Mid foot fusion.

Posted , 83 users are following.

Hiya. I had a mid foot fusion 2 weeks ago now. I am really struggling with non weight bearing. Has anyone else dealt with this please. I am crying with frustration. My husband and I are very keen walkers and it is really hard not being able to get out and about under my own steam.

look forward to hearing your tips.

8 likes, 252 replies

252 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been only heel weight bearing for 5 weeks now but must admit for the first 4 weeks it was so painful to walk on my heel that I opted to be non weight bearing. I have managed to now do most things by carrying a rucksac permanently to carry things and shuffling a lot on my bottom. Life is very limiting I know and I have been depressed and quite definitely on a huge emotional rollercoaster, the first couple of weeks were the worst. Like you |I am very active 52 year old who works and walks dogs twice a day, gym and running. I now try and fill my days with something I have achieved I have been learning french on line and teaching myself to play guitar from you tube. Both things |i would not normally have time for, also reading masses. Wheelchair has been a god send for getting out, relying on friends and hubby for lifts even if it's just to have a coffee at the garden centre. Hope you find some way around your situation, it is really hard and very frustrating. X
    • Posted

I had to remain NONWEIGHT BEARING for 2 months!! No weight on my heel!!!

I had a navicular cuneiform fusion..still hurts.

• Posted

Mid-foot surgery is often performed blithely. As a foot and ankle surgeon I am often left perplexed, and I would like to follow as many people as possible who have had mid-foot surgery.
    • Posted

I have Dalteparin sc injections which is what I expected. I was also expecting to have to wear a ted stocking but was not given one or asked to wear one. I am a little worried about dvt because of this.
    • Posted

Hello, I have just had midfoot fusion, first tmtj and lisfranc ligament. I have a very interesting injury and treatment history. I am happy to support your wish to know more. I have done research and seen several practitioners before choosing to receive surgery. Please be in touch if you like...
    • Posted

HI JP I am 56 and had mid foot and ankle surgery abour 3 years ago. I have Bilateral Charcot Arthropathy. Following the suregery i was in a cast for 6 months and then a removable cast for another 6 months until my foot was fully fused. I am in Orthotic Footware. I had my operation at Kings College Hospital in London due to the very complexed nature of the op i was transfered to kings from my local hospital down in kent. It is still very painfull and there are times when i wish i did not go ahead with the surgery and took the option of possible amputation as i believe that my quality of life would have been better now.

My other foot is next on the list for a proceadure but im waiting for the movement and swelling to stop before any desision is made with regards to what best to do. after being on this forum i have many questions for my doctor at kings when i next go in a couple of weeks.

Best regards

Peter

• Posted

Hi JP. I had a mid foot fusion 12 months ago.

The operation went well with no pain at all post op. But the foot has started to ache when used over the last couple of months.

I also suffer from some sharp excruciating pain but I think this is from the foot being put in a position the fusion locks against

Going back to my GP to check ithisf is an expected side effec.t

• Posted

Hello Mother Jo. I'm interested in seeing how you are doing now. How far out from surgery are you?  Which bones did you have fused?  How many plates and screws?  I had a motorcycle accident about 20 years ago where I broke/crushed most bones in my mid foot, and am facing fusion surgery as my pain level is unbearable. How are you doing?
    • Posted

Hi Tracy,

I'm 11 half weeks post op. I use my aircast boot and crutches pwb outdoors. My surgeon recommended I take the weight off and rest again due to pain with pwb. I have numbness and pain at hardware placement areas. I cannot walk unaided without pain. I have a review mid May with xray. I feel I need to slow down. Healing takes months, patience and careful listening to symptoms. I had Lisfranc ligament stabilisation and 2 screws first tmtj. Good luck

• Posted

i had foot fusion surgery on april 1st this year in plaster and then boot and surgery successful but still in pain from arthritis and surgeion say it is coming from my back my obseravation is that i am walking badly to avoid pain and putting out my back so some pain there i do not know what to do  i swim and walk but at 78 do not want to be in pain after i did try to address the problem 
    • Posted

Hello, I had mid-foot arthroplasty some five months ago for very painful mid foot arthritis, which I had suffered for several years, and which deformed my foot substantially.  I am much improved, and I am supposed to front up again to have my other foot done.  Needless to say, I am not looking forward to it.  It is a big, debilitating operation and, until you experience it, you really don't know what to expect. I was in a bad way because my other foot would not support me, so I could not use crutches.  I purchased a scooter but could not use it, because my knee would not allow me to kneel on it.  So, a wheelchair was the only option which saved me.  However, I was totally dependent, which is very hard to take.  I had very good family support.  I don't think you could contemplate the surgery without good support.  My foot is still swollen, but I keep it down somewhat with support bandage.  I still have some pain, manageable, and pins and needles, but nowhere near as bad as it was prior to surgery.  My surgeon never said anything about physio, so other than walking on it, and my other foot being problematical, I do little else other than walking.  I have multi osteo-arthritis, so am on a lot of painkillers.  I think I am better off than I was prior to surgery, so, if I want to be able to get around with my children and grandchildren, then I probably will front up for surgery on the other foot.  I was desperate for information on post-surgery recovery, so one day I just googled "expected recovery for mid-foot fusion" and came across this site, which I found to be most helpful. I see some people talking about getting the metal removed; I was never told anything about that: I fully expected to die with that metal in me, to go along with the other metal parts in me.

• Posted

Thats a brilliant spot on account of the op, I had my left foot mid fusion 7 weeks, am in the air boot, got another 5 weeks in it before walking unaided, which am nervous about.  I have to have my other foot done but drs have said must wait a year once left foot is fully healed, its ben horrendous on my right foot and has just exasberated the pain in it, but like you say a wheelchair is the only means.

My problem is work and the fact they are hassling me to return but Im afraid im not putting in jeopardy the work the surgeon has done as since the op I have had none of the constant burning/throbbing pains in the foot atall.

• Posted

Yes, Jane, as you say, the pain in the unoperated foot is enhanced because you have been nursing the operated foot.  I wasn't told about waiting for a year to have the other foot done though.  You don't want to go through it again, but you might as well finish the job; your objective, that is to be able to walk some distance without pain, is why you had started the road to surgery.

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I'm 12 weeks out from my midfoot fusion and transitioning to life outside the boot. Was your tarnsition painful for the first few days/weeks? My doc says the xrays look good but my pre-op pain returned within hours of weightbearing in my regular shoe. I'm back inthe boot for now.

Like you, I have to have the other side done and am scheduled for second side surgery in 4 weeks (16weeks after first side).....too soon?

Best wishes to you,

Clay,

• Posted

Clay, I just joined this group and wondered  how you are doing at this point after surgery.  I had mid foot fusion on Nov 10, 2017.  Did that pre op pain dissipate after you got out of the boot from for the last time?  That had to be very discouraging.   I walked around with that severe pain for 11 years before finally deciding to get the foot repaired.  I’m fighting a torn rotator cuff along with the foot recovery.  Been fun. 

Janice

• Posted

I had mid foot fusion on 6/10/17 along with shortening the posterior tibial tendon and calcaneal osteotomy.  I am 22 weeks post-op and most problem is tightness in the ankle and foot from incision.  Walking gets better every day but going down stairs is still problematic.  Trying to do my Pt exercises so walking is easier but I also have to have a rotator cuff repair in the next few weeks!!  My foot pain is so different and so much less than pre-op!  I do have to have the other foot done but my surgeon wants to wait a full year.  Hang in there - it does get better!

• Posted

Hi Clay - my fusion was 22 weeks ago - still having pain but not the same pre-op pain at all.  I also wasn't allowed to transition to a shoe until 12 weeks but for only a few hours each day and then back in the boot for the rest of the day.  My surgeon said earliest he would do second foot is 9 months and he preferred I wait a full year.  When I asked if I could do it sooner he told me it would put to much stress on my first foot.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Ann, 

THanks for replying.  I feel bad you have to get the other foot done, plus the rotator cuff.  I know I’ll have my rotator cuff repaired after all this is over.  Ugh.  So glad your foot feels much better post op.  I’m hoping mine does as well.  Been miserable for 11 yrs.  I’m having a time with the no weight bearing on that foot.   Don’t quite see how that is possible.  I put weight on my heel if I lose my balance or stand in front of the mirror.  Thanks for the encouragement!    Take care.    

Janice

• Posted

Hello People, It is twelve months since my mid-foot fusion and I was scheduled to have my other foot done about now.  I don’t know yet if I will go through it again.  My bones have fused well, but I do still have some trouble with quite discomfort, more so towards the end of the day.  I don’t walk so well and if I’m sitting down with my legs raised and I flex both feet, the feelings are the same in each foot.  The big lump on my operated foot has gone, of course, but it is not painless and my toes on both feet still claw when I walk.  I wear rocker-sole orthotics permanently and I can walk for quite some hours at the shops, if I’m pushing a trolley.  I wonder if I should be content to leave things as they are; and accept that I won’t go for long, fast walks ever again and be grateful that I can do what I do.  I have had two knee replacements six years ago but they are giving me trouble again, from my walking, I think.  And my whole spine plays up terribly.   All this, from osteo-arthritis.  I, too, have had a shoulder replaced 18 months ago, which is great; however I do have to have the other done, in a short space of time, I think.  So, you see, I don’t quite know if I should go through all the drama and pain associated with having my other foot done. It aches periodically and if I turn or do any fast on it unexpectedly, wow, pain, but, as I said, I am walking reasonably well on it.  I am 70 years young.  I have found this forum really helpful; I have learned such a lot from reading it.
    • Posted

Hi, I just had a revision on my surgery from last year and got my hard ware out although they put some new in one spot to refuse where it never did.

I am so curious to know how you are doing Are feeling good? Walking without pain, enjoying a normal life now that it's been some time?

Thanks wanting to know so much about post life after healing. particularly since I'm a year int this and back to non weight bearing from same surgery same problem area. Wanna see the light at the end of tunnel.

Thank you,

Happy Thanksgiving,

lillibee

• Posted

I had metatarsal fusion 4 weeks ago today. After reading this forum along with the constant pain I have experienced I wish I had known what I was in for. I am very angry that I was not told until after surgery that I would be non weight bearing for 8 weeks at least. I was given barely any instructions, and now I am worried sick with the horrible pain in the ball of my foot tonight, that I have done some damage or caused weight bearing from the weight of my own foot on the wheel chair support. We are told not to believe what we read online yet we are also not given appropriate instructions on what to expect or how to take care of our healing. Depressed and frustrated, indeed I am 😃 to me, the pressure of my foot in the cast appears to be weight bearing and I didn't know putting any weight on my foot when in the wheelchair would hurt, my gp said it wouldn't, but then tonight I have found sites that say it is weight bearing. I do not want to become crippled through ignorance of what not to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.