Mind Or problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone

?

My names Adam and since January i have been living a nightmare.

?In January I had a endoscopy because i felt a lump when swallowing, like something catching.

?So it was done and i was diagnosed with Hiatal hernia and esophagusitis .

?Omeproazole 20 mgs and things was good.

About 3 weeks ago same symptoms came back and my omeprazole stopped working.

?Same lump feeling etc, But no my throat gets sore when i eat and when i eat food i cant get it down, Not big food, the small food :-p.

?Im driving myself insane with worry and im wandering if thats where the food sticking issue has arrisen from. I just had some crisps and now my throat is soar.

?I think im going to have a nervous breakdown :-(

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It might well be a bit of both, but it is certainly not 'just in your mind'.   Sometimes stress and tension affect the way that the nerves drive the swallowing process.    They can also raise the acid reflux level as well.

?The hiatus hernia will create acid reflux, so it is a question of whether you can have this repaired surgically.   You need to return to the doctor who prescribed the Omeprazole and review the dose.   I also recommend that you try some form of relaxation therapy; it won't be all the answer but it might help a bit. 

• Posted

First off no need for a nervous breakdown. I think in your case more investigation will be needed. Ask your doctor for a motility test, they need to check your swallowing mechanism. Secondly, stress and anxiety will make this worse - so please try and stay calm, I know its hard. Esophagitis can cause food to stick,your esophagus is inflammed. Maybe have the doctor increase or change your acid blocker meds. Your doctor also may prescribe a anxiety medication to help you relax, you sound very worried. 
    • Posted

im worried its cancer its been 9 months since i was diagnosed :-( im a nervous wreck and im only 34 my poor wife :-( has to put up with this
    • Posted

If you had a endoscope 9 months ago, and there was no sign of cancer - you would have the most aggresive cancer known to mankind. Get your mind off cancer, they would of seen it with the first endoscope. I have had swallowing problems for 20 + years, plus GERD and barretts esophagus. If you drink caffeinated beverages, smoke or drink - stop. Anxiety, can cause swallowing problems. With a motility test, they can check your swallowing mechanism - both upper and lower sphincters. Acid reflux, can also irritate the nerves in your throat - which in turn can cause swallowing problems. 

Have your doctor investgate more, and dont stop till you get a answer.

If you had no signs of cancer 9 months ago with the first endoscope, In my opinion, you dont have cancer, and like I said - I have been dealing with these issues for 20 years.

RELAX - your making things worse for yourself and your wife.

• Posted

My wife has said the exact same thing and i feel a disgrace for getting my self so worked up.

​I was supposed to go swimming with her and my 6 year old daughter, what did I do, wallow in my self pitty.

The endoscope did show my hiatel hernia and the esophagusitis, i hope its all linked again.

​Its just the food sticking that started a few days ago  thats what has started me being panic striken.

​thank you for replying its really helped. Im sick of going on google and looking for esophagus cancer symptons. Im an idiot , my dad had cancer , my best freinds dad had esophagus cancer and dies. So im just going over and over that in my head. If i had a scope i would do it to myself for peace of mind i need to stop this , its no good.

• Posted

Dont feel shame.

When things dont work, people get worried.

There are alot of nerves in the throat and esophagus, and yes this can cause alot of pain - a very,very,very small percentage is esophagus cancer.

I lost my mother, grandfather and grandmother to stomach cancer. I have had probably, 35 endoscopes in 20 years. I have never worried myself about dying of cancer, medicine and medication has come along way in 20 years.

35% percent of the population has hiatal hernias. Yes, its bothersome - and can be painful, but neither will kill you. 

I think you have a greater chance of being run over by an elephant, then having esophageal cancer. They would of seen it with your endoscope, and no cancer of the esophagus moves that fast in 9 months. 

STOP, the internet searching..........you will drive yourself crazy. Get a diagnosis, then search the problem. Your medical team is the best source of information, they deal with it daily.

Enjoy your family and listen to your wife.

I am always here to chat, now go for a walk and turn the computer off.

• Posted

Its tough because , When I eat some goes down , some seems to get 80% down then just wont go, Dr said if it was a stricture it would all block , hes put me on anti depressents for anxiety he reckons its making me worse, He again said because i had a endoscopy 9 months ago it wuld be pointless doing another one, It originally found hiatal hernia and esopagusitis , and no cancer would gro so quickly in 9 months, im an absolute nervous wreck
  • Posted

Hi Adam I have had swallowing difficulties for the last 10 months, I used to get myself all worked up and worried, I have had all the tests done and have been told it is psychological, I have since take on meditation Yoga, I have had acupuncture done and have had PIT Therapy and have found the it has really helped, maybe try Sahaja YOGA to help you relax.. hope you get some answers to from you GP but worrying is the worst thing you can do as it makes it worse!
    • Posted

Its tough because , When I eat some goes down , some seems to get 80% down then just wont go, Dr said if it was a stricture it would all block , hes put me on anti depressents for anxiety he reckons its making me worse, He again said because i had a endoscopy 9 months ago it wuld be pointless doing another one, It originally found hiatal hernia and esopagusitis , and no cancer would gro so quickly in 9 months, im an absolute nervous wreck
  • Posted

• Posted

Try massaging your chest area and/or standing up and dropping on to your heels in case that helps jerk the food through into your stomach?
  • Posted

Adam, is your throat and ur esophagus bothering you? Are you having chest pains, or back pains? I think the anti depressants are going to help with the stress and worry, and in some cases with the pain (these medications help modulate the pain signals) 

What ur describing to me sounds alot like esophageal spasms, but a motility test will be needed to confirm this. In your case, the upper and lower sphincters could be malfuntioning. This could be due to high stress and anxiety or a motor nerve issue. But again, without the proper tests - its just a guess. If there was a stricture or varices, they would of seen it in your endoscope. 

If your hiatal hernia is not severe enough, they are probably not going to perform surgury. I have a hernia, and have had one for 8 years - it doesnt cause these issues, and they wont repair mine because it is a very small hernia.

You keep mentioning a sore throat, and food gets stuck - I honestly think you need to ask the doctor about esophageal spasms, your symtoms are very similar to mine - and I have esophageal spasms. My esophageal sphincter has weakened due to years and years of GERD.

I know it is frustrating, but you need to find the answer with the help of your doctor. You are not dying, millions of people around the world suffer with these issues.

You need to monitor your weight as well, keep a diary. You also need to eat a balanced diet.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply

?I feel like Im having a break down.

?I had the camera 9 months ago and I was clear, well esophagusitus and hiatal hernia and the meds worked.

?But now i still get discomfort but when I eat i get some stuck at the bottom not all of it.

?I do not feel discpmfort when i swallow if that makes sense, and shockingly the larger fod seems to fo down fine, how random.

?As everyone keeps saying including the Drs, The scope was done and i was clear of cancer etc, it would be the quickest growing cancer to man to grow and give me the blockage in 9 months,

?Now I'm a paronoid mess, Ive lay in bed for 4 days and eaton less than 3 meals, The Dr has goven me citalopram meds, to see if it sorts me out and helps me get a grip.

• Posted

Well, if the meds worked - and then didnt work, have they mentioend increasing the dose?

Your only on 20mg? Thats a pretty small dose. I take 80mg a day.

• Posted

thats why im worried , worked before but not now,

​its the food blok im worried about-ive stoped eating as it keeps blocking and then my paranoia goes worse.

• Posted

You cant stop eating, plain and simple. You will be put in the hospital with a tube down your throat to feed you. The anti depressents are going to take 3-4 weeks to start working. 

All I can say is I hope you get an answer to your problem.

• Posted

Yep im gonna have to pull myself together.

I do appreciate the time you have taken to reply :-)

• Posted

Hi Adam, I completely understand how you feel, it is very frustrating, have you tried acupuncture to help with your anxiety, it really does help.. I can only advise that getting stressed and tension, will make it even worse.. I know it's easier said than done, but please try not to let it take over you whole life.. I can only advise what has helped me hopefully you may give it a try and it might help.. all the best I really hope you get answers!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.