to handle and im sure your husband would be distraught to think you were uncertain to ask of him. Dont risk further injury by being  a hero and feel free to contact me if you wish, to blow off steam or vent your frustrations i know i wish i had somebody who had been through it before
    • Posted

Professionally I am intrigued by the "tendon surgery" which you report.

Can you tell me the details and the reason?

Best Wishes...

• Posted

hi the operation was navicula cuniform arthrodesis which i believe is the foot fusion, as well as this the surgeon shortened the tendons by making an incision approx 6-8 inches up from the foot on inside of my calf. This was done at the same time and was pre planned. I had been diagnosed with flat feet and had been fitted with numerous insoles, steroid injections, MRI scans, some kind of electro conductivity test prior to the surgery. The symptons consisted of hot stabbing pains to the outside of my feet i described as like having a red hot knife slashing at your foot. There was also sudden pains when in bed where i would wake with the flashing stabbing pains, these were always at their worst when either sitting down or lying in bed and pre surgery were increasing with severity and frequency. My toes point up when i'm walking or sitting and it takes a concentrated effort to put them flat  something which entertains my family. I think the tendon surgery was probably meant to correct this but it hasnt so far, apart from the pain in my instep which surgeon says is the screws rubbing against skin ( I am awaiting surgery to remove metalwork) i also now have a tightness on inside of my ankle which despite physio and being 12 months since surgery shows no signs of recovery. I am hopeful that when i have next surgery this will improve.I was originally scheduled to have same procedure on my other foot but at present i think i will just tolerate the problem as I'm not convinced the surgery option has been worth it  as i am now in pain 24 hours a day as opposed to the spasms pre op
    • Posted

Hiya. Thank you for your reply. I am very frustrated and want things done " my way" I suppose. Poor Husband. I'm sure you are right about him. I've always looked after him and the house whilst he has done the garden, car and dogs, so feeling guilty he has to do it all. Like you, I'm thinking of not having the other foot done and hope it will be okay when I go back to work as I have taken semi retirement and gone from 37.5 hrs a week to 15 hrs, so that should help. I wasn't given any painkillers also when I left hospital and was in as a day case. I had co codamol and tramadol at home which takes the edge off.  It's the boredom and frustration more than the pain, but I'm going out more in the wheelchair so that's a big help. Thank you for your help. Regards. Michelle.
    • Posted

Thank you for the helpful and comprehensive description, which is much appreciated.

I deduce that the tendon which was shortened was tibialis posterior. Your claw toes will not be corrected by this.

I would very much like to keep in contact with you for the next many months or years, to assess the outcome of your surgery for (as I have said) professional reasons.

All my best wishes,

• Posted

that's fine, as regards name of tendon that does sound familiar but i would be lying if i told you it was right. There was a lot of information given to me the day i was told i was to have the operation mostly in a matter of fact type of way which mostly over my head. It was actually my Diabetic doctor who looked up my record and wrote down the name so that i knew what i was having done. I  live on the Wirral in merseyside this may help you find out my surgeon, whom i have great respect for but would not feel comfortable publicly naming him on here
    • Posted

Agreed that is not acceptable to name individual health-carers publically.

That you have diabetes adds to the jig-saw puzzle which I am trying to construct from your history.

It would be good to hear from you, perhaps via the private e-mail offered by this site.

• Posted

OK i will look into that did not realise that facility was available here
    • Posted

You just created a huge sigh, I'm going to have midfoot fusion on Metatarsal 1 and 2 and using my ankle as a donor next week. Everyone on this forum has been so infomative and suppotive. Thanks for letting me know you are there, I know 3-4 months of sitting around will drive me and my husband bonkers, hopefully not depressed. My job requires me to walk 5-6 miles a day, which I used to enjoy. I am excited to have the surgery as I am confident in my surgeon. I have had alot of pain, even with ,the Arizona Brace, which I would highly recommend in the beginning of pain. I am now absolutely ready for surgery, I can hardly walk. I will see you soon on a better note!
    • Posted

Hi Mary,I hope surgery went well. I had my surgery 6 weeks ago and am going today to find out if I get my cast off today :-)  If you can get a knee scooter do so, they are amazing. I went back to work in a week and my husband and I go to the mall, stores and out to eat. I use it around the house all the time and get around pretty well. I would go bonkers if I had to sit at home for months!! Hope this helps and you are doing well.

• Posted

will  the inplants in  my  heel , the titanium strips and screws be taken out at some stage ? It will be 7 month post op in the 1/9/16 
    • Posted

Hi Mary,I am due to have surgery next month and because of severe arthritis  in my shoulders(and all of my other major joints)I won't be able to use crutches so I was interested t hear that you have been using a knee scooter.I have been considering getting one of these as it does seem to be a viable option to crutches.Did this aid your recovery process to any significant degree?The only alternative option available to me is a wheelchair which I would struggle with in my small bungalow.

• Posted

Hi orient mick , i see you wrote this comment around a year ago id like to know how everything is going with the fusion becausr ive had a talo navicular fusion coming up to 3 months am now in a weight bearing cast but im experiencing all the symptoms you have mention the pain on the instep and pain on inside of malleous ( ankle bone ) but the surgeon never touched my tendons id just like to know whst sought of pain are you going through a year on thanks .matthew
    • Posted

Hi just read your blog, I'm six months and feel exactly as you did when you wrote it, are you any better now?

• Posted

Hi, I notice you say it was 6 months until X-rays showed your bones had fully fused. I have just been for my 3 month check and hoped to have the air boot gone!, dr stated that hadn't quite fused but still advised to start putting little bit weight on foot and try to walk round indoors without airboot but I'm worried I shouldn't be walking at all until fully fused ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.