Middle back pain.....still!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been having this middle back pain for over a year now. It started July 2015 with pain in the rhs of my stomach, constant pain. Time went on and have had X-rays for lungs, nothing shown. Ultrasound which showed stone in gallbladder but too small to be symptomatic. Couple small kidney stones too, again too small etc. I go back to the docs and have now been sent to the hospital consultants. I had a ct scan last week and the doc has made a follow up appointment fr May 9th. I haven the spoken to the doctor and I asked the ladies at reception if it hadn't been bad they would have contacted me straight away, right? I am following this line of thought. Before all this I had two frozen shoulders, one left side first, then the right so as one was healing the other one started, now they seem ok but I have started to get pain now in my right shoulder joint at night, googled it obviously now out of my mind with worry again...........

i assumed that if I had middle back pain that the consultant would do full body ct scan but she only got them to do abdomen and, pelvis weird I thought. When I am working and using my arms the pain in my mid back gets worse and the tops of my shoulders next to my neck burn like crazy. Any one else with similar please

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I have degenerative disc disease, and have pain in my neck, middle of shoulders and lower back.

I have had this for several years, and now also have arthritis in my spine.

The pain you describe, especially the burning pain in your shoulders sounds as though it is coming from your neck, I can really identity with that, had exactly the same sensation , and still do, if I am using my arms for long, like ironing, and when I used to decorate.

The way I used to deal with the neck pain was to do a lot of gentle neck rolls every day.

If anything serious had been seen on your ct scan, they would have made a faster appointment. They may decide to do a more thorough scan.

Constant pain is very hard to live with, I hope a solution  is found in your case..

• Posted

Had chat with doc today and they are trying to get hospital appointment moved forward. I would think that my blood tests, numerous ones, would show some inflammatory markers if I had osteoarthritis or something like that wouldn't they?

• Posted

Are you in UK or elsewhere? You posted on the ovarian cyst page, do you have reason to believe you have cysts on your ovary(s)? Also , what is your age? I get all the symptoms you have and it's supposed to be osteo arthritis in my spine caused by scoliosis. (Curves spine). I had ovarian cysts until I had ovaries and tubes removed last year. I did not have the symptoms you describe with them! OA can cause the symptoms you describe so I suggest you speak to your doctor and raise the subject with him/her at your appointment. Good luck. rolleyes 

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna. I am in the U.K., as I had some low pelvic pain they thought a Ct of abdomen and pelvis in order. Found out this morning that I have some fluid low on my lungs. Doesn't sound good does it. Have no cough, no shortness of breath, no flu recently or any infections that I'm aware of. It's been a nightmare for the last 18 months trying to get some answers. I went to docs today to get them to bring my next consultant appointment forward. Have pain in my right shoulder joint too when I sleep on my tummy!!? Any input anyone? Thanks for the replies ladies

• Posted

The lung fluid can cause these symptoms too. I had a bad chest infection some years ago and had shoulder pain and spams in the shoulder/arm and upper back but no cough. A&E gave me anti biotics and some muscle relaxants and it improved the pain no end. The chest infection cleared up on the Ab's in afew days. Has your GP prescribed them for you yet? Some deep seated infections do need them, it may have been there some time. See GP again and let them listen to your lungs. x smile

• Posted

He didn't do any exam today just blood pressure. Don't understand as it's gone on for so long now, I'm worried it's lung cancer as used to smoke. Could be Pancoast tumour. 18 months now. Will see as think they will do another Ct scan. The waiting drives me crazy

• Posted

Have you got another appointment with GP soon? I suggest you make one if not and ask if he/she will listen to your lungs/breathing. Good luck. X rolleyes
    • Posted

Saw him today and he faced the hospital to get the scan pushed forward to an earlier date. Will call hospital in the am. That's the strange thing my breathing isn't a struggle, I'm not coughing or anything. Bit of fuzzy gurgling when I'm still, that must be the fluid he told me about. Will check back in when I know more thanks for responding helps to know someone able to listen x

• Posted

Good idea to call hospital. Tell them you can hear the gurgling when sitting quietly. Good luck, X smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.