Mid foot fusion.

Posted , 83 users are following.

Hiya. I had a mid foot fusion 2 weeks ago now. I am really struggling with non weight bearing. Has anyone else dealt with this please. I am crying with frustration. My husband and I are very keen walkers and it is really hard not being able to get out and about under my own steam.

look forward to hearing your tips.

8 likes, 252 replies

252 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It is often perceived that "healing" takes a few days, because skin can heal in three of five days.

"Orthopaedic healing", of dense structural tissues takes months, perhaps years.

Unfortunately it seems that you were not pre-warned prior to the surgery about this (long and normal) convalescence, with which you now have to deal.

Were you adequately instructed in crutch walking, and were your crutches correctly measured?

• Posted

Hiya Jp. My consultation was very short and concentrated on the physical side of the surgery and nothing about the mental side of it.  I saw a physio before my op, but nothing after when I had my partial pot on which was very much harder. When I saw the physio, I was given a Zimmer frame because I couldn't manage the crutches , although now I found the crutches very much easier and as luck had it, we had a pair of crutches belonging to my husband that I used. I am frightened I am going to fall and end up disabled and I wouldn't be able to cope with that as I am such an active person. 

Thank you for your reply.

kind regards.

Michelle.

• Posted

Hi JP I have had a triple arthrodieses in 2003.. But now I have arthritis in my metatarsal TMZ..  I’m having a midfoot fusion next week as all other efforts failed..

How will this effect my recovery and the future. Of walking and getting back to work... I would ask my dr but he’s so fast and in and out of the room.. any info would be good especially how the 2 surgery’s together would impact my life thankyou from Anthony  

• Posted

I have had the surgery. You have to be patient and remember the foot structure is very complicated and fusion etc takes longer to heal. Mine too a good 3-4 months to be comfortable and then another 12 months to be back to "normal". Lots of swelling happens (including toes). Surgeon usually advises no weight bearing for at least 6 weeks. I highly recommend getting a knee scooter during this phase as it makes life easier and crutches you are limited. Just be patient and get a good pair of laceup shoes for when you can walk due to swelling that comes and goes.

• Posted

I only had my op on Friday and already am so frustrated , I am very active and never sit down during the day ! I am really struggling on crutches, my husband is going to pick a wheelchair up today for when I can have a little outing ! At t he moment I keep getting really bad twitchy causing my leg to spasm is this normal ? I am really unsteady on my crutches I think the amount of painkillers isnt helping though and physio spent 5 mins of demonstrating how to use them ! Good luck to everyone ☺

• Posted

o am bow 15 wks post op!. i can walk with put the boot in house but if i go round the supermarket ect i have to wear the boot otherwise i am in agony!.

i couldnt use the crutches for the same reason!

ai i bought a second hand i walk 2.0, and its brillant!. i wouldnt of been without it now!..

how ever i am still in a lot of pain! at my 12 wk post op i was told that bone work is all ok, even thpugh i dint get and xray, and that the cronic pain i am in is just soft tissue damage!

iv reasearched on line and othe pateints have said it could take up to two years before its anywhere near normal!. and at the monent im inclunded to agree! i can obly wear really wide and a size up in shoes!... i cannot wear heals at all as the pain os crippling me!

keep up on ur pain killers at all times is my beat advice!. wiggle ya toes as much as possible! and watch out for muscle waistage in ur lower leg, i am currenlty under going physio for mine!.. good luck...

• Posted

Hi Liz, It was a year ago today (Happy Halloween!) that I went to my 3 month check up after mid foot fusion on my left foot. Surgery was August 11 and I was non weight bearing the entire time. I had a great attitude though because I trusted the doctor to fix my bones and she said the arthritis that was giving me so much pain was removed. I didn't have pain at that time because I was not putting any pressure on it. But she said when I went in that I had put weight on it and it was not healing! I was so discouraged and felt angry and worried. She made it sound like it would probably never heal now because I had messed it up earlier. Whaaaat??

I stayed on my knee walker until Christmas to try to get it to heal. After that I was in a boot until May, so over nine months of walking weird and yuck, gaining so much weight. I still have pain in my foot, but it is manageable. But stay off your foot as much as you can if you want it to heal! At one of my appointments after the surgery, my doctor told me this could take a year to heal! I never heard that before either. I now have a doctor that has me on a bone stimulator to try to get the bones to wake up and fuse on their own. If it doesn't happen, he will do the surgery again to fix my foot. But I really hope to avoid that. The stim takes several months to work if it is going to at all. I have broken hardware in my foot that is easy to remove if the stim works also, so he says.

Good luck and I am amazed at so many people that are having problems with this operation. Wish I had known more about it 16 months ago!

• Posted

had my mid foot fusion in 9th april 2018 still in boot and crutches operation hasnt worked.....

ive had issues with DVT and severe pain... surgeon says i have a bone non union problem something to do with not healing at operation site.... So i have to have another big operation on dec 3 this year... also getting pain from my triple artrodiesis that i had in 2003.. cant he just chop the bloomin foot off 

• Posted

Oh Anthony! I can so sympathize. Crutches are impossible. And no one talks about the mental bottom you feel. My doctor also blamed me for not healing, but I honestly don't think I did anything wrong. Why don't they just come out and say you may not heal! I'd rather have honesty than false hope. Speaking of cutting the foot off I went swimming in the ocean off the coast of Florida this summer thinking I would see if a shark would bite my foot off! Then we could see how a bionic foot would do, right?! Got to keep a sense of humor.

• Posted

Hi Been following you ladies sounds like we are in the same boat.

I'm 3 weeks post op for removing all hardware and refusing one spot that never fused. They put in a different contraption and some bone growth stimulator. I'm also using a Bone growth stimulator in 2 spots every day. Wow nerve pain. Like crazy so working on going on a plan for 12 Gabapentin a day. still able to get some pain killers put my state wont let me have much for very long. darn government and drug addicts. I cant use crutches so I'm on knee scooter. OCT 16 this surgery date , last years Oct 30th.2017. Feeling like it's really going to be better. cant wait until next appointment after Thanksgiving praying for so weight bearing.

keep me informed of you progress. Let me know about nerve pain. thanks. Happy Thanksgiving, Lori Beth

• Posted

Hi,

Is there anyway you can get a knee scooter. Saved me. I get around so much better.I cant use crutches because of shoulder problems. Last years surgery my insurance would not ever pay for one for anyone. But I was able to go to a community center that gives them out free if they get any donated in which they had so I scored. But this year I have new insurance it probably would have paid but I had a friend that knew someone that lent me theirs. I cant tell you how nice they are and kind of fun

There is no way a wheel chair would work for getting around my house with 2 indoor labs. lol

Good luck. keep us informed. Happy Thanksgiving, lillibee

• Posted

i am 2 weeks on , I saw my consultant 2 days ago and the wound is healing ok but I am in so much pain still and nerve pain still so annoying but all they say is " its to be expected" - I am very bored but have decided to begin and research my family tree ! GOOD LUCK

• Posted

I had mine done 2 YEARS AGO!! I really wish I had seen at least 3 surgeons first.

I wonder if I needed it!!

it is healed but I've had to buy lots of new sneaker like shoes. I like Merinos wool the best. My foot still hurts.

I had to be off of my foot totally for 2 months, I bought a kneel on scooter from Amazon!! I had a hospital bed in my family room but from there I spent two weeks in a rehab center.

where are you? you could borrow my scooter!!

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

HI Lillibee and a few others I recognize. its been a while since i've come on the site. i am 1 year post op for my right mid foot fusion and 2 1/2 years post op for my left foot fusion. i still am having issues with my left foot: numbness which is permanent nerve damage and my second toe will fold under whenever i walk in bare feet or trying to put shoes on. I had a bad fall 2 weeks ago and thought I had messed up my hardware but an x-ray shows all is still in place. I am just concerned because my left foot can now move side to side whereas before it was only able to move up and down... I have had a lot of falls since my left foot surgery 2 1/2 years ago. My balance is way off and am now in physio to hopefully help with balance issues.

My right foot surgery wound had a lot of problems if you remember Lillibee. it had not closed and became horribly infected and deteriorated down to the bone. it has now all healed and thankfully I am able to walk but with my RA as the day progresses the pain increases in both feet which is truly annoying. I was able to manage our cottage rental business but practically had to live on my pain meds to do it. I have opted to take this winter off from surgery as i still need a few more on my right foot. My body needs time to recuperate so I see my surgeon on the 19th of this month to talk about my surgery for next November. It would be great to have feet transplants. I've always thought llama hooves would be fun lol. It is truly heartbreaking to hear so many are still suffering with excruciating pain post op. It is so helpful having this little online community to share our pain and questions. Kudos to those who have found relief. Knee scooters are a must! So is a great support system!!!

Kim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.