Mid-thigh pain after hip replacement

Posted , 40 users are following.

I am 7 months post-cementless hip replacement and have recurring mid-thigh pain. I am at a loss on how to deal with this. I've read to cut back on exercise when it's bad and have also read to keep active and walk to help set the stem better. I have noticed that laying on my sofa too much is causing pain. I probably spend 3-4 hours during the day on the sofa watching TV. My bed doesn't seem to affect my thigh pain much. Has anyone else had this experience? It's a mystery to me what cause the increased pain. Standing seem to help somewhat. Any advice to deal with the pain? Thank you.

1 like, 88 replies

88 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dave, I had thigh pain for some time. I was told it was a combination of muscles healing and bruised bone,  our muscles take up to two years to heal. I would say that you should stop laying on the sofa so much. If your surgeon or GP have said there is nothing wrong with the stem, then it maybe you need to do more stretching. I fell 6 months post op. Landed heavily on knees. Thigh pain was bad, but after 3months I spoke to my GP. Saw surgeon who after X-ray said  there was no micro fracture. Which you can get. Keep active. 
  • Posted

Dear Bruce

Sorry that you are not moving forward as you you want.

I do not think resting is going to benefit the growth of bone to lock in your prosthesis but it will likely be setting back your recovery IMO.

If your x rays are fine keep up the exercises and if necessary the pain relief.

Good luck. Richard

• Posted

Richard, thanks for your comment. My sense also is not to rest too much but should I try to walk when I'm in pain or should I rest until some of the pain subsides.

Unfortunately the literature does not suggest what really works for mid-thigh pain after replacement. They seem to agree somewhat that the pain is caused by micro-movement of the femoral stem (end-of-stem pain) and lots of people say it will eventually lock in but there's not much consensus on how to lessen the pain.  It's frustrating. Comments welcomed. Thanks, Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave, just do some streching excersices  and some walking. That will help.

Pzin will slowly go away. Perhaps you should stop laying  on sofa for less time. Hydro therapy help as well. It will take time to heel.  

Take care Hug Madla💗

PS i got streching excersices from physio to loose  musles for mid thigh.

• Posted

Hi Dave, I am 13 weeks post op and apart from the thigh ache I am doing well.  My surgeon has told me to walk every day and keep doing the stretching exercises and rest for short periods of time only.  I do find that sitting for long periods does stiffen the muscles and my physio has told me to apply heat and also if the muscle in the buttock is stiff and painful rolling on a tennis ball although uncomfortable at first does really help to loosen the deep muscle tightness.  The occasional paracetamol is the only medication I take if the ache does get a bit too much.  I have been assured that it does get better eventually but when one is getting older our bodies take longer to heal.
    • Posted

Sheila, thanks for your response. Were you advised to try to walk even though you were having mid-thigh pain? I don't know whether to tough it out when I have pain or is this a signal to slow down? I would love some advice on this. Thanks. Dave

• Posted

I'm 4 months post THR and also have mid thigh pain.  I find the longer I stay sitting the stiffer it gets which in turn becomes painful.  I try and walk through it until it eases off.  I've started taking painkillers again too which helps.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi Dave, yes I was advised to walk but not beyond what I felt was comfortable, however I have found that to progress you do have to push yourself slightly.  I do find that sitting around is the worst thing I can do and try to keep pottering around the house and garden.  Light hoeing , weeding etc has helped, bending and stretching for things now that the 12 week period has passed, have all helped to reduce the ache and stretch the hamstring and tendons that have shrunk due to inactivity both before and after the op.  If you can swim this may now help as well but be careful not to overstretched the legs if doing breaststroke, 
    • Posted

Dear Pippy

Just a thought, have you tried a hot water bottle to try to relax the muscles. I would as a first off use the muscle relaxing pressure points techniques that my chiropractor taught me many years ago and if necessary also do the hot water bottle.

Good luck. Richard

• Posted

Hi Dave,

I had a FRHR (cementless) Just over a year ago.  I can tell you that I had pain in my mid thigh up until the 10th month.  My surgeon said this is normal as the bone grows around the stem. 

Best wishes as you continue to recoversmile

• Posted

Thanks, Kimberely. Did your surgeon suggest walking and stretching? Did she or he say you should walk even though you had pain? Thanks. Glad you're over the pain.

• Posted

I told him that I felt the pain (on and off) in my mid thigh whether I was sitting or walking.  I think I noticed it more when I sat for long periods.  He just said that it was normal and would go away in a few months.  I was about 7 months post op when I saw him.  The pain wasn't muscle related, so stretching didn't really help.  Have you tried a heating pad?  That helped me.

• Posted

Dear Kimberley

That observation that you found that a heated pad helped suggests to me that actually your pain was muscle pain <G>

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I find that Icing helps my pain. I understand I have inflammation of the tendons which I suppose is different to muscle pain
    • Posted

Actually, no.  Heat helps with my arthritis pain also.  I remember that both my artritis pain and the pain in my femur felt very similar. 
    • Posted

Icing helps to reduce inflamation in the soft tissue, such as muscle pain after surgery or a workout.  I was advised to heat the muscles prior to workout and then ice afterwards.  Seems to worksmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.