Migraine for 18 days straight - help :(

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm at the end of my tether and I really need some help/advice.

I have had migraines for 10 years now, usually stress and hormone related.

Tried about 4 different preventative treatments, none worked so I 'manage' on triptans. ...

On the 23rd Nov 15 I had an attack - I put this down to the fact that my monthly cycle was due in 1 week so I began to rife it out with my symatriptans.

But it kept coming back every 4 - 6 hours later.. its now the 12th December and im still here in the same place. Iv had about 12 hours of pain reflief at most. Because it's been continuous, I have been taking a mix of ibuprofen and co codamol which I'm aware probably hasn't helped the situation.

This happened exactly the same time last year so I'm beginning to wonder if the weather/season is playing a strange role. I live on London. When it happened last year, the doctor changed my triptan for a month to Rizatriptan which after the 12 tabs, the migraine started tapering off and I ended up with my usual cycle. I could have sworn it was not as drawn out as this migraine though.

I'm currently lying here, in so much pain and I'm trying to hold off taking tablets because I'm worried about medication overuse but I jus can't handle the pain.

I'm stuck in a cycle which feels never ending. It's 85% in my right side - my face feels bruised from where I've rubbed my temples and also my face as it felt like I had a migraine in my face.

That feeling I take when I have a triptan is amazing as it starts to subside but then I spend the rest of the day worrying when the next one is going to hit me...

I have been reading about the daith piercing but have not spoken to someone who has said it actually works.

Has anyone has such a long episode before ? I could really do with some advice as I feel so depressedsad

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Shuk, Ive been the same since August 2014, I take a triptan daily, I don't know whether it is rebound headaches or I have been diagnoised with typical facial pain, which is nerve related, I feel alot better when I have a triptan, I cut in half, take the other half if I need to I get alot of pulling in my head..

I have heard about the Daith piercing, looking for someone in my area to do this, again trying what I can ..

good luck please keep us informed.....

• Posted

Hi Shaheen,

I actually just commented on your thread regarding the piercing. I definitely will smile

• Posted

i have had nerrv pain and migrains for about 15 years.i was taking nortrypatine which helpt for a few weeks .im now taking gabapentin been on them 4 weeks and found them very good with no side effects. cold water  and hot water pourde over the head cold first thn hot repeat this 4-5 times gives releife for a while. also i found solpadine very good takes headake away in about 10 mins but only lasts for the day and you cannot take it long term.lso biofreez sprayed on head is very good
    • Posted

Hi Dai, thank you so much for this... I will go to my Dr's and discuss

is it Nortrypatine or Noratriptan sorry to ask

I do like Solpadine, I have been told not to take as apparently aggrevates migraines, but when nothing works I do ..

will be buying the spray also

do you think the migraines are nerve related ?

I love straigtening my hair, enjoy the heat in my face soothing

bless you thank you so much

• Posted

Hi Dai, 

Thanks for your advice...i have managed to cut the codeine and remembered before I was introdced to triptans that the Alka Seltzter XS helped. I will use that now and try to limit triptans. 

I pierced my Daith today as there has been a lot of things circulating on tv/online about it helping migraines...it was VERY painful but im hoping it will be worth it. 

That spray sounds great, im going to see if they have it here.... 

• Posted

week 5 on gabapentin still no headackes or neck pain i think i have found my meds

• Posted

My mum takes that for her small fiber neuropathy. .. out of interest, how does it work for migraines ?

• Posted

I am so glad you have found a medication that is working for you right now.  Everyone reacts to medication on different ways.  I have tried the medication you are currently taking without much success.  My experience is that you keep trying different treatments including medications to find what works the best.  Hope you continue to feel better 
  • Posted

i havent had 1 yet and was having them about 4-5 times a week bu i dont know if they were triggerd by my neck pain
  • Posted

also u can get bio freeze on ebay large bottle for about £20

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.