migraine with aura scared

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had a aura in left eye for 10 mins and then pain behind right eye. Scared me so much had a panic on . Are these normal does any one else have them any advice please

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The aura that you are having is common in many headaches as well as the pain afterwards. For me I just live with them and tell people what beautiful things I see on the walls.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear about your Migraine Darryl.   Yes it is a normal symptom to have a pain behind the eye.  I've had a constant Migraine with Aura on and off for two months now with some truly worrying symptoms (loss of vision/neck pain/eye and sinus pain/dizziness etc).  Just to reassure you I have had a MRI scan and CT scan carried out and both have come back normal.  For me it's about managing the symptoms but I do totally understand the worry and stress such headaches cause.   I would recommend that you visit your GP just to get checked out and if the head pain or eye pain becomes unbearable call 111 for some advice.  I wish you all the very best and hope the symptoms subside soon.   With best wishes 
  • Posted

Hello smile just reassuring you also that I get this. My auras are either strange wiggly lines/dots or numbness or confused thinking/speech. Whilst I'm in two minds about being part of the 'select' group who gets auras with migraines I try to see the positive which is I get about a 20 minute notice before the pain comes - which is also very localised to one point and usually behind the eye. This means I can get to a safe place to sleep it off and throw pain and anti nausea meds down my neck which usually stops the worst of it. I'd recommend visiting your doctor if you haven't already to get a good migraine plan and medication. Best of luck, sorry to hear you're another sufferer.
  • Posted

Yes Darry 194146. It is very normal for many people... I have been having them Auras for 50 yrs now... Everyone might just get it a little bit different.. But it is usually a bad headache coming on...I will usually see like blind spots first, to where I cannot see like part of the T V...and within 5 mins I will start to see like zig zaggings to the sides of my eyes ...the whole thing takes 20 mins and it is gone...but I have found out that if you do not take something right away for pain? That you will get the worse headache ever..I take two Anacins as soon as I see the Blind spots, and am fine after the 20 mins... Good luck, and Imwill day that after 50 yrs? It still scars me to death.
    • Posted

Hi Margarita,

It's so reassuring to read of someone who experiences migraines and their auras in the same way I do.

I would like to ask whether you have ever experienced anxiety as a result of your disabling symptoms?

I am 24 and am somewhat beginning to crumble under the persistent panic that my day is going to be ruined by a migraine. I have been sacked from jobs and failed university assignments from my panic or having to leave situations because I have started to experience aura.

I enjoy the outdoors but have become afraid of straying to far or attempting anything too challenging incase I get a migraine while I am doing it.

I am so afraid I will start to shy away from activities or social situations, I'm usually loud and out going but my fears are suppressing these personality traits.

Does anyone have any coping techniques? Everyone thinks it's " a headache" but I lose my sight, my speech goes weird & my body goes numb.

• Posted

I get the same way. I get so scared as i have one. I start panicking. Can't keep working. I feel stupid when i tell someone what is going on. Because most people have never experienced it sad

• Posted

Hello I am responding to you because I feel the same way. I am 25 years old.  I’m afraid to drive because of it. I get numb and even limp sometimes. Sometimes I can see half of something and other times I don’t see much of anything. I feel with my anxiety I make my migraines much worse. I also have a murmur in my heart due to my anxiety. When I was on birth control I had the worst migraines of my life so I stoped taking birth control. After stoping the birth control my migraines became manageable I get one once in awhile and not so intense. Although its now scarier to do anything because they are unpredictable. I am 25 and only got my permit recently because I am afraid to hurt someone if one comes on while driving. I would like to hear more about yours if you don’t mind sharing 
  • Posted

Yes, totally agree, sounds like classic migraine with aura. If you take your preferred pain killer at the onset the pain will be greatly reduced.
  • Posted

Thank you all for replying its sort of put me at ease but still worry a bit . I find myself sitting waiting for the aura to start think that a bit of my anxiety kicking in but thanks again just knowing im not the only one . Got docs on monday
    • Posted

I am glad you are seeing your doctor soon. Always try to be very specific with your symptoms and how you feel. Keeping a diary helps a lot. You know your body better than anyone else. But I know that we sometimes think we are crazy. I have auras every day but they can come in different forms. Sometimes the aura looks like the wall has been sponged. Sometimes lots of color sometimes it looks like newspaper print. Sometimes it is zigzag lines and all that. I told my doctor that it must feel and look like someone had taken an acid trip! For me humor is a big wAy thT I deal with all this stuff
    • Posted

Hi Darryl, I too get anxious and wait for the auras and get frightened. Sometimes if I'm driving and there is a heat haze I panic and worry it's my vision and I'll look around blinking and staring (must look weird!!) to try and work out what it is. When it's my speech that goes I can't always work out if I'm making any sense and goodness knows what people think is wrong with me, I was once talking to a guy in a shop and giving him my surname but couldn't say it right and couldn't spell it, and all the time I was talking I was thinking what's going on and is this a migraine and then when my tongue started to go numb I had to think quick (hard when you're confused) about how to get to a place I can cope with it if it was bad. It is frightening but be honest with your doctor and don't leave without a plan of how to deal and treat the symptoms and go back as many times as you need to. X
  • Posted

I think it is normal to feel afraid or to feel panic when we do get these things in our eyes...I have had them for 50 yrs, and I still panic when I get them...my Doctor told me not worry if it lasts like 20 or 30 mins...but he did say that if it was to last like hrs? To go to the E R cause it could be a mini stroke...mine have never lasted more then /0 to 30 mins
  • Posted

Do you find that after the aura it leaves a dull ache in the same eye for days after . I also find it odd that two tablets um on for anxiety ( propranonal and amiptaline ) are for migraine but dont seem to help
    • Posted

I think they call it a migraine hangover, I call it brain bruise! Yes sad
  • Posted

Hi Darryl

I too suffer from Classic Migraines and your description is right on.. I also have Aphalgic migraines commonly known as silent ones.  I get all the Auras but no pain.  My usual ones are blurred vision. numbness along my jaw,up the side of my face and down my left arm from my elbow to the tip of my thumb, pressure that feels like someone has their hands on my head spread open and are squeezing, increased BP and light/sound aversion.  I've been a migraine sufferer since I was in my early teens.  Recently was put on Frovatriptan (3 yrs ago) but have found it seems to be losing it's power. Have heard about people getting the inner part of their ear pierced (Catilige) but am still researching this as an option.  I'm 40...lol

• Posted

My migraine with an aura only started 12 months ago im 44 scared me so much didnt even know what was going on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.